Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

GOA HAS BECOME A TOILET

GOA HAS BECOME A TOILET

Old May 12th 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

babu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nice
Default GOA HAS BECOME A TOILET

To the Goa State Government, please allow me to sell my property (which I bought legally, had the Sales Deed registered, and from which purchase you were in receipt of Sales Tax and all other registration fees).

There is no longer any binding reason why I should wish to continue to struggle to stay in your increasingly filthy and dangerous self deluded "paradise" at the mercy of your degenerate politicians, puppet judiciary, corrupt bureaucracy, mafia style police, cheating and inept populace.

I promise I shall never return to bring any more of my foreign exchange which has been valuable to us both over these past 15 years. I shall be taking it to countries where there are genuinely "pristine beaches", proper infrastructure, efficient standards of facilities and service, hygiene and sanitation, and the concept of decent ethical behaviour amongst fellow human beings.

I also swear not to attempt to sell my Goan property to any "foreigner dregs", especially through any of the dodgy British fronted Estate Agents that your politicians shelter (even having offices in Goa, and still conning foreigners into making cash deposits on "off plan" developments that may never gain building permission and while the official Register for the registration of purchase (or sale) of any properties by foreigners remains closed indefinitely anyway.

Nor will I market through Goa based developer/agents such as Acron Developers PVT Ltd. who attended International Foreign Property Exhibitions in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leicester and Kuwait during 2007.I sincerely hope Acron were not marketing to foreign nationals ("low budget dregs"), but aren't many Non Resident Indians (NRI) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) essentially foreigners also (even if they can legally buy immovable property in India)? I mean, many have never even been to India, never mind Goa, and don't they bring with them Westernised cultural behaviours and attitudes, in conflict with the "susegad' simplicity of the "aam aadmi" Goan common man?

Hello Dayanand Narvekar, (Cabinet Minister for Law and Judiciary, Information Technology, Legislative Affairs, and Health for Government of Goa) who led Goa unilaterally to amend the 100 year old Registration Act (16 of 1908) through your Registration (Goa Amendment) Bill 2008 (Section 22), in contempt for the due process of law since experts such as former Advocate General A N S Nadkarni have opined that such powers of amendment rest with Central Government in New Delhi under Union List 2 or List 3 of the 7th. Schedule of the Constitution of India pertaining to land or land revenue or agriculture. "Legal experts say that sale of property is primarily governed by the Transfer of Property Act and not the Registration Act and the latter is meant only for registration of documents to effect the transfer." http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=5&gl=vn

You did this to protect the Goan "sons of the soil" from the polluting influences of 482 foreigners (almost entirely British) on the cultural purity of the niz Goan, all 1.628 million of them at the last census of 2001, didn't you? It certainly wasn't a cynical appeal for political support by inciting the most base and xenophobic instincts towards hatred amongst an already inherently jealous people whose real problem is that they are being overwhelmed by an uncontrolable influx of impoverished migrants from neighbouring Karnataka and Maharashtra. But this is what you said about foreigners:“What is worrying is that a lot of unwanted people, including drug traffickers, child traffickers and other elements indulge in land and other deals, flouting all rules and regulations.” Reporter Prakash Kamat. The Hindu. http://www.hindu.com/2008/03/30/stor...3060271000.htm

"Going by the population projections for 2008, the migrants in Goa could currently number 3.25 lakh in a total population of 16.28 lakh.........more than 20 per cent of the total population ......most of whom are from lower class.......with such massive population size arriving in the state, the state government has no mechanism to maintain a surveillance over it. In addition, the health and education facilities available to the interstate migrants from other states are dismal, with as many as 85 per cent of malaria and over 50 per cent of filaria cases including them. As per a survey conducted by the NCERT, at least 2,000 children of these interstate migrants, in the school-going age group are unable to attend the schools, while on the law and order side, half of the registered crimes in the state have involvement of the interstate migrants at some level or the other." Reporter Ramnath P. Raikar Navhind Times.

