Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Reservation of German train seats

Reservation of German train seats

Old Oct 8th 2022, 7:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Reservation of German train seats

I bought return tickets to Germany from Strasbourg for ICEs on-line, without seeing any option to reserve seats. I'm now a bit worried that the respective trains will be full up and that I'll be standing for several hours....
I've since discovered that it costs 4€ (?) for each seat reservation and I'm wondering whether it's possible to request them on-line, using the Customer Reference (bearing in mind that I suffer from illectronism and it was a miracle that I managed to buy the tickets in the first place).
At worst, I could ask at my local rural Railway Station in France, but fear that they'd be overwhelmed by such a request. The ticket office had already recommended me to book my tickets myself from home.....
Has any one, having already bought ICE tickets, reserved seats on-line? If so, please share the procedure to follow!
Old Oct 23rd 2022, 7:28 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reservation of German train seats

Update for any one interested:
As expected, the French ticket counter obviously didn't want to wade around in foreign territory, and told me to ring the DB!
I finally found the correct place on the DB site, not realizing that you first had to click on "Buchbare Zusatzleistungen" . Sigh of relief to see the obvious "Sitzplatzreservierung" come up, after which it was plain sailing. The customer reference wasn't necessary, you simply choose the trains for which you've already got tickets. 4,50€ for each reservation - well worth it, after all that stress....
P.S. I take it that not all that many BE members travel by train in Germany (or you manage to book seats at the same time as buying the tickets!)
Old Oct 25th 2022, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Conmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond repute

First, glad you figured it out. Probably it is just me, but I prefer not to travel by train in Germany, given that I want to arrive in time - at least kind of.
Old Oct 30th 2022, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Update for any one interested:
As expected, the French ticket counter obviously didn't want to wade around in foreign territory, and told me to ring the DB!
I finally found the correct place on the DB site, not realizing that you first had to click on "Buchbare Zusatzleistungen" . Sigh of relief to see the obvious "Sitzplatzreservierung" come up, after which it was plain sailing. The customer reference wasn't necessary, you simply choose the trains for which you've already got tickets. 4,50€ for each reservation - well worth it, after all that stress....
P.S. I take it that not all that many BE members travel by train in Germany (or you manage to book seats at the same time as buying the tickets!)
DMU, glad you got it sorted. Bravo!
Can't remember the last time I travelled by train anywhere. Whenever it was the chap shovelling the coal though was probably George Stephenson.......
Old Oct 31st 2022, 7:50 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
DMU, glad you got it sorted. Bravo!
Can't remember the last time I travelled by train anywhere. Whenever it was the chap shovelling the coal though was probably George Stephenson.......
Since my family/inlaws are too wide-spread, I always leave the car at the Station and go everywhere by train. For Berlin, there aren't any direct flights from Montpellier in the Winter.....
Somewhat off-topic, but I remember a steam-train line serving my part of town, before Dr. Beeching got his axe out. I suddenly feel old.....