Car Purchase

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

kumar101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Purchase

Hello all,

Im considering going to live in India for a year in a few months time, fortunate enough to have a PIO Card.

Thinking of buying a new Suzuki Swift Diesel to travel around in and then bring it back to the UK. RRP in the UK is £10,000 probably get at least 10% discount on that price.

Price in Goa as per their Web Site is 523283 rs which works out at about £6500. Can you negotiate discounts?

How easy would it be to bring it back to the UK. Has anyone done this and would I have to pay import duty. What if I bought a second hand low mileage Car would that be liable for import duty?

Regards,

Kumar

Last edited by kumar101; Aug 22nd 2007 at 4:53 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 11:57 pm
KKK
Forum Regular

KKK will become famous soon enoughKKK will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Car Purchase

Originally Posted by kumar101
Hello all,

Im considering going to live in India for a year in a few months time, fortunate enough to have a PIO Card.

Thinking of buying a new Suzuki Swift Diesel to travel around in and then bring it back to the UK. RRP in the UK is £10,000 probably get at least 10% discount on that price.

Price in Goa as per their Web Site is 523283 rs which works out at about £6500. Can you negotiate discounts?

How easy would it be to bring it back to the UK. Has anyone done this and would I have to pay import duty. What if I bought a second hand low mileage Car would that be liable for import duty?

Regards,

Kumar
Hi Kumar101

Welcome to the site!

I can only answer you question partially.

Yes you can negotiate discounts, but it may be easier to do so in a bigger town like Mumbai or Delhi where there is more competition than in Goa. You need to contact variouls dealers and ask them for the best price, and once they tell you that they can't go any lower... then bargain hard

regards

KKK
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 12:55 am
Just Joined

Hi KKK,

Thanks for the Tip. I know Mumbai quite well so could buy from there.

I was naive enough to think that I could just walk in to showroom with a wad of cash and walk out with Motor but it aint that easy.

Been researching this today and found out that just like everything else in India its not straight-forward there’s a load of red tape one has to try and bypass. You need to provide proof of residential status they normally ask for a PAN card. First I’ve heard of a PAN Card myself, just in case anyone else is curious it stands for Permanent Account Number - its your Tax ID Number. You are supposed to present this when making purchases of more than 25,000. Also, when you come to sell a Vehicle in another state you need get a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the state where you purchased before you can sell it somewhere else.

Wonder how much paperwork needs to be done to take it out of the country. Probably have to hire an admin person for a week. Marvelous!

Regards,

Kumar.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:44 am
KKK
Forum Regular

Hi KKK,

Thanks for the Tip. I know Mumbai quite well so could buy from there.

I was naive enough to think that I could just walk in to showroom with a wad of cash and walk out with Motor but it aint that easy.

Been researching this today and found out that just like everything else in India its not straight-forward there’s a load of red tape one has to try and bypass. You need to provide proof of residential status they normally ask for a PAN card. First I’ve heard of a PAN Card myself, just in case anyone else is curious it stands for Permanent Account Number - its your Tax ID Number. You are supposed to present this when making purchases of more than 25,000. Also, when you come to sell a Vehicle in another state you need get a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the state where you purchased before you can sell it somewhere else.

Wonder how much paperwork needs to be done to take it out of the country. Probably have to hire an admin person for a week. Marvelous!

Regards,

Kumar.
Hi Kumar

talking about buying and selling in different states, I may as well add, the state taxes on cars differ from state to state depending on who the manufacturer is, for example Maruti cars (such as swift) are cheaper in Delhi than in Mumbai, but I think fiat is cheaper in Mumbai than in Delhi

regards

KKK
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by KKK
Hi Kumar

talking about buying and selling in different states, I may as well add, the state taxes on cars differ from state to state depending on who the manufacturer is, for example Maruti cars (such as swift) are cheaper in Delhi than in Mumbai, but I think fiat is cheaper in Mumbai than in Delhi

regards

KKK

Didnt know that ... maybe I should just buy a beaten-up old Car and run it to the ground.

Has anyone managed to buy/register/insurance a car ? Would be interested to know what the process was.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 2:53 pm
KKK
Forum Regular

Didnt know that ... maybe I should just buy a beaten-up old Car and run it to the ground.

Has anyone managed to buy/register/insurance a car ? Would be interested to know what the process was.
Believe me it's much easier to register/ insure a new car - it gets done automatically at the time of the purchase...for a second hand you have to run around a lot more

KKK
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advise KKK,

No sure how Im going to play this.

Want to avoid all the hassle but might end up having to do the whole caboodle to stay above board. Which means getting a PAN Card, Driving Test .... etc.