Now you have formally enshrined in the minds of every bureaucrat, (already fearfull for the loss of their jobs which they had to buy or be rewarded with as the spoils of political cronyism and/or corrupt practice) that they are to refuse registration of "any document opposed to public policy".That is a very broad canvas, impacting all aspects of living in Goa.

“Foreigners cannot purchase land in Goa, that is our public policy,” Mr. Narvekar said piloting the Bill on the last day of the brief budget session. Explaining the need for the amendment, Mr. Narvekar said almost all of 482 cases of prima facie violations of land deals by foreigners involved purchases by tourist visa holders, in flagrant violation of the Foreign Exchange Management Act.http://www.hindu.com/2008/03/30/stor...3060271000.htm For the record, The Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) and the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) guidelines make absolutely no mention of visas in regard to the purchase of immovable property by foreigners in India.

Dayanand Narvekar, you are beyond doubt an honest and decent lawmaker and political player.You care about the common man. So much so that, on June 4 2001 you were arrested as President of the Goa Cricket Association (a post, I believe you still hold these past 8 years) accused of being involved in a ticket scam, "a well planned strategy" where 20,000 fake tickets were sold (in excess of the sold out 15,000 capacity event) for a one day international (ODI) India/Australia match at Fatorda Stadium, Margao (April 6 2001). There was a riot outside the stadium. Reporter Joel D' Souza http://www.goacom.com/goanow/2001/jun/coverstory.html (Mr. Narvekar and his eight accomplices have been charged, " the charges against the accused varied from cheating, criminal conspiracy, forgery, forgery for the purpose of cheating, using as genuine a forged document and causing disappearance of evidence, under section 461, 465, 468, 471, 201 and 120 (b) of the Indian Penal Code." http://thatscricket.oneindia.in/news...oatickets.html , but has managed to elude trial these 7 years, even with the charges still outstanding, and has even gone on to achieve a Ministerial post. There have been rumblings in the press this year that the trial may actually take place. Unlikely.)

Your colleague, Churchill Alemao (Cabinet Minister of Public Works and Development), another great guy, in an interview with the Arab Times (24th. April 2008) while on a "fact finding" trip with his family to Kuwait, has been urging NRI's to; "Invest in properties back home: Alemao
KUWAIT CITY : A well-known Indian minister Wednesday urged NRIs to invest in properties back home, even as he said that the Goa government passed a law banning the sale of land to foreign nationals.........the former chief minister added that the Goa government is going to confiscate the properties presently owned by foreigners thereby auctioning them off. “The influence of undesirable elements is growing in certain pockets of North Goa,” lamented Alemao.........He also said that the Goa government has passed a law which safeguards the properties of NRIs..........On the sting operation that was conducted against him a few years ago, the minister said that he was framed by a journalist and that the video clips were smartly edited to look as if he was involved in a wrongful act. Reporter Francis A. Clifford Cardozo. Arab Times. http://www.arabtimesonline.com/clien...d=15882&ccid=9 (The "sting operation" referred to was when Mr Alemao was filmed accepting a substantial sum of money as a bribe, while Babush Monseratte, another Goan "political heavyweight" and inordinately popular goonda has also been documented by CNN IBN in a similar sting accepting bribes in return for legalizing land conversion deals.)

Might the "undesirable elements" referred to not be the political elite, people such as yourself who campaign on a manifesto of "Save Goa" and "Goa For Goans" while carving the State up and selling it off to big moneyed out of State interests; or perhaps you are referring to Goans of such calibre that they rape and murder a teenager while at her most vulnerable, and the police and forensics collude to make a judicial case impossible, and the Advocate for the Defense of the accused is even allowed 3 successive articles in the oHeraldo by which he pre trialled the case in public thus rubbishing the integrity of the case and ensuring an absence of justice, even laughing while at the press conference when he gained release of the accused?

Has nobody told Mr Alemao that "non Goans" are not to be encouraged to stay in Goa, and this is the mood and political will of the people, as stirred up by people like you? He really shouldn't be out there in Kuwait encouraging all those NRI's to "invest in properties back home"? When are you going to introduce DNA testing and genealogical screening to ensure the genetic and cultural purity of the Goan Motherland (or should that be Fatherland?)?

