Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Bomb Blasts and Gun Shots in Mumbai

Bomb Blasts and Gun Shots in Mumbai

Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

dugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura about
Default Bomb Blasts and Gun Shots in Mumbai

Breaking news that attacks on Taj hotel and Trident hotel in Mumbai plus railway terminus. Is this likely to spread to other parts of india and if so when.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 1:32 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bomb Blasts and Gun Shots in Mumbai

Originally Posted by dugmorephil
Breaking news that attacks on Taj hotel and Trident hotel in Mumbai plus railway terminus. Is this likely to spread to other parts of india and if so when.

http://www.goanvoice.org.uk. and you will get the full story. Sounds awful
The terrorists were actively looking for people with British and American Passports.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

thatman will become famous soon enoughthatman will become famous soon enough

NDTV saying 101 dead including 6 foreigners and 110 injured. 9am Indian time.
Gunfire can still be heard at the Taj and the Trident (which was the Oberoi).

Phil - there was an article in Times of India saying that New Year is not going to be a good time to be in Goa - will try and find it - I do have it somewhere.

Last edited by thatman; Nov 26th 2008 at 2:46 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Found - this is just part of it.

"Oct. 15: The world famous beaches of Goa are on the hitlist of Indian Mujahideen (IM) which has been planning a terrorist strike in the city around New Year eve this year at a time when it is the most crowded. IM members arrested in Delhi in connection with the Delhi serial blasts, have told their interrogators that the outfit has been planning to strike in Goa in December 2008.
The target is American, British and Israeli tourists, who are the most frequent visitors to Goa."

The Deccan Mujahideen have claimed to be the terrorist behind these terrible things happening in Mumbai at the moment.
We are all ringing each other here in Goa at the moment and have all said we are now staying home on NY Eve. It is ok saying that they will not stop us going about our daily life but now that it is real we are changing our minds.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

jcbrum is an unknown quantity at this point

These attacks are definitely a shift in pattern,where they are actualy targeting foreigners.It has to be only a matter a of time now before Goa is bombed.Speaking to people here,everyone is a lot more nervous than before.

John
Old Nov 26th 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

dugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura aboutdugmorephil has a spectacular aura about

Thatman,

Thanks for posting the Oct 15th report. I had memories of something along those lines but could not remember exact report. On radio in UK this morning a Terrorist expert was saying that the Deccan Mujahadeen was probably a breakaway group of the Indian Mujahadeen mentioned in the article.
Problem is security in Goa is non existent in Hotels at least in Mumbai the hotels do have some form of security but even this was not up to preventing this type of attack.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:17 pm
Banned

johnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond reputejohnny five has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dugmorephil
Thatman,

Problem is security in Goa is non existent in Hotels at least in Mumbai the hotels do have some form of security but even this was not up to preventing this type of attack.
With all due respect, what security measures would you suggest to stop large numbers of dedicated terrorists throwing grenades and firing automatic weapons indiscriminately?
Personally I can't think of any realistic ones!
Our security here in Goa is almost entirely in our own hands. The authorities have proved over and over again that they are totally inadequate in every respect............................
Old Nov 26th 2008, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by johnny five
With all due respect, what security measures would you suggest to stop large numbers of dedicated terrorists throwing grenades and firing automatic weapons indiscriminately?
Personally I can't think of any realistic ones!
Our security here in Goa is almost entirely in our own hands. The authorities have proved over and over again that they are totally inadequate in every respect............................

Johnny Five,

That was my point but probably not put as well as I would have liked. Fact is even with security in Mumbai hotels these terrorists seemed to have no trouble breaking through and not surprising really as they have no respect for their own lives let alone those of others.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

spangalina is an unknown quantity at this point

they hit Leopolds Cafe when it was packed with foreigners, they've attacked the Jewish Centre too. anywhere in goa is a target, flea market, night market, curlies, a party at hilltop, calangute. its chaos in mumbai
Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Vagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really niceVagatorian is just really nice

I was in Leopolds in March very scary indeed, Tito road would be the place to avoid at New Year, these people just don`t care who or what they target:curse:
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

spangalina is an unknown quantity at this point

they riddled it with gunfire, no word on casualties.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

erinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really niceerinsgirl is just really nice

I agree with the comments that sadly Saturday and Anjuna markets and hilltop and Titos road are all very likely targets. It's certainly not a comforting feeling to know that Brits and US nationals are being specifically targetted. But probably no surprise. Don't normally do tourist things that much but did go to Anjuna market two weeks ago for the first time in a year. Was surprised at the number of young men in their 20's apparently of Middle Eastern origin and speaking Eygptian arabic! Thought they were unlikely tourists I have to say. Maybe they are here as sleepers?. Who knows but the TV today suggests that the terrorists in Mumbai may well have had some strong local support.

I think it's definitely a question of when Goa is hit rather than if. Personally I think many people will stay in around New Years Eve rather than risk being in the wrong place at the wrong time. We certainly will be very careful now in the lead up to then.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:25 am

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by erinsgirl
I agree with the comments that sadly Saturday and Anjuna markets and hilltop and Titos road are all very likely targets. It's certainly not a comforting feeling to know that Brits and US nationals are being specifically targetted. But probably no surprise. Don't normally do tourist things that much but did go to Anjuna market two weeks ago for the first time in a year. Was surprised at the number of young men in their 20's apparently of Middle Eastern origin and speaking Eygptian arabic! Thought they were unlikely tourists I have to say. Maybe they are here as sleepers?. Who knows but the TV today suggests that the terrorists in Mumbai may well have had some strong local support.

I think it's definitely a question of when Goa is hit rather than if. Personally I think many people will stay in around New Years Eve rather than risk being in the wrong place at the wrong time. We certainly will be very careful now in the lead up to then.
Large companies are stopping their staff flying to India for at least 14 days!
you are requested on the FO site to register with the embassy, this can be done on line.

Definately no Marriot, Taj or Leela Palace, nor the Saturday night markets.

Unfortunately in this evil world, it can happen anytime anyplace.

Keep safe.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:31 am
Just Joined

floorden is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all sorry to hear whats happening in Mumbai, I'm hoping for a little advice, we travel to Baga at the beginning of December for 4 weeks with my young family could someone please advise what the situation and atmosphere is like as looking at the news Im a little concerned.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Nothing has changed here in North Goa - everything is as normal except we talk within our group of friends - what shall we do on NY Eve etc. No panic and some people here have no idea what has happened in Mumbai. This it what it was like when the Tsunami happened at Christmas 2004 - lots of holidaymakers here had no idea it had happened and when they found out had no idea where it was in relation to Goa (some even thought Goa was an Island) but did not really care.
This is how it is today - no change as far as tourist are concerned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.