Reload this Page >

Moving to Germany

Moving to Germany

Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

nerovelho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Germany

hi all,

I am a British citizen who is currently in the process of leaving the UK (Newcastle) for a job at Aachen. I am looking for people from or near Aachen to ask a couple of questions about the place.

my general questions are:

1. what is the best option for getting sky (I will not have a UK address after my move)

2. Are the deductions from one's paycheck really around 50%!!!!

3. What is the best option for public health insurance?

I was kinda hoping i would be able to save some money but it seems that although in terms of overall salary I am better off than the UK, I will propably be worse off after all the deductions.

any comments are welcome
regards all
N.

Last edited by nerovelho; Nov 12th 2008 at 1:06 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:33 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Germany

Originally Posted by nerovelho
hi all,

I am a British citizen who is currently in the process of leaving the UK (Newcastle) for a job at Aachen. I am looking for people from or near Aachen to ask a couple of questions about the place.

1. what is the best option for getting sky (I will not have a UK address after my move)

I was kinda hoping i would be able to save some money but it seems that although in terms of overall salary I am better off than the UK, I will propably be worse off after all the deductions.

any comments are welcome
regards all
N.
Only help on one point I'm afraid ... afaik SKY isn't licenced to broadcast in Germany and therefore the only way you will safely get it is by coninuing with your current contract and somehow using a relatives address
Old Nov 17th 2008, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as the SKY TV is concerned, we did the following. We bought a digibox via eBay from the UK. To get the card we used relatives address in the UK. Down here in Bavaria we need a really large Sat.Dish, dont know what the reception is like in but you'll need one thats at least 80cm. Best to go to your local Satellite dealer in Aachen they will know exactly. Here in Munich they know what we Brits need.
No, you wont be paying 50% in tax.
If you are earning under a certain amount then you will automatically be placed with the state health insurance. Ask your firm about this.
Aachen is a nice spot to live, so good luck.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

ketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really nice

Yepp, the deductions are nearly 50%.
I got tears in my eyes every single month.
And then you will learn, how the german tax system works.
It is brilliant. Only a few people know, how to get back tax from your local tax office.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

How much tax you pay depends on whether you are married or not, have children etc etc. What you think is tax deduction is infact a a mixture of payments including insurances (social security, health insurance, care insurance). You can save a bit of tax by saying you dont belong to any church (be an atheist) otherwise they take 10% just for that. They also deduct a solidarity sum, to help rebuild former East Germany. We as a married couple never paid 50% of our salary though.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notathome
You can save a bit of tax by saying you dont belong to any church (be an atheist)
Not quite the same thing ... for example, if you're a Methodist you are not part of the established churches and can claim exemption from the tax.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

FrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really niceFrankB is just really nice

Come on guys, the German tax system is not that bad ... and by the way, TAX deductions are not at 50%.

There will be a bunch of deductions from your gross salary, i.e. tax, pension, unemployment insurance and health insurance and some other minor bits and pieces which are avoidable on request. You will need to put in a tax declaration at the end of the financial year and best thing is either to use a tax consultant (they are bound on very strong legislation) or you look around for a non-profit organisation who can halp you with the forms.

Aachen is nice and adjacent areas are nice as well. It is very close the Dutch borderline so god chance to get cheap dope

good luck!
Old Dec 18th 2008, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Expat Mat is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahem, you can get Sky TV through a website that sets you up with a dodgy UK address but you will extra pay for that. One of them is called something like Skycards. I just cancelled mine as I was paying far too much for something I didn't watch that often. I still have the box and dish but only have the free channels, BBC, ITV and some docu and film. Not too bad.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 9:36 am
Just Joined

PeteDB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nerovelho
hi all,

any comments are welcome
regards all
N.
Hi
All my mates get SKY somehow, however, not sure if this is cosher. You can get some good TVby using an 80cm dish and 2 or 3 LNB.

The tax is complicated and you need to get a tax advisor (Steuerberater) to sort it out, at least for the first year, after that, as long as your situation does not change, you can do it yourself.

Health insurance depends on your income level, if you are above a certain amount then you can go private cheaper and more mangeable, if not then your employer will advise which public one is best, some are trade specific and this would be best as they cover the specific needs of that trade.

Anywy, Aachen is a nice place and has one of the best Christmas markets.

Enjoy Gruß
Pete