Make it as obstructive as you are already doing to attain long term visas by which to stay long term at our properties, and introduce your visa on arrival scheme, if you can run it without making it yet another huge "backhander' scam; I shall certainly not be introducing anyone to ever visit Goa.

This post was composed between power cuts, and most likely while yet another person drowned off your dangerous coast. (The average is about one person a day, or roughly 3 persons per kilometre of coast per annum, isn't it?) Apologies if I'm a touch bitter, but being on the wrong side of a multi million pound property fraud and governmental theft, I feel entitled.

Incidentally, oHeraldo and the Navhind Times don't seem inclined to publish any of my letters for reasons best known to them. They have also taken to something of a whitewash, a "charm offensive" tourist brochure style advocating the great merits of Goa (particularly oHeraldo) while seeming to "bury' much of the more gritty reality; the truth. They also stoop to the gutter when they entertain such misinformed and offensive rubbish as Antonio Coutinho's letter of 12 May 2008 : Gypsy Queen http://www.oheraldo.in/pagedetails.asp?nid=3879&cid=13

(www.goanvoice.org.uk is an excellent round up of the worldwide Goan news, both good and bad, and also keeps you informed on the 50 to 60,000 Goans who live and work in the UK.)

Gypsy Queen
Antonio Coutinho, Margao
She came from a caravan and has gone back to a castle. She owes her fortune to her deceased daughter Scarlet, for her transition from an ordinary gypsy to Gypsy Queen. She is none other than Fiona MacKeown.
It is now well known that Scarlet was not murdered, but was abandoned on the beach in a drunken state. The main accused, Samson, is arrested for rape and murder, but his ‘co-conspirator’, Placido Carvalho, has been released by the Courts. The Police have been castigated for falsely implicating him. The Court refused to give custody of Julio to the Police, and granted him anticipatory bail.
But whether it was murder or not doesn’t interest Fiona anymore. Her coffers are full, if not overflowing. The FIR registered for rape and murder is the most valued document in her life now.
It intrigues me why our babus allowed themselves to be led on a leash by this gypsy. Is it because the big babus in the Police department and the administration are non-Goans? Investigations carried out by different teams of the Goa Police did not reveal any rape and murder of Scarlet. But indeed, there was rape and murder, of our peaceful land. Who will investigate that?
http://www.oheraldo.in/pagedetails.asp?nid=3879&cid=13

ADDENDUM:

This is some background to the vote on the amendment of the Registration Act. I wonder what MLA Agnelo Fernandes had to say; perhaps the biggest giver of false promises and taker of money from foreigners in Candolim (and now the entire North coastal belt), elected and bankrolled by a little mafia of vested interests which includes Titos and their various enterprises. That's who "stood on the belly" of Club Cubana; Tito's was almost going bust while Cubana thrived. Now what dismal nightlife as exists is channelled into the "Candolim strip" and the horrific Tito's Road, Baga.

[FRIDAY 28 MARCH, 2008

2.30 P.M.

(2) SHRI DAYANAND G. NARVEKAR, Minister for Law moved that the Registration (Goa Amendment) Bill, 2008 be taken into consideration.

The following Members spoke:

Shri Dayanand Narvekar, Minister for Legislative Affairs
Shri Dayanand Mandrekar
Shri Digambar Kamat, Chief Minister
Shri Manohar Parrikar, Leader of Opposition
Shri Ramkrishna Dhavalikar, Minister for Transport
Shri Agnelo Fernandes

The Motion for consideration of the Bill was put to vote and adopted.

Clauses 2 and clause 1, the enacting formula and the long title were put to vote and adopted.

The Motion for passing of the Bill was put to vote and adopted.

(House adjourned for tea at 4.38 p.m. and resumed sitting at 5.14 P.M. ) ]
Old May 12th 2008, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

babu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nicebabu1 is just really nice
Default Re: GOA HAS BECOME A TOILET

For anyone who doesn't know Goa, the photo is of Candolim Beach, one of the most frequented beaches in Goa, where a 240 metre long iron ore barge, MV River Princess has been grounded for more than 7 years.

