Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Is Germany making a big mistake?

Is Germany making a big mistake?

Old Sep 14th 2015, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Germany making a big mistake?

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It's tragic how many people are fleeing Syria, but are German politicians just being too optimistic here? Of course Germany can help, but because of media, laws and a few stupid politicians, they all think Germany is the land of hope. These people will not receive much more money in Germany (compared to other countries in the EU) and unfortunately many will never find a job. What are your thoughts?
IMO Germany is making a big mistake, and so is the rest of Europe. How many of the people fleeing are IS sympathisers or recruitment agents? I can not imagine that IS will be sitting doing nothing and letting this opportunity slip by!

What to do though, IMO the best solution would be properly funded refugee camps in the neighbouring countries set up, policed and funded by the international community, including the oil rich ME countries who have been a bit too quiet over this and then the same international community will have to bang heads together and get the problem sorted.

Our PM (V. Orban) made the (paraphrased) statement - multi-nationalism, yes multi-culturalism No. That has got it about right.

As another thought - Imagine what would happen in the UK if it took 20,000 from the flood entering Europe now. First each individual claims refugee status, so there is a hearing, funded by legal aid for the would be refugee, then any found not to be a refugee would have the right to endless appeals ending up is the European Court of Human Rights all funded by legal aid. The cost would be horrific. That is why I think the choice for the UK is to select (cherry pick?) refugees from the refugee camps in Lebanon.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

ALFIE15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I live in Italy now ( sorry for hijacking your forum just looking around) the problem Germany made was putting out all immigrants welcome.
I served two tours of Bosnia in the Balkan wars and remember thinking one night if only the women children and vulnerable could be protected and let the other idiots kill each other. My point I feel for the children families and vulnerable caught up in the war with ISIS and they deserve help.
However there are many immigrants spoiling it by moving for money reasons and this has made it very difficult.
I spoke to an immigrant outside Lidl in Italy from Nigeria who wanted my euro from my trolley. I asked him want his intention was to which he replied go to Germany. When asked why he said he can get more money from working in Germany and a better a quality of life than in Nigeria. When asked who was going to help his country to get better if they all left he said I don't care give me your euro for food.
Sadly I refused as I have watched him before take the euros he collected and go into the store and buy cheap beer .
Old Sep 25th 2015, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Germany is known for its extraordinary bad politicians. It was bound to happen but after Merkel opened the gates reality is settling in with cities and counties being unable to find apartments for all the refugees. So the refugees are unhappy with their lot, getting aggressive with mass brawls happening. Pressure is mounting and cities and Council started to get creative and disappropiated apartments and buildings. But one mayor takes the biscuit : He gave notice to the German tenants of apartments owned by the city to make space for refugees. Unbelievable. That will promote love and respect between the population groups.
Old Sep 25th 2015, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Which mayor in which city ? Sounds like a story from the Saloon Bar.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Nieheim in NRW. If you know German you can easily google it as it has been reported in major newspapers.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Like Bildzeitung ? Or NPD publications ? Give us a link. I found this -

Wohnungskündigung wegen Flüchtlingen : Bericht: Bürgermeister von Nieheim erhält Morddrohungen - Deutschland - FOCUS Online - Nachrichten

Death threats against the Burgermeister. Sounds like some of the posters here have political allies in North-Rhine Westphalia.

Last edited by scot47; Sep 26th 2015 at 10:10 am.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

No need to become rude! I am neither a right winger nor someone who utters or supports death threats ( if it was your intention to imply this I think this is very low on your part). I was just pointing out that kicking Germans out of their homes to make spaces for refugees is bad politics. If you can't see this than I can't help you.

Last edited by Assanah; Sep 26th 2015 at 10:23 am.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think we have not seen the whole story. One case of a house being re-allocated and you want to suggest that policy is now to house refugees instead of Germans. Who is being irresponsible Here ?

The reality is that Fascism and Xenophobia are real and present dangers in Germany and in Britain.
Old Sep 26th 2015, 11:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
The Nieheim story appears to be true; at least, it has been followed up (not simply re-reported) by a number of media sources. I have seen reports of a few similar cases, one involving a sports club near Osnabrück for example.

The Nieheim case really makes me wonder. Can a mayor really be that stupid? The long-standing tenant clearly doesn't benefit. It's bad PR for the mayor and his district (which incidentally is in a region with a very high proportion of empty properties). The refugees don't benefit – this kind of case stirs up animosity against them. It's bordering on ethnic cleansing. The only people who benefit are the anti-refugee lobby. Indeed, there have been reports of the neo-nazis (NPD) sending out fake letters to residents telling them that they will have to accommodate refugees, purely in order to stir up animosity.

The mayor of Nieheim may not be anti-refugee, but I wonder whether this is his way of protesting about being forced by authorities higher up to accommodate refugees in his district.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think we have not seen the whole story. One case of a house being re-allocated and you want to suggest that policy is now to house refugees instead of Germans. Who is being irresponsible Here ?

The reality is that Fascism and Xenophobia are real and present dangers in Germany and in Britain.
Yes, you dickhead, that is why I said that it is bad politics to kick out a working, tax paying German to house refugees. More of this and the situation will explode.
Old Sep 28th 2015, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gruess Dich, Betonkopf

I still say that we have not seen the whole story. I have had enough life experience not to believe what I read in tabloid newspapers.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europ...r-refugeesFrom my own experiences in Germany I would say that many Germans have compassion for refugees. The experiences of mass expulsion from Bohemia, Prussia, Pomerania and Silesia are not long in the past. There are still some with "brown sympathies" but not as many as the media would have us believe.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I think we have not seen the whole story. One case of a house being re-allocated and you want to suggest that policy is now to house refugees instead of Germans. Who is being irresponsible Here ? The reality is that Fascism and Xenophobia are real and present dangers in Germany and in Britain.
So are sleepwalking and denial but that's happening also.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, my very close German friend who I have know since I was 13 and lives in Stuttgart is a lovely lady does a lot for her community and even she say's it was wrong of Merkel to say "come your welcome" without thinking of knock on effect, lots of Germans of all ages need homes especially the young, jobs in certain areas are not widely available and also says the German infrastructure etc works so well as the population is low for the size of the country compared to say the UK, years ago she mentioned that in some areas they had problems with other migrants who did not and still do not integrate fully into German society.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Within living memory, Germany has dealt with the huge human catastrophes of the Expulsions from the East, with reconstruction, and then with the challenge of absorbing the GDR.
My impression is that have handled it - and at the same time made serious attempts to come to terms with the past.
There will be problems but they will deal with them. They are Teutons after all !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.