Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Apr 29th 2013, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

davidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nice
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Originally Posted by Bipat
Of course caste and class discrimination still exists among many, usually less educated people, (and in India there are a lot of all sorts of people, with a billion population).
Though to base an opinion of contempt of an entire nationality (previous poster) on relatively little experience raises questions.
Goa is a unique state in many ways (not just the alcohol), no personal close experience of the Catholic population but Hindus tend to be stricter than elsewhere. (Although obviously not all of them).

Namaste originated actually to avoid infection from anyone (no antibiotics thousands of years ago).

Sikhs and turbans, just a fuss (again by just a few), many Sikhs don't wear turbans and sportsmen seem happy with just a cloth covering.
Law regarding motorcycle helmets does apply to all in UK.

Could you explain, with some detail, your second sentence.

You may not have any close personal experience of catholics or, I daresay, anything outwith Hinduism. I do.

I guess the world outside of India must have been a very unhealthy place to live !!!! Do you really believe this kind of twaddle,or is it part of your defensive system.

Davie.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 8:45 am
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

To quote myself ---- "caste discrimination is illegal in India, it should be illegal in the UK also"
What's not to understand?

Valid comparisons followed.

Muslim of course.

Old Apr 29th 2013, 9:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidhendry
Could you explain, with some detail, your second sentence.

You may not have any close personal experience of catholics or, I daresay, anything outwith Hinduism. I do.

I guess the world outside of India must have been a very unhealthy place to live !!!! Do you really believe this kind of twaddle,or is it part of your defensive system.

Davie.
Second sentence: generalisations about an entire nationality can they ever be in anyway accurate????

Not sure what you mean by "outwith" Do you mean 'outside' Hinduism? Hinduism originated the caste system.
Yes been a member of a very orthodox (non castist) Hindu family and large extended family for 45 years, majority not living in Goa but scattered over many states. Regardless of that individuals of the general community have often married 'out' including Christians and foreigners (me for one) and the occasional Muslim.

"Twaddle" you mean, not touching hands, that is what I have read about the origin of the practice. I imagine the world was an unhealthy place thousands years ago.

Digression: Actually OH still remembers plague in Karwar when a child, they all slept in tents in gardens while rat population eliminated from houses. It worked no plague since. Bet there was no hand touching then!!!

Last edited by Bipat; Apr 29th 2013 at 9:18 am. Reason: Addition
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

davidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nicedavidhendry is just really nice

Second sentence: generalisations about an entire nationality can they ever be in anyway accurate????

Not sure what you mean by "outwith" Do you mean 'outside' Hinduism? Hinduism originated the caste system.
Yes been a member of a very orthodox (non castist) Hindu family and large extended family for 45 years, majority not living in Goa but scattered over many states. Regardless of that individuals of the general community have often married 'out' including Christians and foreigners (me for one) and the occasional Muslim.

"Twaddle" you mean, not touching hands, that is what I have read about the origin of the practice. I imagine the world was an unhealthy place thousands years ago.

Digression: Actually OH still remembers plague in Karwar when a child, they all slept in tents in gardens while rat population eliminated from houses. It worked no plague since. Bet there was no hand touching then!!!
Don't know where I generalised about any nationality.I'm quite sure you know I should have written " outside." Not being English I'm sure I can be excused for being ignorant of the finer points.

I'm not quite sure what orthodox Hindu is. According to my reading, Hinduism is a way of life based on caste. Orthodox, means conforming with the established.

Davie.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidhendry
Don't know where I generalised about any nationality.I'm quite sure you know I should have written " outside." Not being English I'm sure I can be excused for being ignorant of the finer points.

I'm not quite sure what orthodox Hindu is. According to my reading, Hinduism is a way of life based on caste. Orthodox, means conforming with the established.

Davie.
You didn't generalise, if you look back at my post, I said ("previous poster").

I was not sure about the "outside" as I am not "A Hindu" (I think you need to be born one), I thought you meant I did not know anything.

Hinduism yes is more a philosophy about way of life than a religion, and it entails far far more than the ancient, original division of society into work groups ie castes.
Also obviously evolved over the centuries.

By orthodox I meant following all the ceremonies, Pujas, events, self disciplines etc. etc. and etc. As much social as religious.

Last edited by Bipat; Apr 29th 2013 at 11:01 am.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 12:20 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

I was not sure about the "outside" as I am not "A Hindu" (I think you need to be born one), I thought you meant I did not know anything.
Wrong, many people convert.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ts_to_Hinduism

"Some hindus believe you have to be born into it, some do not, most believe in monkey gods, elephant gods and snake gods, so heaven knows who is right?

Old Apr 29th 2013, 12:38 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnny five

"Some hindus believe you have to be born into it, some do not, most believe in monkey gods, elephant gods and snake gods, so heaven knows who is right?

When a catholic marries a Hindu (from my experience) the Hindu has to convert to the catholic church.