Successive Goan governments have been unable to agree a solution for the removal of the polluting barge, while the owner (Mr Anil Salgaocar) of the company, that tendered it (M/S Salgaocar Mining Industries Ltd) has since gained political office as an Independant candidate in the June 2007 elections and in essence holds the balance of power in a majority of one coalition government. He has never voiced any interest in moving the vessel.

Meanwhile, the grounded ship is an environmental disaster which continues to change the topography of the beach contributing to coastal erosion, the corroded metal shards being washed ashore regularly.There have been several drownings in proximity to the ship.

Candolim Beach continues along the coast to join Calangute Beach, proudly lauded by Goans as "Queen of Beaches".
Old May 12th 2008, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Douglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the roughDouglas M is a jewel in the rough

Wow Babul 1, what a piece.

I salute you!

douglas
Old May 12th 2008, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Saveyourbreath is an unknown quantity at this point

Superb piece.
A dog always has his day and Goa's is just around the corner.......2008/9 holiday season. The backlash from the corrupt ministers policies will hit the local traders so hard in the years ahead. Watch your backs you will have a rebelion on your hands.
You though it quiet on the beaches this past season, a handful of sunbeds per shack as the new policy for 2008/9 perhaps you already know thats all they are going to fill.

Would I ever go back after this property fiasco. NOT A CHANCE.
Well done Babu1
Old May 12th 2008, 11:33 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saveyourbreath
Superb piece.
A dog always has his day and Goa's is just around the corner.......2008/9 holiday season. The backlash from the corrupt ministers policies will hit the local traders so hard in the years ahead. Watch your backs you will have a rebelion on your hands.
You though it quiet on the beaches this past season, a handful of sunbeds per shack as the new policy for 2008/9 perhaps you already know thats all they are going to fill.

Would I ever go back after this property fiasco. NOT A CHANCE.
Well done Babu1

BRILLIANT BABU
Old May 12th 2008, 11:53 pm
Banned

beatlenut is on a distinguished road

Goa is finished, too much building and too many trees getting cut down, Goa will have problems in future monsoons as not enough trees to absorb the excess water and imagine where all the sewage is going to go from all the new hotels etc, I had a laugh the other day sitting in Havelli curry house when a tanker had written on it Sewage Sucker, they are going to need hundreds of them and I imagine diseases such as malaria and typhoid being more prevalent, Goa have got too greey its all to do with how much money you can get, and soon there will be less foreign tourists to rip off and half full hotels, Im off to Cambodia next heard great reports from friends there now and they do look after their tourists.
Old May 13th 2008, 12:01 am
Just Joined

Birdy num num is an unknown quantity at this point

Having just joined this excellent site on the Goan "roller coaster" nightmare, may I just say that the "Goa has become a toilet " comment is totally praiseworthy, and although I too, am wrapped up in the "loo roll "part of trying to extract myself from the inevitable cesspit that the State has become, there would appear to be no hope for the majority of us poor souls. who have either invested in ,or tried to simply find a place in the sun for a simple life...
Well done Babul1 !!

Birdy num num
Old May 13th 2008, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

dugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura about

Babul 1,

That was truely awesome hope you have sent a copy to the Goan Voice and Navhind Times it might make some people stand up and take notice what there so called politicians are up too. Not that they would print it as the truth always hurts.
Old May 13th 2008, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Daff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura aboutDaff has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by babu1
http://oheraldo.in/newsimages/5_9_20...4695993951.jpg

To the Goa State Government, please allow me to sell my property (which I bought legally, had the Sales Deed registered, and from which purchase you were in receipt of Sales Tax and all other registration fees).

There is no longer any binding reason why I should wish to continue to struggle to stay in your increasingly filthy and dangerous self deluded "paradise" at the mercy of your degenerate politicians, puppet judiciary, corrupt bureaucracy, mafia style police, cheating and inept populace.

