Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Namibian claiming Germany residency or passport

Namibian claiming Germany residency or passport

Old May 22nd 2024, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

nhs84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Namibian claiming Germany residency or passport

My partner is looking to see if he can get some form of rights for Germany or UK.

Details of my partner and his family are below:

Partner: Birth: Windhoek, 15 Jan 1986
South African passport at birth and then got a Namibian passport after independence. But kept South African passport whilst living in South Africa and has Namibian passport. Now lives in Australia and has an Australian passport too.

Father: Birth: 4 February 1958 - Gobabis, South West Africa (Namibia)
Namibian passport currently, but would have had a South African passport at his son's birth (my partners birth)

Grandfather: Birth: 29 July 1910, Keitsaub, Gobabis, South West Africa (Namibia)
Death: 17 June 1969 Gobabis, South West Africa (Namibia)
He was born in Namibia (then South-west Africa) in 1910 to German parents who emigrated there in 1908.

My partner's mum sent us a photo of a certificate of Naturalisation (written in Afrikaans) and we're trying to translate it. Attached below.

British Nationality and Union Neutralization and Alien Status Act, 1926.
On 17 June 1949 his grandfather (on his dad's side) became a British citizen. My partners dad was then born 1958.

Google translation:

Old Yesterday, 4:55 am
Forum Regular

nhs84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Namibian claiming Germany residency or passport

Looks like we might go down the route of applying for a skilled visa for Germany as my partner would be able to go down the 3 year fast track (otherwise worse case 5 years) for citizenship.

Question:
He currently has Namibian and South African passports (both birth rights given South West Africa situation with South Africa at the time of his birth in 1986). And also has an Australian passport through naturalisation.
So when aquiring a German passport through naturalisation, would he have to give up any other citizenships/passports?