Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

German state pension and occupational pensions

German state pension and occupational pensions

Old May 13th 2013, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Figgerty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default German state pension and occupational pensions

How much is the German state pension and what are the contributions and entitlement. Do German workers also pay into a company pension scheme.

I am not planning on moving to Germany but am attempting to establish how well off other EU pensioners are compared to British pensioners.
Old May 14th 2013, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: German state pension and occupational pensions

This might be of help for worldwide comparisons.

http://conversation.which.co.uk/mone...parison-serps/

And something more specific for Germany.

http://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/G...state_pensions
Old May 14th 2013, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by aries

Thank you Aries, I will examine it at my leisure. We all think German pensioners are paid the most and get the best benefits. Certainly it seems that way when we meet them on holidays.
Old May 14th 2013, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Because I saw the state pension rates for other countries in Which? Conversation, I decided to try and find out the detail of others contributions and benefits as many were so much higher than in the UK.

Now your second link is clear on contributions 9.75% each by the employee and the employer but it does not state the maximum number of years contributions for a full pension or does this not matter. Perhaps there is no maximum as the amount in benefit depends on amount paid in.

"The benefits paid out are about 70% of the average net income you earned whilst working. The exact amount paid out depends on how much you put in and for how long. There are numerous other factors as well."

Example Figures
"As an example, assuming you work from the age of 25 to 65, with an average yearly salary of €50k, your monthly pension benefits will be about €800."

I thought €800 seemed very low and wondered if it was correct, what do you think?
Old May 14th 2013, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

hales is on a distinguished road

It is not only the cash you should consider. Here in Germany we get no free prescriptions, bus passes etc. We have only just started to get Winter Fuel Allowance.
Old May 15th 2013, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Because I saw the state pension rates for other countries in Which? Conversation, I decided to try and find out the detail of others contributions and benefits as many were so much higher than in the UK.

Now your second link is clear on contributions 9.75% each by the employee and the employer but it does not state the maximum number of years contributions for a full pension or does this not matter. Perhaps there is no maximum as the amount in benefit depends on amount paid in.

"The benefits paid out are about 70% of the average net income you earned whilst working. The exact amount paid out depends on how much you put in and for how long. There are numerous other factors as well."

Example Figures
"As an example, assuming you work from the age of 25 to 65, with an average yearly salary of €50k, your monthly pension benefits will be about €800."

I thought €800 seemed very low and wondered if it was correct, what do you think?
Old May 15th 2013, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hales
It is not only the cash you should consider. Here in Germany we get no free prescriptions, bus passes etc. We have only just started to get Winter Fuel Allowance.
I am not eligible for the state pension until 2019 but am already collecting my private pension due to ill health. I do not claim any benefits but receive £1,300 private pension per month, after tax. Unless the Gov't change the rules again, I shall be able to claim free prescriptions later this year, when I reach 60.

Thanks for your reply to my query. Are you able to supply information for any of the following, to give us some idea of their outgoings:
  1. I thought German pensioners got free holidays.
  2. How much fuel allowance, we get £200 per annum.
  3. Do German pay into their health service as we do and then get free treatment when they go to the doctor or hospital for treatment.
  4. What about housing costs, mortgage or rent.
  5. Cost of water, council or community charge.
  6. Energy costs (gas, elect, solid fuel).
  7. Do most Germans have cars or do they pay public transport costs.
  8. Does everybody watch free TV channels or is there a culture of pay TV.
Old May 15th 2013, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

hales is on a distinguished road

My German pension after working for 18 years on the German economy is 449.06euros a month. TV license is 53.94euros a quarter.
Old May 16th 2013, 12:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hales
My German pension after working for 18 years on the German economy is 449.06euros a month. TV license is 53.94euros a quarter.
Thank you for the insight.
You would receive £66.00 per week in the UK for 18 years NI contributions to the basic state pension. I'm not sure if it's paid monthly or 4 weekly. The TV licence is £145.50 for a colour and £45.00 for a B&W set, per year. We are encouraged to pay £12.12 monthly, by direct debit and the majority receiving our pension or salary monthly or 4 weekly pay most of our bills monthly.

My council tax is £1400 per year (payable in 10 instalments)
Water rates is £550 per year (payable in 10 instalments)
House buildings insurance and contents insurance is £530 per year

I have recently switched energy supplier from two original suppliers to one supplier and have not had a bill yet. I think it will be about £50-60 per month.