I promise I shall never return to bring any more of my foreign exchange which has been valuable to us both over these past 15 years. I shall be taking it to countries where there are genuinely "pristine beaches", proper infrastructure, efficient standards of facilities and service, hygiene and sanitation, and the concept of decent ethical behaviour amongst fellow human beings.

I also swear not to attempt to sell my Goan property to any "foreigner dregs", especially through any of the dodgy British fronted Estate Agents that your politicians shelter (even having offices in Goa, and still conning foreigners into making cash deposits on "off plan" developments that may never gain building permission and while the official Register for the registration of purchase (or sale) of any properties by foreigners remains closed indefinitely anyway.

Nor will I market through Goa based developer/agents such as Acron Developers PVT Ltd. who attended International Foreign Property Exhibitions in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Leicester and Kuwait during 2007.I sincerely hope Acron were not marketing to foreign nationals ("low budget dregs"), but aren't many Non Resident Indians (NRI) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) essentially foreigners also (even if they can legally buy immovable property in India)? I mean, many have never even been to India, never mind Goa, and don't they bring with them Westernised cultural behaviours and attitudes, in conflict with the "susegad' simplicity of the "aam aadmi" Goan common man?

Hello Dayanand Narvekar, (Cabinet Minister for Law and Judiciary, Information Technology, Legislative Affairs, and Health for Government of Goa) who led Goa unilaterally to amend the 100 year old Registration Act (16 of 1908) through your Registration (Goa Amendment) Bill 2008 (Section 22), in contempt for the due process of law since experts such as former Advocate General A N S Nadkarni have opined that such powers of amendment rest with Central Government in New Delhi under Union List 2 or List 3 of the 7th. Schedule of the Constitution of India pertaining to land or land revenue or agriculture. "Legal experts say that sale of property is primarily governed by the Transfer of Property Act and not the Registration Act and the latter is meant only for registration of documents to effect the transfer." http://209.85.175.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=5&gl=vn

You did this to protect the Goan "sons of the soil" from the polluting influences of 482 foreigners (almost entirely British) on the cultural purity of the niz Goan, all 1.628 million of them at the last census of 2001, didn't you? It certainly wasn't a cynical appeal for political support by inciting the most base and xenophobic instincts towards hatred amongst an already inherently jealous people whose real problem is that they are being overwhelmed by an uncontrolable influx of impoverished migrants from neighbouring Karnataka and Maharashtra. But this is what you said about foreigners:“What is worrying is that a lot of unwanted people, including drug traffickers, child traffickers and other elements indulge in land and other deals, flouting all rules and regulations.” Reporter Prakash Kamat. The Hindu. http://www.hindu.com/2008/03/30/stor...3060271000.htm

"Going by the population projections for 2008, the migrants in Goa could currently number 3.25 lakh in a total population of 16.28 lakh.........more than 20 per cent of the total population ......most of whom are from lower class.......with such massive population size arriving in the state, the state government has no mechanism to maintain a surveillance over it. In addition, the health and education facilities available to the interstate migrants from other states are dismal, with as many as 85 per cent of malaria and over 50 per cent of filaria cases including them. As per a survey conducted by the NCERT, at least 2,000 children of these interstate migrants, in the school-going age group are unable to attend the schools, while on the law and order side, half of the registered crimes in the state have involvement of the interstate migrants at some level or the other." Reporter Ramnath P. Raikar Navhind Times.

Now you have formally enshrined in the minds of every bureaucrat, (already fearfull for the loss of their jobs which they had to buy or be rewarded with as the spoils of political cronyism and/or corrupt practice) that they are to refuse registration of "any document opposed to public policy".That is a very broad canvas, impacting all aspects of living in Goa.

“Foreigners cannot purchase land in Goa, that is our public policy,” Mr. Narvekar said piloting the Bill on the last day of the brief budget session. Explaining the need for the amendment, Mr. Narvekar said almost all of 482 cases of prima facie violations of land deals by foreigners involved purchases by tourist visa holders, in flagrant violation of the Foreign Exchange Management Act.http://www.hindu.com/2008/03/30/stor...3060271000.htm For the record, The Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) and the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) guidelines make absolutely no mention of visas in regard to the purchase of immovable property by foreigners in India.

