Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Health insurance troubles!

Health insurance troubles!

Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance troubles!

Life is complex enough without reading incorrect info here ! In the UKofGB&Ni the NHS is free. That does not mean other health systems within the EU provide free health care. Even within the UK, there are differences in what you get from the NHS in the different jurisdictions.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kidja
Under EU Legislation if you receive a State Pension from one country and you go to live in another EU country, with Form S1 you are entitled to free State Health care as provided to nationals of that country living in that country, if any. In Ireland you MAY be entitled to a medical card but that is means tested as it is for Irish nationals living in Ireland and if your income is above the threshold you will not get one. In Switzerland there is no State health care therefore even with Form S1 you have to pay for everything. In France the States pays 70% of the health care costs and this is what the UK government would pay for a British national living in France. What I would like to know is what, if anything, does the German government pay for in terms of health care for their nationals living in Germany as this is what we would be entitled to if we moved to Germany. The International Pensions Office in Newcastle could not tell me this.
Kidja, again it's not means tested here in Ireland if you receive a UK State Pension. In Germany you will have to go to a Krankenversicherung in Germany. First of all you will have to to submit the S1 form to the new health provider in Germany. You basically transfer your health care rights to the new Versicherung in Germany that are covered through your UK contributions.

Wie können Sie sich als ausländischer Rentner aus dem Bereich der EU in Deutschland in einer gesetzlichen Krankenversicherung versichern?Als ausländischer Rentner, der in Deutschland sesshaft werden möchte, können Sie sich in einer deutschen gesetzlichen Krankenversicherung versichern. Sind Sie in Ihrem Herkunftsland in einer Krankenversicherung versichert, können Sie dort das Formular S1 beantragen, das Sie bei einer deutschen gesetzlichen Krankenkasse Ihrer Wahl einreichen. Damit erhalten Sie alle in Deutschland üblichen Leistungen. Sie melden Sie bei der gesetzlichen Krankenkasse in Ihrem Heimatland ab, kündigen diese aber nicht. Die Bescheinigung S1 legen Sie der deutschen gesetzlichen Krankenkasse Ihrer Wahl vor. Die Zweitausfertigung, die Sie bestätigt zurückerhalten, schicken Sie an die Krankenkasse in Ihrem Heimatland. Die Krankenkasse Ihres Herkunftslandes übergibt die Beiträge an die gewählte gesetzliche Krankenkasse in Deutschland. Sie werden hier bei der gesetzlichen Krankenkasse so behandelt, wie jeder andere deutsche Bürger.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Life is complex enough without reading incorrect info here ! In the UKofGB&Ni the NHS is free. That does not mean other health systems within the EU provide free health care. Even within the UK, there are differences in what you get from the NHS in the different jurisdictions.
Complex, but you can make it even more complicated if you don't want to use the services available. If you receive a full UK State pension, you have certain rights because you've paid taxes (contributions to the NHS).

What would be the point of paying all your life if you aren't covered in countries that have an agreement with the UK. Freedom of movement wouldn't make much sense for pensioners then.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

To make it even more simple:

EU rules:As a pensioner, you are entitled to medical treatment in the country where you reside, in accordance with the legislation of that country.The cost of the medical treatment is always borne by the country which pays the pension.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

But the patient may have to make a contribution ! People assume that they will get NHS-type, free treatment in the other 27 member states. They will not. They should know that before uprooting themselves and going to live in one of those 27 jurisdictions.
Moses seems determined to abuse his Prophet's handle by posting misleading and confusing information. K.I.S.S.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But the patient may have to make a contribution ! People assume that they will get NHS-type, free treatment in the other 27 member states. They will not. They should know that before uprooting themselves and going to live in one of those 27 jurisdictions.Moses seems determined to abuse his Prophet's handle by posting misleading and confusing information. K.I.S.S.
Not really and again I've always advised people to make sure that they ring their health provider in the country they are coming from, but why can't you accept that people have more rights than you assumed.

Service that are covered by the NHS in the UK are also covered here if you do it right. Unfortunately even people from the Pension Centre don't have a clue.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Kidja is an unknown quantity at this point

OK I have contacted the HSE in Ireland and asked the question and received the following response:-
"Medical Cards are generally means tested, however, some people will qualify under EU Regulations. You would qualify under EU Regulations because you are in receipt of an EU Social Security Pension.
Because your pension is from the UK, you actually don't need to produce an S1, proof of your pension from the UK is sufficient evidence of your entitlement to health care in Ireland.
You will be entitled to a medical card in Ireland. "

So Moses2013 looks like you were correct for Ireland! True that the Pension Office in Newcastle doesn't have a clue. I have also asked the relevant authorities in Germany to clarify exactly what would be covered and will post on here when I receive a reply.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 2:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kidja
OK I have contacted the HSE in Ireland and asked the question and received the following response:- "Medical Cards are generally means tested, however, some people will qualify under EU Regulations. You would qualify under EU Regulations because you are in receipt of an EU Social Security Pension. Because your pension is from the UK, you actually don't need to produce an S1, proof of your pension from the UK is sufficient evidence of your entitlement to health care in Ireland. You will be entitled to a medical card in Ireland. " So Moses2013 looks like you were correct for Ireland! True that the Pension Office in Newcastle doesn't have a clue. I have also asked the relevant authorities in Germany to clarify exactly what would be covered and will post on here when I receive a reply.
That's great Kidja and I'm glad you confirmed it here. I'm not getting a 6 figure salary, but I can read some legal stuff I did think that you would have to fill out at least the S1 form, but that's even easier.

The problem I see is that you often ring a Pension Office and they have no training at all, or can't be bothered to investigate when they earn £9.50 the hour. If it's your right, it's your right and that's why the EU is great in a way. If you have any questions about Ireland, feel free to ask.
Old Mar 11th 2016, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

johndean is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if it hekps, but you can contact Placidway, a medical tourism company..they can help you, advice and find suitable treatment according to your needs and funding
Old Mar 11th 2016, 2:32 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johndean
I don't know if it hekps, but you can contact Placidway, a medical tourism company..they can help you, advice and find suitable treatment according to your needs and funding
Why would you need that, the people posting are NOT tourists, they are residents, and need information to help them, and not have to pay some mickey mouse company to do it when the advice on here is free, and from people who have gone that route.