Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Dodgy Restaurants in Goa.

Dodgy Restaurants in Goa.

Old Nov 15th 2013, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dodgy Restaurants in Goa.

I think its time that this forum started a thread concerning dodgy food outlets in Goa.Its time we exercised our financial muscle and pointed the finger at restaurants, beach shacks and fast food joints that serve dodgy,over priced or just plain rubbish to its customers.The other thread only deals with good food outlets and if they are off or on the menu. I personally think we need a thread to warn customers that certain places are NO GO and that it is healthy to stay away from them.I cannot even remember the amount of times i have had to visit the chemist in calingut because of food poisoning by dodgy restaurants. I think it time to point them out.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 7:41 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Wink Re: Dodgy Restaurants in Goa.

I'd wager that the pies at the Globe Arena (home of Morecambe FC) are of significantly better price & quality than those served at the Emirates stadium.

Not Goa I know, just Friday banter.

H.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dodgy Restaurants in Goa.

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
I think its time that this forum started a thread concerning dodgy food outlets in Goa.Its time we exercised our financial muscle and pointed the finger at restaurants, beach shacks and fast food joints that serve dodgy,over priced or just plain rubbish to its customers.The other thread only deals with good food outlets and if they are off or on the menu. I personally think we need a thread to warn customers that certain places are NO GO and that it is healthy to stay away from them.I cannot even remember the amount of times i have had to visit the chemist in calingut because of food poisoning by dodgy restaurants. I think it time to point them out.
If Calangute has so many dodgy restaurants or your bowels are so sensitive why not eat elsewhere or at home???
Old Nov 16th 2013, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hemingway
I'd wager that the pies at the Globe Arena (home of Morecambe FC) are of significantly better price & quality than those served at the Emirates stadium.

Not Goa I know, just Friday banter.

H.
The prices in The Emirates are out of this world ! Nachos with melted cheese are £5 plus. Burgers are £6 plus. Budwiser bottle £4.....Tickets start at £65.....
Old Nov 16th 2013, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bipat
If Calangute has so many dodgy restaurants or your bowels are so sensitive why not eat elsewhere or at home???
Bipat the period i am talking about is nearly 24 years so things have changed a little since then.Dysentery and chips was the norm then....Nearly every one caried a strip of Flagyl then. But there are still restaurants around today that it would be nice to be warned about first.Secondly it saves you money. Personally i would not eat at Britos in Baga anymore for hygenic reasons and thats because i drink next door to the place so i have watched where the food is prepared and its not nice......
Old Nov 16th 2013, 6:35 pm
I love apathy!

hemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud ofhemingway has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Dodgy Restaurants in Goa.

The prices in The Emirates are out of this world ! Nachos with melted cheese are £5 plus. Burgers are £6 plus. Budwiser bottle £4.....Tickets start at £65.....
It's the season ticket prices that are horrifying. £4 for a bottle of Bud would see me holding on to the edge of the bar until I came round.

One of my locals charges £1.88 for a pint of hand pulled bitter (3.6%) which I've always thought was good - yesterday about 8 miles away I was paying £1.80 for a pint of 4.0% hand pulled bitter in a pub with no kids! no music! no bandits! no TV! & no pool table!

H.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Vagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of light

Always interested in places to avoid, by and large had decent food in many places. Tend to stick to the same restaurants in local areas, once I know the food is good. I avoid Baga as a rule cause it is like Benidorm.

Is it not easier to name good places ? I can remember those and there are quite a few.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

You sometimes get the suspicion that persons on this forum plug restaurants because the owners have asked them to. A couple of times i have read of places here and then when i have visited them was underwhelmed by what was on offer to say the least.Its always good to remember that restaurants are only as good as the cook they employ and if the menu looks like a telephone book then what you get generally is just bland pages from a cook book, because thats what the chef will be using not his skill or knowledge.Shacks should have a rating system for hygienic qualities because 8 of 10 of them would not get 1 star from 5 for cleanliness......
Old Nov 18th 2013, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

You sometimes get the suspicion that persons on this forum plug restaurants because the owners have asked them to. A couple of times i have read of places here and then when i have visited them was underwhelmed by what was on offer to say the least.Its always good to remember that restaurants are only as good as the cook they employ and if the menu looks like a telephone book then what you get generally is just bland pages from a cook book, because thats what the chef will be using not his skill or knowledge.Shacks should have a rating system for hygienic qualities because 8 of 10 of them would not get 1 star from 5 for cleanliness......
The problem is also that chefs/managements change frequently. For years we enjoyed Dropadi- Palolem even when they played 'Happy Birthday' at a 50th wedding anniversary (not ours) dinner!!!!
Last year we went 'phone book' menu, such a disappointment.
This year went and again change, excellently cooked meal, but rather small portions.
I think overall restaurants use the ubiquitous tinned masala on everything.
Shacks you can sometimes get real 'home cooking'.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Dodgy Restaurants in Goa.

Originally Posted by Vagatorsunset
Always interested in places to avoid, by and large had decent food in many places. Tend to stick to the same restaurants in local areas, once I know the food is good. I avoid Baga as a rule cause it is like Benidorm.

Is it not easier to name good places ? I can remember those and there are quite a few.
Hey whats with the ITS LIKE BENIDORM???

Anti Spanish comments not allowed here....you will have to be exiled in Giblraltar!

Ole...
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

You have to remember that some peoples idea of good food is cookin sauces, ready meals frozen chips and over cooked fish and meat, in other words one persons good is another persons idea of foul so one persons recommendation may not be another person choice.
I think you are correct though we need to know if somewhere is preparing/serving food that will make us ill. I have been very lucky in the last few years and not had a serious bout of delhi belly but I am fairly careful about what I eat and where I eat it and I do not let myself get dehydrated as dehydration causes delhi belly.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Vagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to offend I don't have anything specifically against Benidorm but lines of chairs and traffic and the standard touristy stuff is not really my bag. I go to India to try and feel some kind of wholeness inside. I wish the development slowed pace and nature could proliferate again.

Last edited by Vagatorsunset; Nov 24th 2013 at 6:49 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Just recovered from a visit to Sy Restaurant, which is situated on the corner of the Anjuna arpora road junction that leads to Mackies Night Market. I would give this place 1 star for the toilets and nothing for the food. Ordered Vegetable Pilau Rice which came with chicken. Then Chicken Tikka Masala and that came tasting of Almonds and sugar ! Next day was a toilet event. Cheap and cheerful no. cheap and lousy yes.The place is full of rats too from rubbish thrown straight from the kitchen onto the field outside.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Dodgy Restaurants in Goa.

I went to Tin Tins in Vagator as I was playing there with two friends. Lots of our friends came along to hear us but they were very disappointed with the food and the service. In fact it was so bad that several of our friends stayed a while to hear us and then left to go and have a meal. We had a word with the owner at the end of the evening but he didnt really seem too bothered about losing a lot of customers.

There were lots of waiting staff and staff in the kitchen so what went wrong I really do not know. Some of our friends arrived at 7.30 and were still waiting for a drink two hours later...not great!
Old Dec 17th 2013, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

We tried to get into Why Not, near the temple in Calingut,for their famous fish & Chips, which my wife likes but i cannot stand bloody Basu as i find it chewy and bland. Anyway it was Karaoke open mike night and just our luck as we entered the door a big fat women grabbed the mike and the sound that came out reminded me of an old Massey Fergusson Tractor changing gears....... we fled to Spice Oven in Arpora and to my suprise i found their Steak Pie completely wonderful....just a few chips lots of gravy and at 300 rupees not bad.Bit pricey but not bad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.