British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Germany (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/)
-   -   Dresden (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/dresden-933407/)

scot47 Jun 25th 2020 12:02 pm

Dresden

Since my first visit in 1964 I have been interested in the events of Shrove Tuesday 1945. There is a new book which I have just listened to as an audiobook.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XSMQXT8/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0

scot47 Jul 4th 2020 7:42 am

Re: Dresden

Given my health and impending Brexit, with probable end of EHIC, I am resigned to the fact that I shall not see Germany again. i make do with books and films in German. "Hey-ho, so it goes," in the words of Kilgore Trout, a character created by Kurt Vonnegut. That great writer was in Dresden as a POW on Shrove Tuesday and witnessed the destruction of "The Florence on the Elbe". See "Slaughterhouse Five"

OrangeMango Feb 26th 2021 3:00 pm

The historic city of Dresden is now remarkably restored by now and also the main church has been rebuilt. It's a very nice place now. Communist architecture is still there, but it's a lot harder to find and to see.
Overall the city is very lovely.

scot47 Feb 27th 2021 6:25 am

I like the pedestrianised centre. I was one of those who chipped in with a small donation to rebuild the Frauenkirche. Mow more a spectacle for tourists than anything else. Since 1990. Dresden and the rest of Saxony has been colonised by Wessis. The locals see them as being a repeat of the colonisation by prussians after the Unification at the end of the 19th century. The area where Prussian
civil servants lives is till "Der Preussiche Viertel".

When I first visited in 1964 I did not realise how that visit would influence me in later years. Despite the propaganda and the Colkd War i could see some of the positive aspects of life in The GDR. "Trotz Alledem" !

scrubbedexpat077 Feb 27th 2021 7:38 am

I've never been to East Germany and, for some reason, I am scared to go there. I don't know, I must have heard horror stories, but, watching Tatort, I see it's a beautiful city and I have a crush on "Oberkommissarin Henni Sieland" and pretty much all Tatort female lead characters (no 1 is Eva Saalfeld).

scot47 Feb 27th 2021 9:00 am

Scared ? This baffles me. You have watched too many sensationilist "Krimis". And absorbed too many images invoving Stasi, The Wall and James Bond. Real Life is not like that !

scot47 Jul 11th 2021 7:19 pm

\i feel I will not get to Germany again. Sad Servus, adieu an meine zweite Heimat !

Assanah Jul 12th 2021 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 13028264)
\i feel I will not get to Germany again. Sad Servus, adieu an meine zweite Heimat !

Sorry scot47. I hope you get to come visit again. If not I am sure you left your mark visiting Germany, getting to know the people, finding friends. As we say "Niemals geht man so ganz".

scot47 Jul 22nd 2021 11:31 am

ccusative or dative / back to school scot47 !

Nand Jul 22nd 2021 4:01 pm

I'm so looking forward to being able to travel again, maybe in 2023! East Germany fascinates me, I want to see Bavaria and also that little Holstein bit on the top and the one to the east of that with all the health resorts on the east coast. I grew up with The ⛓Iron Curtain⛓ and The 🏢Berlin Wall🏢, which I always thought of as a block to exploring not as a safety net or a protective situation. So we are thinking of seeing the Blue Danube and some Bavarian Castles some day.

kimilseung Jul 22nd 2021 4:28 pm

I did visit the DDR back in the day. Staying in Lutherstadt Wittenberg, I didn't get to Dresden, spent a fair bit of time in Leipzig and Berlin/Potsdam, I regret I didn't make the extra effort to include Dresden. I hope to get back, as I am sure it will be unrecognizable now due to unification.