Reload this Page >

Looking for Brits in Freiburg/Breisgau

Looking for Brits in Freiburg/Breisgau

Old Jun 3rd 2011, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

anne-julie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for Brits in Freiburg/Breisgau

Dear all,

I am writing my PhD thesis at the University of Freiburg. I am looking for 10 native speakers of British English to participate in a short experiment. It's about second language acquisition (I want to compare German learners to native speakers). The experiment takes about 30 minutes - participants have to complete 4 reading and 1 listening task.

I have been trying to find native speakers of British English for 5 months now and so far I have only found two I can't believe there are no Brits in Freiburg! The only prerequisite is that they must be 20 - 30 years old.

I would really appreciate any tips on where they are all hiding :-)

Thanks in advance,
Anne-Julie
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

tsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nicetsveti is just really nice
Default Re: Looking for Brits in Freiburg/Breisgau

20-30 yrs old? what profession shall they have to move to germany so young? and Freiburg? good university for the locals, but a very small town and very limited job opportunities. there are many americans and some brits at the Freie Universität Berlin (you say native english speakers, but don't define whether it matters - american/british english).
guess all you need to have done could be done without necessarily being physically presented in Freiburg? i would contact the students' union of the Freie Universität if it doesn't work, just write to the students' union of some british university, am sure they would be glad to help.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Hi Tsveti,

I don't care about profession, I'm assuming that at that age most will be students. I know there are many Brits here with ERASMUS, I've e-mailed them, but non have replied. And I'm only looking for native speakers of British English (I imagine it would be hard to find a Brit whose native language is American English), as I have recorded 10 Americans already. Unfortunately they have to be in Freiburg for the listening experiment. Alternatively, Tübingen would work as well, as I'm planning on visiting the university there to record more Germans.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anne-julie
Hi Tsveti,

I don't care about profession, I'm assuming that at that age most will be students. I know there are many Brits here with ERASMUS, I've e-mailed them, but non have replied. And I'm only looking for native speakers of British English (I imagine it would be hard to find a Brit whose native language is American English), as I have recorded 10 Americans already. Unfortunately they have to be in Freiburg for the listening experiment. Alternatively, Tübingen would work as well, as I'm planning on visiting the university there to record more Germans.
Have you checked out the Fraunhofer Institut fuer Physikalische Messtechink?

There used to be several Brit students working here back in my day.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:24 am
Just Joined

I only tried Fraunhofer IAF where I work. It might be worth contacting the other institutes. Thanks for the tip!
Old Jun 5th 2011, 3:06 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anne-julie
I only tried Fraunhofer IAF where I work. It might be worth contacting the other institutes. Thanks for the tip!
Other places to look might be in O'Kellys near the theatre and The Isle of Innisfree on Augustinierplatz.

That's my kind of research venue.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

road2knowwhere is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I lived in Freiburg in 1997-99 - slightly older than 30 but am a fluent German speaking Brit if that helps you in any way

Great forum btw!