Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Exporting Enfield Bullet UK to Goa

Exporting Enfield Bullet UK to Goa

Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

afaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant future
Default Exporting Enfield Bullet UK to Goa

I have a 10 year old hardly used Bullet in the UK which i may as well export to Goa (value has gone up in Goa, and i'm not using it in Uk anyway).

It was first bought in mumbai, exported and first registered as new in UK.

Any advice welcome.

1 Anyone with rough idea of shipping charges, Felixstowe or Tilbury (or any port) to Goa (not Mumbai)? What are the formalities?

2 Is it possible to register it as second hand import at RTO and get a licence plate?

3 Is there a way to keep import tax at customs low or to avoid it?

4 Any shipping agents recommended?

This may be not worth doing but any thoughts from those who have shipped large goods Uk to Goa welcome.

Unpacked weight is 185kg.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:09 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Exporting Enfield Bullet UK to Goa

Some years ago I bought some coal in Newcastle, as I havent used it I was thinking of sending it back?

But seriously, whatever the shipping charges and packing come to (and it will be high), its the paperwork at the other end that will be the killer. Customs are a nightmare by all accounts, and can you imagine how they will view your actions?
Then the registering of it. For a start, you MUST be a resident to own a vehicle. Then there is the actual registering, its very difficult to do that with a bike from Dehli or Bombay, never mind the UK, again, can you imagine their attitude?
Its very tedious just changing ownership in Goa.
Far better I would have thought, to sell it in the UK?
Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

kernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the roughkernowpisky is a jewel in the rough

I dont know about an enfield, but i did enquire about bringing my truck over, when all said and done it was far cheaper to buy one here, and considerably less hassle.....

When talking to the customs people while getting my possesions they said and i quote, "no one in their right mind ships vehicles into India" - they have a sort of protection thing going on, ensuring that if you want to buy a vehicle, bike or car, then it must derive from India.

As stated im sure you would have lots if interest from peeps in the UK
Old Feb 10th 2011, 5:25 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

This my Enfield, sold last year at 11 years old but with new everything, and I do mean everything...........and I was more than happy to accept £1000 for it.

Your presumably bog-standard Bullet is almost certainly worth more than that in the UK......

You know it makes sense.

Old Feb 14th 2011, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

afaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant futureafaiknow has a brilliant future

Thanks for the advice. I thought it was likely a bad idea. I can get about 1,400 hundred for it in UK.

I had forgotten the hassle I had at Mapusa RTO to register my Bullet in Goa a few years ago, then there's the day wasted at the insurance office, and I doubt there's such a thing as a Q plate in India, so that's that idea shelved.

There's not so much coal in Newcastle as there used to be, just like kick start right gear shift Standard Bullets are becoming rare in India.

Nice bike!
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

There is no import tax if it is second hand. Customs charges are around £400 to £500 quid agents fees etc.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 8:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
There is no import tax if it is second hand. Customs charges are around £400 to £500 quid agents fees etc.
PJ, if there are customs charges, in thye real world thats the same as import duty, surely?
Also, there is a rule that a vehicle must have 5 years roadworthiness left. As a vehicle in India is deemed to have reached the end of its life at 15 years and requires testing and re-licencing, afaiknows bike would probably have fallen foul of that too............

Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Sun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really nice

Import duty is at 200% of what the customs deem the vehicle to be worth
(example if your brought your Land rover from the UK they could say it has a value of 2 lakh so they need another 4 lakh duty)
Old Feb 15th 2011, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

No its not import duty. i imported a scooter 6 years ago and it was completely brand new.4 months old. But i bought it in some one else's name and transfered it to me so on paper it was used.The fees , which were around £400 was purely agents fees for storage and clearing customs. I also imported 4 Barbers Chairs in the same space in the container.It came in via Felixstowe from Bombay.Like your Enfield though.
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:42 pm
Banned

No its not import duty. i imported a scooter 6 years ago and it was completely brand new.4 months old. But i bought it in some one else's name and transfered it to me so on paper it was used.The fees , which were around £400 was purely agents fees for storage and clearing customs. I also imported 4 Barbers Chairs in the same space in the container.It came in via Felixstowe from Bombay.Like your Enfield though.
PJ, your last post has confirmed my suspicions..........

You are mis-reading this entire thread. Afaiknow was planning to re-import his Enfield BACK to India!

Strange concept I know, and understandable that you got mixed up.

Have a nice day baba
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im back to front.......re-reading the thread i must agree with you that exporting a used Enfield back to India is a no no.Firstly its only 10 years old and Goa is flooded with old Enfields of around the same age.Saw one advertised in a local paper and the manufacturing date was 1961.My friend Andreas picked a 4 years old Enfield that had been abandoned in the car park of the Riviera Complex in Arpora, by its European owner, because of illness for nothing.Illness and the visa problem equals not interested in India any more.There is a yellow Enfield at the side of Poisson Rouge Restaurant near Baga Creek Bridge that belonged to Tee Pee Jimmy i think. Its now slowly becoming covered in weeds.Battery is still in it though.