Dresden

Old Jun 25th 2020, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dresden

Since my first visit in 1964 I have been interested in the events of Shrove Tuesday 1945. There is a new book which I have just listened to as an audiobook.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07XSMQXT8/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0
Old Jul 4th 2020, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dresden

Given my health and impending Brexit, with probable end of EHIC, I am resigned to the fact that I shall not see Germany again. i make do with books and films in German. "Hey-ho, so it goes," in the words of Kilgore Trout, a character created by Kurt Vonnegut. That great writer was in Dresden as a POW on Shrove Tuesday and witnessed the destruction of "The Florence on the Elbe". See "Slaughterhouse Five"
Old Feb 26th 2021, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

The historic city of Dresden is now remarkably restored by now and also the main church has been rebuilt. It's a very nice place now. Communist architecture is still there, but it's a lot harder to find and to see.
Overall the city is very lovely.
Old Feb 27th 2021, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I like the pedestrianised centre. I was one of those who chipped in with a small donation to rebuild the Frauenkirche. Mow more a spectacle for tourists than anything else. Since 1990. Dresden and the rest of Saxony has been colonised by Wessis. The locals see them as being a repeat of the colonisation by prussians after the Unification at the end of the 19th century. The area where Prussian
civil servants lives is till "Der Preussiche Viertel".

When I first visited in 1964 I did not realise how that visit would influence me in later years. Despite the propaganda and the Colkd War i could see some of the positive aspects of life in The GDR. "Trotz Alledem" !
Old Feb 27th 2021, 7:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never been to East Germany and, for some reason, I am scared to go there. I don't know, I must have heard horror stories, but, watching Tatort, I see it's a beautiful city and I have a crush on "Oberkommissarin Henni Sieland" and pretty much all Tatort female lead characters (no 1 is Eva Saalfeld).
Old Feb 27th 2021, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Scared ? This baffles me. You have watched too many sensationilist "Krimis". And absorbed too many images invoving Stasi, The Wall and James Bond. Real Life is not like that !
Old Jul 11th 2021, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

\i feel I will not get to Germany again. Sad Servus, adieu an meine zweite Heimat !
Old Jul 12th 2021, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
\i feel I will not get to Germany again. Sad Servus, adieu an meine zweite Heimat !
Sorry scot47. I hope you get to come visit again. If not I am sure you left your mark visiting Germany, getting to know the people, finding friends. As we say "Niemals geht man so ganz".
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ccusative or dative / back to school scot47 !
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so looking forward to being able to travel again, maybe in 2023! East Germany fascinates me, I want to see Bavaria and also that little Holstein bit on the top and the one to the east of that with all the health resorts on the east coast. I grew up with The ⛓Iron Curtain⛓ and The 🏢Berlin Wall🏢, which I always thought of as a block to exploring not as a safety net or a protective situation. So we are thinking of seeing the Blue Danube and some Bavarian Castles some day.
Old Jul 22nd 2021, 4:28 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I did visit the DDR back in the day. Staying in Lutherstadt Wittenberg, I didn't get to Dresden, spent a fair bit of time in Leipzig and Berlin/Potsdam, I regret I didn't make the extra effort to include Dresden. I hope to get back, as I am sure it will be unrecognizable now due to unification.