Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

3 month visa for Brits????

3 month visa for Brits????

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 3 month visa for Brits????

Originally Posted by Remy-Ireland
..... I don't think it means the abolishment of the 6 month multiple entry tourist visa.
Remy, those of us with property here used to get X visas, at one time that meant 5-year X visas, recently (well, since 2006) it was 12 month X visas which although theoretically renewable actually weren't.
This year the MHA say "a Tourist Visa can only be granted to a foreigner who does not have a residence or occupation in India" - but they told us we were 'eligible' for 12 month Tourist visas.
Now they are apparently saying that 3 - 6 month visas are the norm. Given that it is not safe to book flights before getting a visa, and it's best to leave a bit of contingency at the other end, a 12 month visa is the only remaining way to get 6 months here - the prospect of waiting to see and maybe only getting a 3 month visa is mind curdling!
It's too late for waiting and seeing, will everyone please PANIC and run around screaming and waving their arms about - if we do that there is at least a small chance this won't happen === come on folks, you know it's true => it's the usual way of doing things in India - announce something and wait for the backlash - if there isn't one then do it; otherwise do a U turn.

AndyD 8-)#
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bipat
Andy I would be interested in your thoughts on my post (last one on the '2 months out rule' thread). Or could it make situation worse?
... a good post - can I get back to you later on that idea - Cheers AndyD 8-)#
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 2:52 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppetjay
I can understand fully where people are coming from saying not to worry until it happens well im sorry it has happened !!!!!! to two dear friends who have lived in Goa for over 12 years and done everything by the book.... have invested their money here and their life and home is here in India and what will happen to them now ....... 3 month visa 2 months out, a home here 4 dogs, 1 cat, friends ........ not as simple as wait and see what happens for them is it....
And there are so many more in their position or will be very soon, they havent got a second home in the UK, this is their home ...... their not on holiday !!!!!! and cant walk away and forget it.... any suggestions would be gratefully received but please dont say wait and see what happens as the shit has hit the fan for them ......
Have they got no way now of applying for a year visa? My heart goes out to them, they have been treated really badly, or have they been told 3 months and that is it.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by noni
Have they got no way now of applying for a year visa? My heart goes out to them, they have been treated really badly, or have they been told 3 months and that is it.
Noni - check the Visa help thread.

AndyD 8-(#
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 3:50 pm

noni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond reputenoni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heidigirl
My stomach is in knots reading this. Worried sick for my poor parents who have property in Goa. They've worked all their lives and now retired - TO THIS - they are spending all of their retirement money in India for goodness sake!!
Tourist Visa
A Tourist Visa is granted to those who would visit India for tourism. Tourist visas may be valid for 6 months to 1 year with single or multiple entries. Irrespective of the duration of validity of visa, on each visit maximum period of stay in India is limited to 6 months (180 days) only. Please note the validity of the visa is effective from the date of issue.
What have I missed - I know I am a dizzy blonde and some people get 3 month visa's and people with property are in noman's land.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 4:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Tourist Visa
A Tourist Visa is granted to those who would visit India for tourism. Tourist visas may be valid for 6 months to 1 year with single or multiple entries. Irrespective of the duration of validity of visa, on each visit maximum period of stay in India is limited to 6 months (180 days) only. Please note the validity of the visa is effective from the date of issue.
What have I missed - I know I am a dizzy blonde and some people get 3 month visa's and people with property are in noman's land.
Noni, this was the problem on the 'visa help thread' there are 2 Headings of 'Tourist' visa info. If you go to the visa list on the left side of the page and click on 'Tourist' it now states visas 3-6 months. Obviously causing confusion.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat
Noni, this was the problem on the 'visa help thread' there are 2 Headings of 'Tourist' visa info. If you go to the visa list on the left side of the page and click on 'Tourist' it now states visas 3-6 months. Obviously causing confusion.
I give up, as I have said, and been misunderstood, I am going to enjoy this holiday and face the visa problem next season. Otherwise the HCI have won by making all our stay in India worry, worry, worry.
I emailed Simon, with regard to this and the next Meeting. Will advise you all immediately I get a reply.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

I can understand fully where people are coming from saying not to worry until it happens well im sorry it has happened !!!!!! to two dear friends who have lived in Goa for over 12 years and done everything by the book.... have invested their money here and their life and home is here in India and what will happen to them now ....... 3 month visa 2 months out, a home here 4 dogs, 1 cat, friends ........ not as simple as wait and see what happens for them is it....
And there are so many more in their position or will be very soon, they havent got a second home in the UK, this is their home ...... their not on holiday !!!!!! and cant walk away and forget it.... any suggestions would be gratefully received but please dont say wait and see what happens as the shit has hit the fan for them ......
Where did they apply for their visa?
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to allRemy-Ireland is a name known to all