Dayanand Narvekar, you are beyond doubt an honest and decent lawmaker and political player.You care about the common man. So much so that, on June 4 2001 you were arrested as President of the Goa Cricket Association (a post, I believe you still hold these past 8 years) accused of being involved in a ticket scam, "a well planned strategy" where 20,000 fake tickets were sold (in excess of the sold out 15,000 capacity event) for a one day international (ODI) India/Australia match at Fatorda Stadium, Margao (April 6 2001). There was a riot outside the stadium. Reporter Joel D' Souza http://www.goacom.com/goanow/2001/jun/coverstory.html (Mr. Narvekar and his eight accomplices have been charged, " the charges against the accused varied from cheating, criminal conspiracy, forgery, forgery for the purpose of cheating, using as genuine a forged document and causing disappearance of evidence, under section 461, 465, 468, 471, 201 and 120 (b) of the Indian Penal Code." http://thatscricket.oneindia.in/news...oatickets.html , but has managed to elude trial these 7 years, even with the charges still outstanding, and has even gone on to achieve a Ministerial post. There have been rumblings in the press this year that the trial may actually take place. Unlikely.)

Your colleague, Churchill Alemao (Cabinet Minister of Public Works and Development), another great guy, in an interview with the Arab Times (24th. April 2008) while on a "fact finding" trip with his family to Kuwait, has been urging NRI's to; "Invest in properties back home: Alemao
KUWAIT CITY : A well-known Indian minister Wednesday urged NRIs to invest in properties back home, even as he said that the Goa government passed a law banning the sale of land to foreign nationals.........the former chief minister added that the Goa government is going to confiscate the properties presently owned by foreigners thereby auctioning them off. “The influence of undesirable elements is growing in certain pockets of North Goa,” lamented Alemao.........He also said that the Goa government has passed a law which safeguards the properties of NRIs..........On the sting operation that was conducted against him a few years ago, the minister said that he was framed by a journalist and that the video clips were smartly edited to look as if he was involved in a wrongful act. Reporter Francis A. Clifford Cardozo. Arab Times. http://www.arabtimesonline.com/clien...d=15882&ccid=9 (The "sting operation" referred to was when Mr Alemao was filmed accepting a substantial sum of money as a bribe, while Babush Monseratte, another Goan "political heavyweight" and inordinately popular goonda has also been documented by CNN IBN in a similar sting accepting bribes in return for legalizing land conversion deals.)

Might the "undesirable elements" referred to not be the political elite, people such as yourself who campaign on a manifesto of "Save Goa" and "Goa For Goans" while carving the State up and selling it off to big moneyed out of State interests; or perhaps you are referring to Goans of such calibre that they rape and murder a teenager while at her most vulnerable, and the police and forensics collude to make a judicial case impossible, and the Advocate for the Defense of the accused is even allowed 3 successive articles in the oHeraldo by which he pre trialled the case in public thus rubbishing the integrity of the case and ensuring an absence of justice, even laughing while at the press conference when he gained release of the accused?

Has nobody told Mr Alemao that "non Goans" are not to be encouraged to stay in Goa, and this is the mood and political will of the people, as stirred up by people like you? He really shouldn't be out there in Kuwait encouraging all those NRI's to "invest in properties back home"? When are you going to introduce DNA testing and genealogical screening to ensure the genetic and cultural purity of the Goan Motherland (or should that be Fatherland?)?

Make it as obstructive as you are already doing to attain long term visas by which to stay long term at our properties, and introduce your visa on arrival scheme, if you can run it without making it yet another huge "backhander' scam; I shall certainly not be introducing anyone to ever visit Goa.

This post was composed between power cuts, and most likely while yet another person drowned off your dangerous coast. (The average is about one person a day, or roughly 3 persons per kilometre of coast per annum, isn't it?) Apologies if I'm a touch bitter, but being on the wrong side of a multi million pound property fraud and governmental theft, I feel entitled.

