Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

FN's operating bars come under scrutiny

FN's operating bars come under scrutiny

Old Aug 23rd 2008, 9:20 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Wink FN's operating bars come under scrutiny

Do you think they will impliment this? Like all their other rules and regulations.
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

jcbrum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FN's operating bars come under scrutiny

Originally Posted by noni
Do you think they will impliment this? Like all their other rules and regulations.
What the main complaint is, is that Foreign nationals are running Bars/Restaurants on a tourist visa and not on a business visa.So anyone running one legally should not have a problem..

John
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 11:20 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcbrum
What the main complaint is, is that Foreign nationals are running Bars/Restaurants on a tourist visa and not on a business visa.So anyone running one legally should not have a problem..

John
who runs what legally out there!!
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 11:35 am
A little honey

Honey Bee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by noni
who runs what legally out there!!
Quite honestly I don't think they know how to impliment "legally" unless it is with a cash donation.

See on the IM they say FN's pay less to the locals who work in the bars (think this is very biased view) as I personally know people who have worked the season in the shacks and in some of the indian run resturants- who have not been paid at all, (accept they have their food) there is a very large and popular resturant on the beach road, for the season paid indian staff 600 rupees after their uniform was taken out of their wages. :curse:
Old Aug 23rd 2008, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

thatman will become famous soon enoughthatman will become famous soon enough

Just googled and found a newspaper article - one sentence is very interesting -

"Speaker Pratapsingh Rane suggested that the foreigners doing business locally be deported".

They are really going after us now not only property owners but business owners. He did not say anthing about visas or running them on touris visas just this sentence.

As far as paying them less goes I think they have that wrong although that was not in the article I read. I know one FN who runs a bar/restaurant who pays his staff very well - pays for them to go home at the end of the season and their return journey - pays for their living accommodation (which is very nice) and all buys them loads of things. I don't suppose he is the only one who treats his staff properly.

Last edited by thatman; Aug 23rd 2008 at 1:20 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 2:21 am
Banned

Jordie is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a TV documentary couple of years back about a couple from here running an english pub in Goa. Are they still around? Whereabouts?

Cheers!
Old Aug 25th 2008, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

camelo is an unknown quantity at this point

they still here and are doing well.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Calangute,Goa (October -May) Pattaya,Thailand (May-Oct)
enfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really nice

Is that good old Trev ,with the Ponderosa Guest House ?
If that's the series you mean ,in it was shown in several parts, and I think that was at least 4 years ago.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

old man will become famous soon enoughold man will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by enfield951
Is that good old Trev ,with the Ponderosa Guest House ?
If that's the series you mean ,in it was shown in several parts, and I think that was at least 4 years ago.
Good old Trevor, does not have a pub, he sits at the Teama Bar.
The Ponderosa has lost its licence as a guest house, and now only takes
"friends" not paying guests.

I think they are talking about the bar further up the road the Peacock! that the english couple had they left there and went opposite StoneHouse. I am led to believe that they have also given that up because of officialdom

Last edited by old man; Aug 25th 2008 at 6:09 pm.
Old Aug 25th 2008, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

thatman will become famous soon enoughthatman will become famous soon enough

We still have the videos - and now on disc - of the series of these people going out to Goa and taking bars and often see them out and about. JoeWhiley (of the Ponderosa) still wears the shorts she bought in Birmingham in the 70's and miserable bas**rd Trevor is still out and about as long faced as ever - we are amazed he is still there. The man who made the sausages whilst his cat was sat on the work surface and tried to smoke fish in his toilet eats in Kishor (next to Sportman bar near church in the middle of the road) some of them have died and others are divorced.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Calangute,Goa (October -May) Pattaya,Thailand (May-Oct)
enfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really niceenfield951 is just really nice

We had a less than 1 minute spot ,in the first programme talking to Jo and Trevor about visas in the Goan Heritage Gardens.
I think the Peacock is now demolished,definitely finished as a pub anyway.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 4:26 am
A little honey

Originally Posted by enfield951
We had a less than 1 minute spot ,in the first programme talking to Jo and Trevor about visas in the Goan Heritage Gardens.
I think the Peacock is now demolished,definitely finished as a pub anyway.
They had started to demolish the bar when we were leaving, we can all guess who is going to build there!!!

also in to-day http://www.goanvoice.org.uk article relating to cancelling licences for foreigners to run bars/resturants. Hope it does not mean the end of the Bistro.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 4:40 am
Banned

Location: Goring-by-Sea,West Sussex, Algarve,Portugal and Cochin,Kerala
Blue_Max is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Honey Bee
They had started to demolish the bar when we were leaving, we can all guess who is going to build there!!!

also in to-day http://www.goanvoice.org.uk article relating to cancelling licences for foreigners to run bars/resturants. Hope it does not mean the end of the Bistro.
I don't understand what they hope to gain by shutting down places that tourists find attractive.

Rest of India is encouraging foreign investment and business. And at a grand scale too! Tecso and Tata just signed a deal. Initially it will be wholesale operation with Tesco supplying thousands of retailers. But in a few years, I would'nt be surprised to at least one Tesco store in each and every town and city in India.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 5:01 am
A little honey

Originally Posted by Blue_Max
I don't understand what they hope to gain by shutting down places that tourists find attractive.

Rest of India is encouraging foreign investment and business. And at a grand scale too! Tecso and Tata just signed a deal. Initially it will be wholesale operation with Tesco supplying thousands of retailers. But in a few years, I would'nt be surprised to at least one Tesco store in each and every town and city in India.

Blue max - the Goans do things arse backwards, if there is a hard and awkward way to do it, they will find it.

They must spend all monsoon wondering how they can upset the tourist trade and loose their own people business. Possibly a case of rusty brains from the rain.