Reload this Page >

Dual nationality

Dual nationality

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Michelle1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual nationality

Hey everyone,

Somehow a weird family tree so trying to make it as understandable as possible.

My Mother was born in Germany in '58 after my grandparents, german grandmother and english grandfather, met and married after the war. She had then english nationality as per the laws then.

22 years later my mom met my father and they married. I was born in 1984 with the english nationailty. My father was also in the english army at that point in time. They split in 1990 while still in germany though my father had at that point left the army. At that point I had spent about 15 months in england and was 6.
In 1993 my mother applied for German Citizenship not only for herself but for me as well. Due to illness my father was at that point in England and despite the law saying at that time, don't know about now, he has to give consent before it could be awarded I was awarded dual nationality for Germany and the UK.
In 2002 just after my 18th birthday I left Germany with my father and have been living here in england ever since.
I became aware a couple months ago that I would have to give up one nationality at 21. I am nearly 26 now and had not known so inquired a bit.

Problem:
1. I do not have the paperwork which declares me a German citizen, my mother does and she won't give me it.

2. Due to not having had the permission of my father I have now been told it was against the law by the people here in england.

I only even found out because I am thinking about moving to the Netherlands and need a new passport declaring me a member of a European state. Researched it a bit when I got a joboffer which would have me move to Amsterdam.

Anyone has any idea what I can do?
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 4:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual nationality

Any idea? Perhaps the too-obvious suggestion would be to renew your British passport?

If you are a German citizen you don't have to "choose" one and if your mother won't release your citizenship papers, you should contact the German authorities with a view to obtaining a replacement. Assuming you really were naturalised as German back in 1993.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 12:08 am
Just Joined

Michelle1984 is an unknown quantity at this point

I came over here with a german passport xD

So yeah definetly have dual. Just ordered a new birth certificate as my old one is lost then get the English passport. My german one ran out in 2004 and honestly I am not interested in ever moving back there. As far as I am concerned I am english. I just don't want to get in trouble with the german authoritys. Certainly looks like I will be moving to Amsterdam soon so will go to hannover every couple months and visit my disabled older sister who also got the dual in 1993. Just a shame that I can't ask my mother about all this she would know. lol Though she is older then me she is disabled and my mother would have done it for her.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 1:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see how you would get into trouble with either country.

Do you have a British consular birth certificate as well as a German birth certificate?

After you get your British passport you should make a point of a. renewing your German passport, and b. getting a copy of your German citizenship papers if you are estranged from your mother and she will not release them.