Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Cooking and shopping for ingredients

Cooking and shopping for ingredients

Old Sep 10th 2007, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Kinrara will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cooking and shopping for ingredients

Originally Posted by KKK
Hi All
Although there is a still a long way to go before I get possession of my apartment in Goa, just curious, how does one get a cooking gas connection in goa - what the procedure like and how much time does it take ?

regards

KKK
Hi KKK

This is our experience!

We heard in April that there was a shortage of gas bottles, so we went to gas shop in Calungute nr the temple/roundabout with a copy of our sale agreement and ordered 2 bottles.

On Saturday we called in for our ordered gas bottles, we were told that the their computer was down, come back at 4pm. My husband went back at 4pm paid for the 2 gas bottles got conned into having to buy the gas stove (which we didn't need as we have our own!) got all the paperwork done and then was told they didn't have any as they had run out, come back on Monday! :curse:

It is Monday today, so haven't been yet, but will keep you posted! Not really a problem as we have a convection microwave and we are still enjoying eating out.

Regards
Old Sep 10th 2007, 5:34 am
KKK
Forum Regular

KKK will become famous soon enoughKKK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kinrara
Hi KKK

This is our experience!

We heard in April that there was a shortage of gas bottles, so we went to gas shop in Calungute nr the temple/roundabout with a copy of our sale agreement and ordered 2 bottles.

On Saturday we called in for our ordered gas bottles, we were told that the their computer was down, come back at 4pm. My husband went back at 4pm paid for the 2 gas bottles got conned into having to buy the gas stove (which we didn't need as we have our own!) got all the paperwork done and then was told they didn't have any as they had run out, come back on Monday! :curse:

It is Monday today, so haven't been yet, but will keep you posted! Not really a problem as we have a convection microwave and we are still enjoying eating out.

Regards
Hi Kinrara

best of luck for your gas cylinders (bottles), It seems you are going to need it
And lesson for the day is that one must buy a microwave before one thinks of getting a gas connection.

Seriously then - in terms of paperwork one just needs the sales deed and one gets a gas connection?

regards
KKK
Old Sep 10th 2007, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KKK
Hi Kinrara

best of luck for your gas cylinders (bottles), It seems you are going to need it
And lesson for the day is that one must buy a microwave before one thinks of getting a gas connection.

Seriously then - in terms of paperwork one just needs the sales deed and one gets a gas connection?

regards
KKK
Hi KKK

Part 2

Went along with certificate/red book and have been given two gas bottles, so all ends well. We only had our sale agreement, we haven't unfortunately got our deeds, lucky you!

Regards
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:15 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Hi KKK

Part 2

Went along with certificate/red book and have been given two gas bottles, so all ends well. We only had our sale agreement, we haven't unfortunately got our deeds, lucky you!
Regards

Hi, Kinrara

What good has it done us having our deeds. :curse:

Enjoy yourself.

Noni
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

TONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond reputeTONY P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noni
Hi, Kinrara

What good has it done us having our deeds. :curse:

Enjoy yourself.

Noni
No good DEED does unpunished
TP
Old Sep 10th 2007, 3:04 pm
TDK
BE Enthusiast

TDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the roughTDK is a jewel in the rough
Post Re: Cooking and shopping for ingredients

Hi KKK

Part 2

Regards
Hi Kinrara,

just to say thanks very much for sharing that info on getting the gas cylindars and its relief to know that its possible to get em on an AS contract alone! I'm amazed that you've already got your internet and gas bottles sorted out so quickely! You must be on a winning streak so maybe you should enter the next Crorepathi/lotto!
All the best
TDK
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:18 am
KKK
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TONY P
No good DEED does unpunished
TP
H Tony

a DEED in need is a DEED indeed
Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:22 am
KKK
Forum Regular

Hi KKK

Part 2

Regards
Hi Kinrara

congratulations!! Now that you have two "bottles" I guess its time to celebrate or should I ask what's cooking

Thanks a lot for the information. Now I am all set to get my bottles when the time comes !!.

regards

KKK

Last edited by KKK; Sep 11th 2007 at 2:59 am.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

On the wall of the gas shop in Calangute there is a notice which say either
WE DO NOT SAY NO or WE ALWAYS SAY YES - just the same answer.

At this moment can't remember which but when I filled in the form for the bottles I said I wanted 3 so he said - you can only have 2 so I said - what is that on the wall? WHICH WALL - that one over there - YOU CAN HAVE 1 -
Gave up and had 2. Also was conned into buying the gas rings but gave them away to a good home.
Next was - will you bring the bottles outside - No come back in a month and we will give you the book.
Pick them up from the depot in about a month.
Good job we had friends we could borrow from.

Many years ago we rented a flat which did not have any cooking facilities so found out we could get a gas bottle on the black market from Mapusa - went there and payed lots of money for a bottle, rings and pans. We came back on a scooter like every Goan loaded up with everything tied to the bike
The only problem was that the gas ran out half way during our evening meal and who wants to go to Mapusa at that time of night. We did buy an electric ring which was a little more than useless at 6pm when everybody was using the little electricty available at that time.
Things are better now
Old Sep 15th 2007, 1:08 pm
wen
Forum Regular

wen will become famous soon enoughwen will become famous soon enough

Hi emsirrah

Thanks for the info. Regarding the fabric softner, when I use it in the UK, it makes my towels/clothes soft and smell nice, maybe I won't need it like you say in Goa!

Regards
You can buy a 2ltr comfort 185/- from farmers choice on NH17 Porvorim on way to Panjim, and any soap powder you want ariel, tide, surf, rin (indian)and many more Wen
Old Sep 16th 2007, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wen
You can buy a 2ltr comfort 185/- from farmers choice on NH17 Porvorim on way to Panjim, and any soap powder you want ariel, tide, surf, rin (indian)and many more Wen
Hi Wen

Many thanks for that info, will check it out.

Regards
Old Sep 28th 2007, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Helene will become famous soon enoughHelene will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Old Spice
Any advice on where to get local produce might be helpful. I'm sure I can't be the only one finding my way around. For instance, has anyone found double cream yet? I've found their natural yogurt is beautiful but I've so far only found that sickly sweet boxed cream, not fresh cream. I normally use olive oil for cooking in the UK, what is the next best thing in Goa? Do they use a local version of self raising flour? Also, I've tried buying spices on Mapusa market but they must have seen me coming. I spent, what seemed quite a lot of money on a handful of spices but at the same time as I was being served, a little old lady bought this huge bag of spices for only a few rupees. I think I must have sucker written on my forehead!
Other shops that you should check out are Saligao Supermarket - has good reductions if you buy 3 of anything and tins of imported sardins are RS25 and anchovies are RS75 he seems to have more American goodies like Oreos and cereals with marshmallows in than UK goods but he does do a good tin of Heinze BBs! When his veggies come in I prefer to buy from him than struggle and haggle in the market... Farmers Choice is the only place that I buy any meat products and she has the advantage of the booze upstairs but it is busy and the q-ing system has led me to walk out sans shopping on more than one occasion... there is also Prime Shoppe in Calangute which I have not been too but heard good things about. In Povorim Maple has opened up in conjunction with a Breads and More but I prefer the pao wallers fare anyday... Helene