British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Goa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/)
-   -   FN's operating bars come under scrutiny (https://britishexpats.com/forum/goa-170/fns-operating-bars-come-under-scrutiny-556943/)

noni Aug 22nd 2008 9:20 pm

FN's operating bars come under scrutiny

Do you think they will impliment this? Like all their other rules and regulations.

jcbrum Aug 22nd 2008 10:34 pm

Re: FN's operating bars come under scrutiny

Originally Posted by noni (Post 6706931)
Do you think they will impliment this? Like all their other rules and regulations.

What the main complaint is, is that Foreign nationals are running Bars/Restaurants on a tourist visa and not on a business visa.So anyone running one legally should not have a problem..

John

noni Aug 22nd 2008 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by jcbrum (Post 6707032)
What the main complaint is, is that Foreign nationals are running Bars/Restaurants on a tourist visa and not on a business visa.So anyone running one legally should not have a problem..

John

who runs what legally out there!!:thumbdown:

Honey Bee Aug 22nd 2008 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by noni (Post 6707090)
who runs what legally out there!!:thumbdown:

Quite honestly I don't think they know how to impliment "legally" unless it is with a cash donation.

See on the IM they say FN's pay less to the locals who work in the bars (think this is very biased view) as I personally know people who have worked the season in the shacks and in some of the indian run resturants- who have not been paid at all, (accept they have their food) there is a very large and popular resturant on the beach road, for the season paid indian staff 600 rupees after their uniform was taken out of their wages. :curse:

thatman Aug 23rd 2008 12:38 am

Just googled and found a newspaper article - one sentence is very interesting -

"Speaker Pratapsingh Rane suggested that the foreigners doing business locally be deported".

They are really going after us now not only property owners but business owners. He did not say anthing about visas or running them on touris visas just this sentence.

As far as paying them less goes I think they have that wrong although that was not in the article I read. I know one FN who runs a bar/restaurant who pays his staff very well - pays for them to go home at the end of the season and their return journey - pays for their living accommodation (which is very nice) and all buys them loads of things. I don't suppose he is the only one who treats his staff properly.

Jordie Aug 24th 2008 2:21 pm

There was a TV documentary couple of years back about a couple from here running an english pub in Goa. Are they still around? Whereabouts?

Cheers!
:beer:

camelo Aug 25th 2008 3:48 am

they still here and are doing well.:thumbsup::beer:

enfield951 Aug 25th 2008 5:32 am

Is that good old Trev ,with the Ponderosa Guest House ?
If that's the series you mean ,in it was shown in several parts, and I think that was at least 4 years ago.;)

old man Aug 25th 2008 6:07 am

Originally Posted by enfield951 (Post 6713538)
Is that good old Trev ,with the Ponderosa Guest House ?
If that's the series you mean ,in it was shown in several parts, and I think that was at least 4 years ago.;)

Good old Trevor, does not have a pub, he sits at the Teama Bar.
The Ponderosa has lost its licence as a guest house, and now only takes
"friends" not paying guests.

I think they are talking about the bar further up the road the Peacock! that the english couple had they left there and went opposite StoneHouse. I am led to believe that they have also given that up because of officialdom

thatman Aug 25th 2008 9:59 am

We still have the videos - and now on disc - of the series of these people going out to Goa and taking bars and often see them out and about. JoeWhiley (of the Ponderosa) still wears the shorts she bought in Birmingham in the 70's and miserable bas**rd Trevor is still out and about as long faced as ever - we are amazed he is still there. The man who made the sausages whilst his cat was sat on the work surface and tried to smoke fish in his toilet eats in Kishor (next to Sportman bar near church in the middle of the road) some of them have died and others are divorced.

enfield951 Aug 25th 2008 12:10 pm

We had a less than 1 minute spot ,in the first programme talking to Jo and Trevor about visas in the Goan Heritage Gardens.
I think the Peacock is now demolished,definitely finished as a pub anyway.

Honey Bee Aug 25th 2008 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by enfield951 (Post 6714769)
We had a less than 1 minute spot ,in the first programme talking to Jo and Trevor about visas in the Goan Heritage Gardens.
I think the Peacock is now demolished,definitely finished as a pub anyway.

They had started to demolish the bar when we were leaving, we can all guess who is going to build there!!!

also in to-day http://www.goanvoice.org.uk article relating to cancelling licences for foreigners to run bars/resturants. Hope it does not mean the end of the Bistro.

Blue_Max Aug 25th 2008 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Honey Bee (Post 6715202)
They had started to demolish the bar when we were leaving, we can all guess who is going to build there!!!

also in to-day http://www.goanvoice.org.uk article relating to cancelling licences for foreigners to run bars/resturants. Hope it does not mean the end of the Bistro.

I don't understand what they hope to gain by shutting down places that tourists find attractive.

Rest of India is encouraging foreign investment and business. And at a grand scale too! Tecso and Tata just signed a deal. Initially it will be wholesale operation with Tesco supplying thousands of retailers. But in a few years, I would'nt be surprised to at least one Tesco store in each and every town and city in India.

Honey Bee Aug 25th 2008 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Blue_Max (Post 6715215)
I don't understand what they hope to gain by shutting down places that tourists find attractive.

Rest of India is encouraging foreign investment and business. And at a grand scale too! Tecso and Tata just signed a deal. Initially it will be wholesale operation with Tesco supplying thousands of retailers. But in a few years, I would'nt be surprised to at least one Tesco store in each and every town and city in India.

Blue max - the Goans do things arse backwards, if there is a hard and awkward way to do it, they will find it.

They must spend all monsoon wondering how they can upset the tourist trade and loose their own people business. Possibly a case of rusty brains from the rain.:confused: