Reload this Page >

UNUSUAL (?) PASSPORT QUESTION

UNUSUAL (?) PASSPORT QUESTION

Old Jan 8th 2017, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

wonderstevie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UNUSUAL (?) PASSPORT QUESTION

Dear all,

I am a UK citizen who lives in Spain at present, though it'd be fairer to say I am just passing through here for now rather than am settled here for the long haul. All my 'administrative life' is currently still in UK and I am on an extended sabbatical from any work so am able to float around.

I am born in 1976 in UK of a German father and UK mother, who were married at the time. I've got all the relevant paperwork. I actually held a German passport for a while, I think it was 1992-1997 but then never renewed it...or maybe it was that in 1997 I couldn't have both a UK and German passport so chose just to have the UK one. I really can't remember. I do have that passport somewhere, but can't presently lay my hands on it. I'm confident I can dig it out if it's likely to be helpful to me.

So - this is my question, which as for many I guess, has arisen as a result of June 2016 referendum and the ever growing prospect that the UK is definitely coming out of the EU. I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to a German passport and given that I plan to spend time working and living in continental Europe over the coming years, I reckon this will be substantially easier if I have a German passport. I obviously don't want to give up my British one, but I believe I can have both. I've done some reading online about getting a German passport, either in UK (where there is an understandable backlog of several months at the moment) or possibly also in Spain where I am at present.

Anyone got any thoughts on whether it'd be easier to do it here in Spain or will I have to do it in the UK (given that I am not an official Spanish citizen)? Does the fact I used to have a German passport make life easier for me or trickier?

If anything has any advice or is in a similar position (?), I'd be grateful for any thoughts!

Danke, gracias and thanks a lot.

Wonderstevie
Old Jan 8th 2017, 9:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UNUSUAL (?) PASSPORT QUESTION

Just apply to renew your German passport at your local German consulate in Spain.