Regards,

Kumar.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Found a Maruti Zen with Extreme Power here: http://www.carwale.com/Used/CarDetails-car-S18059.html
Seller Comments : this car for genuine buyers and the one who looking for themselves 4more details 9833508049 ths car is with the extreme power and good mileage of 15 kmpl ths car is Maruti ZEN 2000 lx model its Gold in colour and with fully loaded pioneer music system and the deal can be done without the music system so no hazzel has also got XENOS security system so those who r looking to buy a original conditioned non accidental and good mileage car maruti zen 2000 lx model for Rs.1,40,000(Bit negotiable[sic])
Maybe he forgot to mention the Nitous-Oxide mod perhaps.

Kumar
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

leegrand is an unknown quantity at this point

Found a Maruti Zen with Extreme Power here: http://www.carwale.com/Used/CarDetails-car-S18059.html

Maybe he forgot to mention the Nitous-Oxide mod perhaps.

Kumar
HI KUMAR.
DONT BUY NEW TO SHIP BACK, YOU WILL BE OUT OF POCKET, VAT IS CHARGED ON TOP OF COST, INSURANCE, FREIGHT. THEN REGITRATION PROBLEMS. AT THE END OF IT YOU HAVE WHAT THEY CALL AN IMPORT JOB. NOT WORTH THE SAME AS A GENUINE UK PURCHASED ONE WHEN YOU GO TO SELL. THERE ARE PLENTY OF SECOND HAND MOTORS AVAILABLE.
LEEGRAND.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by leegrand
HI KUMAR.
DONT BUY NEW TO SHIP BACK, YOU WILL BE OUT OF POCKET, VAT IS CHARGED ON TOP OF COST, INSURANCE, FREIGHT. THEN REGITRATION PROBLEMS. AT THE END OF IT YOU HAVE WHAT THEY CALL AN IMPORT JOB. NOT WORTH THE SAME AS A GENUINE UK PURCHASED ONE WHEN YOU GO TO SELL. THERE ARE PLENTY OF SECOND HAND MOTORS AVAILABLE.
LEEGRAND.
Hi Leegrand,

Didnt realise you'd have to pay VAT on top so thanks for the advise.

Have to look around for a 2nd hand one when I get there. Would you agree that it might be too dodgy to buy from the owner direct?

Kumar.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

The driving test will take longer than the life of a second hand car We have a friend living part time in Goa who is a NRI and he is hoping to take his test this coming season. This will be the 3rd season this saga has been going on and he almost gave up but then he said he will not be beaten by this ******* system and will see it out to the end.
He is taking an International driving licence with him next month just in case it carries on.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

leegrand is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Leegrand,

Didnt realise you'd have to pay VAT on top so thanks for the advise.

Have to look around for a 2nd hand one when I get there. Would you agree that it might be too dodgy to buy from the owner direct?

Kumar.
HI KUMAR.
YOU HAVE TO GET A N.O.C. FORM FROM THE SELLER. THEN TRYYYYYYY TO GET THE CAR IN YOUR NAME AT THE R.T.O. I DONT THINK YOU CAN DO IT ON A TOURIST VISA THOUGH. IF YOU GO THROUGH A DEALERSHIP INSIST WITHOUT THE CAR IN YOUR NAME...NO DEAL..I BOUGHT FROM MAURITI GARAGE IN PANJIM, THEY DID IT FOR ME.
LEEGRAND.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 7:53 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leegrand
HI KUMAR.
YOU HAVE TO GET A N.O.C. FORM FROM THE SELLER. THEN TRYYYYYYY TO GET THE CAR IN YOUR NAME AT THE R.T.O. I DONT THINK YOU CAN DO IT ON A TOURIST VISA THOUGH. IF YOU GO THROUGH A DEALERSHIP INSIST WITHOUT THE CAR IN YOUR NAME...NO DEAL..I BOUGHT FROM MAURITI GARAGE IN PANJIM, THEY DID IT FOR ME.
LEEGRAND.
Hi All

Do you have to have an international driving licence or are our plastic ones o.k. with our photo's on.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

michellea is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi if you do decide to go ahead you need to first check that the vehicle meets European stds. We once considered buying an enfield to export but having contacted Enfield they were honest enough to advise that it wouldn't meet EU stds and they didn't advise buying to export. The bikes that do meet EU stds are not available in India as the EU dealers would suffer and so oppose the selling of them in India.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by emsirrah
The driving test will take longer than the life of a second hand car We have a friend living part time in Goa who is a NRI and he is hoping to take his test this coming season. This will be the 3rd season this saga has been going on and he almost gave up but then he said he will not be beaten by this ******* system and will see it out to the end.
He is taking an International driving licence with him next month just in case it carries on.
Hi emsirrah,

oh Dear, ...... didnt want to hear it but its as I suspected. Have a feeling they are looking to be bribed :curse:

Ive been driving for 27 years so see any valid reason to fail. Im going to be exactly like your friend and persist until I obtain my licence legitimately. Do you know if each town ie Mapusa, Panjim, Margao have their own Test Centres ?

Kumar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.