Incidentally, oHeraldo and the Navhind Times don't seem inclined to publish any of my letters for reasons best known to them. They have also taken to something of a whitewash, a "charm offensive" tourist brochure style advocating the great merits of Goa (particularly oHeraldo) while seeming to "bury' much of the more gritty reality; the truth. They also stoop to the gutter when they entertain such misinformed and offensive rubbish as Antonio Coutinho's letter of 12 May 2008 : Gypsy Queen http://www.oheraldo.in/pagedetails.asp?nid=3879&cid=13

(www.goanvoice.org.uk is an excellent round up of the worldwide Goan news, both good and bad, and also keeps you informed on the 50 to 60,000 Goans who live and work in the UK.)

Gypsy Queen
Antonio Coutinho, Margao
She came from a caravan and has gone back to a castle. She owes her fortune to her deceased daughter Scarlet, for her transition from an ordinary gypsy to Gypsy Queen. She is none other than Fiona MacKeown.
It is now well known that Scarlet was not murdered, but was abandoned on the beach in a drunken state. The main accused, Samson, is arrested for rape and murder, but his ‘co-conspirator’, Placido Carvalho, has been released by the Courts. The Police have been castigated for falsely implicating him. The Court refused to give custody of Julio to the Police, and granted him anticipatory bail.
But whether it was murder or not doesn’t interest Fiona anymore. Her coffers are full, if not overflowing. The FIR registered for rape and murder is the most valued document in her life now.
It intrigues me why our babus allowed themselves to be led on a leash by this gypsy. Is it because the big babus in the Police department and the administration are non-Goans? Investigations carried out by different teams of the Goa Police did not reveal any rape and murder of Scarlet. But indeed, there was rape and murder, of our peaceful land. Who will investigate that?
http://www.oheraldo.in/pagedetails.asp?nid=3879&cid=13

ADDENDUM:

This is some background to the vote on the amendment of the Registration Act. I wonder what MLA Agnelo Fernandes had to say; perhaps the biggest giver of false promises and taker of money from foreigners in Candolim (and now the entire North coastal belt), elected and bankrolled by a little mafia of vested interests which includes Titos and their various enterprises. That's who "stood on the belly" of Club Cubana; Tito's was almost going bust while Cubana thrived. Now what dismal nightlife as exists is channelled into the "Candolim strip" and the horrific Tito's Road, Baga.

[FRIDAY 28 MARCH, 2008

2.30 P.M.

(2) SHRI DAYANAND G. NARVEKAR, Minister for Law moved that the Registration (Goa Amendment) Bill, 2008 be taken into consideration.

The following Members spoke:

Shri Dayanand Narvekar, Minister for Legislative Affairs
Shri Dayanand Mandrekar
Shri Digambar Kamat, Chief Minister
Shri Manohar Parrikar, Leader of Opposition
Shri Ramkrishna Dhavalikar, Minister for Transport
Shri Agnelo Fernandes

The Motion for consideration of the Bill was put to vote and adopted.

Clauses 2 and clause 1, the enacting formula and the long title were put to vote and adopted.

The Motion for passing of the Bill was put to vote and adopted.

(House adjourned for tea at 4.38 p.m. and resumed sitting at 5.14 P.M. ) ]
We can only stand back in amazement at this outstanding piece of writing. We hope you have copied it to some of the British press and also to the research assistant (Jemma) of Sir Trevor McDonald on ITV. His email address is on Buyer Beware.
Hearty congratulations Baul1
Old May 13th 2008, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

well done babu if i knew how to cut and paste i'd print copies and stick them on every coconut tree i could find and thats lots...... please god let someone who can help us see this wicked piece of writing hats of to you
Old May 13th 2008, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by babu1
For anyone who doesn't know Goa, the photo is of Candolim Beach, one of the most frequented beaches in Goa, where a 240 metre long iron ore barge, MV River Princess has been grounded for more than 7 years.

