Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Visiting Markets

Visiting Markets

Old Jan 24th 2013, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of
Default Visiting Markets

Hi, I am looking for some good markets to visit near the Slovenian boarder, if anyone knows of any?

Don't mind travelling as far as Graz.
Thanks
Old Jan 25th 2013, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future
Default Re: Visiting Markets

Germany doesn't share borders with Slovenia.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gioppino
Germany doesn't share borders with Slovenia.
.... but there's no dedicated Austrian forum....
On the other hand, don't they have markets in Slovenia?
Old Jan 25th 2013, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The Grossdeutsches Reich came to an end in 1945. Graz is quite definitely on the territory of the Austrian Republic !

What about the port that used to be the centre of the Austro-Hungarian Navy ? Trieste ? Which ow course is in Italy nowadays. Or Rijeka in Croatia (which was also a sizeable port for the Imperial Austrian Navy)

Last edited by scot47; Jan 25th 2013 at 7:33 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

booboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud ofbooboo24 has much to be proud of

ooops How silly of me.....

Thanks anyway
Old Jan 26th 2013, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Booboo24 ,
as you are participating in BE Forae , may I assume that you might well be British , Irish or similar English-speaking expat ?
Firstly , as a Brit-citizen on non-GB origins , let me be allowed to remark that , after years of living in Greater London , I never cease to be amazed at how challenged the great majority of natives appear to be in most matters of historical , geographical and linguistic interest , no offence intended to good pple of SE England !
Seconly : you fail to mention which kinda "markets" you are interested in e.g. foodstuffs , apparel ( Asian junk , 2nd hand , local gear ? ) , antiques , flowers , animals , bric-a-brac , handworks , ( classic/other ) cars...?

For the purposes of this reply for now , let's take it that food'n'general markets are of principal interest to you ?
Then , off hand , I can briefly tell you that
- Ljubljana market used to be v. nice ( especially if you like & enjoy a hot , fresh meaty take-away/eat by the Shtand in the cold , grease : be damned ! ) ;
- in relative proximity to yr neck'o'the woods are also :
* Zagreb market , largest by far in the 100-150 km radius !
* Graz market ( excellent selection , NOT cheap , fab Woerstchen mit Senf , nice civilised little town , full of ex-SLOvenes and ex-Croats , most of whom have done better for themselves therabouts than in their respective countries of origin ( as IS usual & to be expected , from such folk ! );
* there used to be a good-ish market in Leibnitz , close to SLO borders ;
* Koper market , by the Adriatic , is small but mostly local produce , on U.K. some might dare to call it "organic" ;
* the nearest market after Bregana and SLO/CRO silly border is in Samobor , small , but jumped-up ( NOT cheap ! ) ;
* Varazhdin , CRO has a market too - I can't recommend that one , dull & pedestrian to downmarket are my kindest words for it !
* Hungary : I wouldn't worry , nor spend my time , fuel , forints...
* Trieste one used to real lovely , albeit : a lot of ( best-looking , appetising & often : best-tasting ! ) imported foodstuffs , much more pricey than in Trieste greengrocers , Aldi or Lidl !
* Udine ( I ) : ditto !

Hope this helps , a little ?
Cheerz from The Thames ,
R.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

gioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant futuregioppino has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dmu
.... but there's no dedicated Austrian forum....
There should be one. I was going to move to Germany this year but due to deterioration of the job market, I am considering Austria. Besides, I don't know about you guys, as an Italian citizen I'd probably find myself more comfortable in Austria than in Germany.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Ray, thanks for that.. I must have been very tired when I posted this as I was thinking Austria!
I love second hand markets
Old Jan 26th 2013, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Right !
Lovely cottage you promote , I'd like to visit for some days or weeks nearer summer , en route to deeper into Balkans ( none of whom there deserve to be EU-member " states " but at least DC promises to give us here a better deal with the all-admired , overrated 4th Reich ) and to meet ya there in person !
As for the markets' query :
if it's 2nd hand goods you like to shop for ( e.i apparel , furniture , equipment , gadgets...catch my drift ? ) , in general I'd sooner forget about SLO , CRO , Austria & Italy , in my experience/s in those parts thereabouts !
Rather , besides the bleedin' obvious ( Portobello Rd . , nice & pricey but you get to meet the Posh mrs. Becks , on random occassions , too ! ) , you need Bruxelles , n.W. germany , La Belle France ( many markets in Paris , of course - but also Grrreat ones all over , I've been to ones in Lyon , Nice , Beziers , Reims , Toulouse ...and others ; personally , I don't have much interest nor patience in those respects , but good wifey is hopelessly addicted to browsing and amassing such " stuff " , while I sip the capuccinos .
N.B. among the very best is the Lille one ( Capitatal of Dept du Nord i.e. a stone throw from Calais & Engerland , if you travel by car/TGV/bus...) .
The others on BE may yet have better suggestions , be encouraged to p.m. me anytime whatsoever ,
Cheerz from Richmond today , good Luck with your biz arrangements in SLO ,
Ray