Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Construction trades work in Germany?

Construction trades work in Germany?

Old Oct 25th 2018, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

iank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Construction trades work in Germany?

Hello all.
I am thinking of moving to Germany before Brexit removes the option. I work in Construction (metal trades - steel erecting/fitting/architectural metalwork etc) and have been doing so for 30 years now (46 years old).
I have lived and worked in other countries before (Australia, Sweden, Spain, Netherlands) so there isn't much of an issue with regard to going away to work. I am just interested to see if there is anybody on here involved in the construction trades and any advice from them would be gratefully received.

I am currently studying German in the evenings and have the language CD on in the car etc. Having worked in a few countries with language barriers, I have got over them with enough words because there isn't much need for a lot of dialogue on site. I will have enough to get me by, I hope.

I have an affection for Germany having been born there and then spending Summers seeing my father who lived there (Royal Engineers). I just want to have a go before I lose the chance to move.
I don't really have a lot going on with social and family life and splitting up with long-term partner this year, and friends moving away etc,
Thanks
Ian
Old Oct 26th 2018, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

enigma64 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Construction trades work in Germany?

Originally Posted by iank
Hello all.
I am thinking of moving to Germany before Brexit removes the option. I work in Construction (metal trades - steel erecting/fitting/architectural metalwork etc) and have been doing so for 30 years now (46 years old).
I have lived and worked in other countries before (Australia, Sweden, Spain, Netherlands) so there isn't much of an issue with regard to going away to work. I am just interested to see if there is anybody on here involved in the construction trades and any advice from them would be gratefully received.

I am currently studying German in the evenings and have the language CD on in the car etc. Having worked in a few countries with language barriers, I have got over them with enough words because there isn't much need for a lot of dialogue on site. I will have enough to get me by, I hope.

I have an affection for Germany having been born there and then spending Summers seeing my father who lived there (Royal Engineers). I just want to have a go before I lose the chance to move.
I don't really have a lot going on with social and family life and splitting up with long-term partner this year, and friends moving away etc,
Thanks
Ian
Hello Ian can't give you any advice but i would say a move to Germany would be good if that's were your heart is. I first went in 1985 to see and ask what the War was really all about much to my father's dismay ''What do you want to go to Germany for'' he had seen the bombing as a kid growing up in Liverpool he did his weapons training in Germany before he was shipped to Korea. I envy you being able to live your dream i have been looking at property for sale in the Mosel region as i would like to flit and start a new life their much more organised than the UK and the wine and beer is good lol. I hope you get an answer to your questions although a lot of white collar workers on here so getting your hands dirty work maybe lacking in answers if you see what i mean. Good luck let me no what way you go i'll do the same if i decide although her indoors wants to go to spain....regards Carl
Old Oct 27th 2018, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Construction trades work in Germany?

I thought as much Carl. There are definitely less British people involved in the trades these days.
Thanks for your words of encouragement - I just need to get out there and do it.
Wish me luck
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Do not expect it to be like this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auf_Wiedersehen,_Pet

I am a Germanophile and have lived, visited, worked and studied in what was West Berlin and the GDR.. Germans can be difficult to befriend but persevere. I do not want to say "Some of my best friends are Germans", but there is truth in that. Learn German - escape from the stereotypes that dominate many Brits thoughts about Germany.
Old Nov 3rd 2018, 9:47 am
Just Joined

I am not expecting anything like that mate.
Please don't try and insinuate that I will behave like that just because I am in the trades. I thought that in my opening post I stated that I have an affection and respect for Germany.
I already have had a bit of interest from a few metalwork companies in Berlin, and may have interviews later this month
Thanks for your reply anyway
Old Nov 4th 2018, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not expecting anything like that mate.
Please don't try and insinuate that I will behave like that just because I am in the trades. I thought that in my opening post I stated that I have an affection and respect for Germany.
I already have had a bit of interest from a few metalwork companies in Berlin, and may have interviews later this month
Thanks for your reply anyway

You should not have a problem finding work in Germany at this time. I have just spent 6 months in Austria and Germany. Both countries are looking for skilled labour. I know you are focussed on Germany, but why not see what Austria offers? Imho Austria offers better conditions. Language is the same.

Last edited by Rosemary; Nov 4th 2018 at 8:12 am. Reason: corrected quote
Old Nov 5th 2018, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ian,

This might be a bit late but here goes.... I worked in Industry in Germany as a "Maschinenschlosser" (sort of what you might call a toolmaker in English) for several years in the mid 1980s but only managed to get in via the dad of my German girlfriend at the time who used a bit of his influence in the company to get me the opening. If my experience from that time is anything to go by you absolutely will need to have some German language skills as only one other person in the factory where I worked spoke any English - my own German is what I would call "Advanced Pidgin" which means I can hold a reasonable conversation in most subjects but still make lots of grammatical mistakes and am missing quite a lot of vocabulary.

Previously to working in Industry I did hotel work which was crap but gave me a start at least and also got me started with the language.

I'm a sparky by trade but back then I couldn't get an opening in the trade and I don't imagine things will have changed much today. The language is critical in my opinion.

I would second the comment above given by Thairetired2016 to try Austria as an alternative as I personally find the Austrians to be a bit more 'gemütlich' than the Germans although I couldn't offer any advice on the availability of work in Austria. Language requirements for work in Austria I should think would be exactly the same as for Germany...

Last edited by Jake.White; Feb 3rd 2019 at 10:52 am.