Why not the other way around?
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by johnny five

Matter of opinion regarding 'conversion' you can study, accept the philosophy etc. my own personal opinion a Hindu is born. I always think converts a little artificial, just my view.

Most do not believe in monkey gods etc. in the sense you mean. The word God is used more loosely in Hinduism, covers what Christians might call saints or mythological figures, Hindus also like visual 'icons'. The multiple so-called Gods represent facets of the one Deity eg. God creates, destroys, is good, bad etc. Much like God the Father, Son etc. Each of these is represented by a figure which is seen as holy, similar to the holiness of a cross.
Of course some people of a very simple faith think there are figures up in the sky on clouds much like angels and cherubs. Most are more sophisticated.
As I said previously Hinduism is primarily a philosophy, you can be an atheist or agnostic and still be a Hindu (I have such relatives).
Old Apr 29th 2013, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by noni
When a catholic marries a Hindu (from my experience) the Hindu has to convert to the catholic church.

I think this is a Catholic thing Noni, even other Christians have to make certain promises regarding the children's religious upbringing if they marry a Catholic.
However you can be a Christian, nominal or otherwise; marry and study Hindu philosophy attend temple ceremonies, take part in Pujas do what you like or don't do what you don't like. Hindu things are often more social than religious. I have been enjoying or being bored mostly the former for a long time. (OH and I, had both ceremonies church and Hindu)
Old Apr 29th 2013, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by noni

I think it may be a matter of choice. I have several friends who converted to Catholicism as their Catholic partner felt very strongly about marrying in the Catholic church and it used to (and still may) be a requirement, they also had to agree to bring any children up as Catholics. I also have Catholic friends who married in a registry office despite their parents disapproval. I think you might find that those from a Catholic background who are not practising Catholics might well be willing to convert to Hindu
Old Apr 29th 2013, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by k800mer
I think it may be a matter of choice. I have several friends who converted to Catholicism as their Catholic partner felt very strongly about marrying in the Catholic church and it used to (and still may) be a requirement, they also had to agree to bring any children up as Catholics. I also have Catholic friends who married in a registry office despite their parents disapproval. I think you might find that those from a Catholic background who are not practising Catholics might well be willing to convert to Hindu
K800, as I mentioned above you don't have to "convert" to Hinduism, you can be a both Christian and accept Hindu philosophy. There is no conflict.

Or the other way round. My relatives are always interested in Christian ideals etc. (Just don't mention Christian missionaries---no meeting of minds there!!!!!)
I have read that the famous Swami Vivekananda always carried a bible. Also Gandhi studied Christianity.

Last edited by Bipat; Apr 29th 2013 at 3:37 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

K800, as I mentioned above you don't have to "convert" to Hinduism, you can be a both Christian and accept Hindu philosophy. There is no conflict.

Or the other way round. My relatives are always interested in Christian ideals etc. (Just don't mention Christian missionaries---no meeting of minds there!!!!!)
I have read that the famous Swami Vivekananda always carried a bible. Also Gandhi studied Christianity.
You can be a Hindu and accept Christian philosophy, but not the other way around, there most certainly is a conflict, graven images for starters!

AndyD
Old Apr 29th 2013, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by a_f_d
You can be a Hindu and accept Christian philosophy, but not the other way around, there most certainly is a conflict, graven images for starters!

AndyD
Why not?? I can! and certainly many others do. As I said before, the images/ icons of the various characteristics of 'God' are only part of Hindu philosophy, you can be an atheist or agnostic, never go into a temple and still be a Hindu.
'Graven images'? centuries old representations of God as destroyer, creator etc. and thus seen as holy.
What is the difference from them and the 'cross', the statues of Mary, Jesus Joseph, Russian Orthodox icons etc.
Personally I am not religious in the sense of 'worshipping' but see the philosophy of both Christianity and Hinduism as compatible.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 9:41 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Care to explain the apparent derrogatory remark aout Christian missionaries?
Some of us have our ancestry steeped in missionary work !
Take a look at the "Polynesian Apostle" John Williams...................who taught the Polynesians engineering skills and boat building which enriched their lives, and through his teachings virtually eradicated cannibalism throughout most islands in the South Seas......

Dread - x
Old Apr 30th 2013, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dreadsoc
Care to explain the apparent derrogatory remark aout Christian missionaries?
Some of us have our ancestry steeped in missionary work !
Take a look at the "Polynesian Apostle" John Williams...................who taught the Polynesians engineering skills and boat building which enriched their lives, and through his teachings virtually eradicated cannibalism throughout most islands in the South Seas......

Dread - x
Not my derogatory remark Dread, but the opinion of relatives and many Indian people, haven't you been asked at immigration when travelling alone "are you a missionary"?
They have the impression that all missionaries are out to force/ buy people to convert to Christianity. I have argued against this (and you know I can argue!) with rels. and pointed out the charitable work of most missionaries, but no success the idea of forced conversion is fixed in their minds. It has to be remembered that many of my relative's ancestry is in Goa with Portuguese atrocities against Hindus.
I will 'look up' John Williams.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.