Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Munich or Heidelberg?

Munich or Heidelberg?

Old Oct 19th 2009, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Northrup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Munich or Heidelberg?

My husband has been offered jobs in both cities and we are trying to make up our minds where to go. What are people's opinions/ experiences of either place?
Old Oct 19th 2009, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Munich or Heidelberg?

I would opt for Munich, but then we have lived in the region for 40 years and love it! Where in Munich has your husband been offered a job?
Heidelberg is pretty but I cant help you with details there. Both are university towns. Munich is a great, small town, plenty to see and do, has a good network of railways, is not far from the Alps and famous for its Christmas market, beer-halls and of course the October beer festival.
We live about 30 mins to the S/W of Munich in the lake district, connected to Munich by a regional train.
If you have any particular questions then please fire ahead.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

MunichMom is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Munich or Heidelberg?

Originally Posted by Northrup
My husband has been offered jobs in both cities and we are trying to make up our minds where to go. What are people's opinions/ experiences of either place?
I have just returned to the UK after having lived in Munich for the last 12 years. Heidelberg is wonderful - pretty, small, university city, cultural and welcoming if you can find a niche somewhere especially likely if you have a pre-built academic position you will fill - but Munich offers a lot more in terms of accessibility in other parts of Europe (Italy, Austria, Croatia etc) and offers everything a large city does (opera, theatre, cinemas in English, super restaurants and cultural events, large ex-pat and English speaking community if you want it) yet has a small town feel to it, and super access to the Alps for summer hiking and winter skiing, all possible in an easy day trip. Neither is cheap, though housing to rent is cheaper than the UK. Tax reforms on the table for the coming year, mean the current 40% will be reduced. Good benefits for families. Schooling very different from UK.

Both have good potential, but I'd go for Munich, as it offers everything Heidelberg can, and more.