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Remy, those of us with property here used to get X visas, at one time that meant 5-year X visas, recently (well, since 2006) it was 12 month X visas which although theoretically renewable actually weren't.
This year the MHA say "a Tourist Visa can only be granted to a foreigner who does not have a residence or occupation in India" - but they told us we were 'eligible' for 12 month Tourist visas.
Now they are apparently saying that 3 - 6 month visas are the norm. Given that it is not safe to book flights before getting a visa, and it's best to leave a bit of contingency at the other end, a 12 month visa is the only remaining way to get 6 months here - the prospect of waiting to see and maybe only getting a 3 month visa is mind curdling!
It's too late for waiting and seeing, will everyone please PANIC and run around screaming and waving their arms about - if we do that there is at least a small chance this won't happen === come on folks, you know it's true => it's the usual way of doing things in India - announce something and wait for the backlash - if there isn't one then do it; otherwise do a U turn.

AndyD 8-)#
it appears that a 3 month visa is now expected if you apply in foreign countries but apart from the single entry exception AFAIK 6 month multiple entry visas are still the norm.

To panic about a 3 month possibility is a bit like panicking about a 30 day visa on arrival......worrying yes but pie in the sky until concrete.
What else can really be done other than wait and see?

I am with Noni on this one......scaremongering will only have a negative affect on the situation.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

msj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of lightmsj5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by a_f_d
... a good post - can I get back to you later on that idea - Cheers AndyD 8-)#
I agree that we should be doing something! But I do feel that unless people like the guys from Aldona or others who have been given or told they can only have 3 months visas are prepared to speak up with their experiences as fact rather than hearsaythen we`ve got no proof that this is happening!

I would willing support any action that could be organized!

It`s all well and good to say don`t worry about it -personally I`ve not slept for the past two nights.

I do realise that if this 3 month ruling does come in then some of you may have to forfeit having 5 months holiday a year in your properties!

What about us expats - its bad enough having to do 2 months exile every 5-6 months. Can you honestly imagine how we feel right now. !!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

Hi
The guys applied for their visa in UK london, they are still on a 5 yearX which runs out next month, they went to see the IHC in London and produced their documents even the court papers (court case pending) letters from advocates both sides..... in fact i thought they taken their officw with them so much paperwork.
They were NOT even offered a 6 month visa it was a 3 month visa or nothing, but they would have to stay out for 2 months before getting it, they spent hours taking and pleading their case but to no good they refused to listen and move on their descision..
If i offended anyone by saying "their not on holiday" im sorry, but a holiday is only for a certain length of time this is their "life"we are talking about, their trip to the UK was to them a holiday and a chance to visit family but it has been spoilt by this devastating news and they have worried family members now as well as friends.
The ruling for the "3 month only visa" will come into force as from march this the guys were told from the IHC itself not scaremongering im afraid because nik told me to put it on expats to warn everyone, Even with the problems he has he still cares enough to warn others
Old Jan 24th 2011, 2:06 am

Hi
The guys applied for their visa in UK london, they are still on a 5 yearX which runs out next month, they went to see the IHC in London and produced their documents even the court papers (court case pending) letters from advocates both sides..... in fact i thought they taken their officw with them so much paperwork.
They were NOT even offered a 6 month visa it was a 3 month visa or nothing, but they would have to stay out for 2 months before getting it, they spent hours taking and pleading their case but to no good they refused to listen and move on their descision..
If i offended anyone by saying "their not on holiday" im sorry, but a holiday is only for a certain length of time this is their "life"we are talking about, their trip to the UK was to them a holiday and a chance to visit family but it has been spoilt by this devastating news and they have worried family members now as well as friends.
The ruling for the "3 month only visa" will come into force as from march this the guys were told from the IHC itself not scaremongering im afraid because nik told me to put it on expats to warn everyone, Even with the problems he has he still cares enough to warn others
Well now - Panic!!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 3 month visa for Brits????

Well now - Panic!!
So has anyone any suggestions? It is worrying times and we should try and think of some sort of unified response but what?? In our Acron complex two apartments have been sold by their English owners in the last few weeks..
Old Jan 24th 2011, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

poppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to allpoppetjay is a name known to all

hope your ok still pretty gutted here but family have been supportive but it's no help really. Such a devastating set back Mick is holding it together but I feel it's just one thing after another thanks for your help please let expats know that if they have x visa do not leave get extensions xxxxx
this is the actual message i got from the guys !!!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

nokiauser is an unknown quantity at this point

"What about us expats - its bad enough having to do 2 months exile every 5-6 months. Can you honestly imagine how we feel right now. !!!!!!!!!!!

Yes - everyone who has had dealings with Goa can feel it.
The term expats has many definitions including one which states it is a person leaving his own country to live in another but you are living in India on a Tourist visa not a Residents visa and the Indian Government will and DO what they want - it is their Country.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.