Successive Goan governments have been unable to agree a solution for the removal of the polluting barge, while the owner (Mr Anil Salgaocar) of the company, that tendered it (M/S Salgaocar Mining Industries Ltd) has since gained political office as an Independant candidate in the June 2007 elections and in essence holds the balance of power in a majority of one coalition government. He has never voiced any interest in moving the vessel.

Meanwhile, the grounded ship is an environmental disaster which continues to change the topography of the beach contributing to coastal erosion, the corroded metal shards being washed ashore regularly.There have been several drownings in proximity to the ship.

Candolim Beach continues along the coast to join Calangute Beach, proudly lauded by Goans as "Queen of Beaches".
Babu!!.

I can see from your writing that Goa is loosing it's best friend and ally. It is like you are in agony at seeing Goa fall to the ravages of its own addictions and like an addict itself, Goa turns against those who have its best interests at heart and who love it the most. You have reached the point where you cannot stand the pain any more and you have to distance yourself for your own good?
Old May 13th 2008, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
Babu!!.

I can see from your writing that Goa is loosing it's best friend and ally. It is like you are in agony at seeing Goa fall to the ravages of its own addictions and like an addict itself, Goa turns against those who have its best interests at heart and who love it the most. You have reached the point where you cannot stand the pain any more and you have to distance yourself for your own good?
Babu1 - I feel your pain
I praise your prose
I hope you're anonymous!

best wishes - AndyD
Old May 13th 2008, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

old man will become famous soon enoughold man will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Babu1 - I feel your pain
I praise your prose
I hope you're anonymous!

best wishes - AndyD
Wonderful article - should be posted to the Herald/Nav Times.
Old May 13th 2008, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Thank you all for your praise.

I don't doubt that in time I will have my detractors too.

There is no doubt in my mind that Goa, irrespective of the property scandal, has deteriorated in almost every way imagineable. It is no longer a desirable location.

It would be helpful if someone could collate the various contact e mail addresses that have been mentioned to raise the profile of what is really going on in Goa, and list them in one post on a new thread.

I have not sent any BE posts to anyone who might lobby, but have no objection should anybody who agrees with my stance wish to do so on my behalf. I have, however, been in touch with my UK Member of Parliament who is of Indian origin (not Keith Vaz).

Interestingly, The Shack Owners Welfare Society of Goa have threatened to place "Don't Come To Goa" adverts in UK based national newspapers.

PANJIM, APR 24 ".......at an emergency meeting held here Thursday where the shack operators warned that if the government decides to do away with shacks or even deck-beds, they would take the issue at the “international level”.

“We are not going to keep quiet this time”, thundered Cruz Cardozo, president of Shack Owners Welfare Society of Goa who was well supported by other shack operators.

The meeting, which witnessed angry speeches, passed a resolution warning the government that they would approach the international media and tour operators if the government decides to have tourism without shacks or deck-beds." http://oheraldo.in/pagedetails.asp?nid=3100&cid=26

"Do not come to Goa, there is chaos in Goa," says the draft message the All-Goa Shack Owners Association is planning to insert as advertisements in a couple of English-language dailies to draw the attention of tourists. Reporter Armstrong Vaz (armie) http://english.ohmynews.com/ArticleV...82551&rel_no=1
Old May 13th 2008, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Panjim wells polluted

"PANJIM, MAY 12 – An ongoing survey of wells by the urban health authorities has found that most of the wells in the Capital are contaminated.
Unplanned and rampant constructions and sewage overflow are some of the factors responsible for contamination of ground water in Panjim.
An official who is part of the ongoing survey, on condition of anonymity, disclosed that the wells have been found to be contaminated by colliform organism which can leave a person with infection of any waterborne disease. .......

Though water in most wells is used for various purposes other than consumption, the most worrying aspect is that in many cases, it is the source of water itself that has been found to be polluted. “We help clean infected wells but problems arise when the source of water is polluted. We have come across a number of cases where the spring of the wells itself is polluted”, he said. "

http://www.oheraldo.in/pagedetails.asp?nid=3918&cid=10

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.