Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

birth certificate

birth certificate

Old Nov 25th 2015, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

seahorse22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question birth certificate

my son's father was born in Hamburg, Germany, in 1955 from a british army soldier based in Hamburg, in Germany anyway. I need my, now deceased, partner's birth certificate to prove that he was british so that my son can apply for british citizanship. My son is italian, like me, because he was born in 1993 when children born from a couple not married, had to take their mother's citizanship. I am not sure who to approach. I have spent hours today searching the web and maybe I should get in contact with the Genarsl Registar Office?
If anyone could help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: birth certificate

General Register Office is the place. Everything is there. I dealt with the one in Edinburgh by phone and they were very helpful. In your case I would imagine it will be the London Office. If you know full name and date of birth it should be easy.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

thanks. I did and today I received it.!!!!!
Old Nov 27th 2015, 6:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The GRO should have given your son's father's military birth certificate.

If you never married then your son will need to be registered as a British citizen.

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...british-father

Sounds like you have it all under control however.
Old Nov 27th 2015, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your advice. I have received both my ex-partner and his dad's birth certificate and I am helping my son to fill in the 'ukf' form to apply for British citizenship. However we have another problem : they want his father's passport and because he passed away 15 years ago I don't have it. So I called the passport office in London but they say they can't give out passport numbers....All I want it is some legal document to confirm that he had a British passport...Surely he must be registered somewhere as a British citizen....
Any idea how to overcome this issue?

Kind regards
Old Nov 28th 2015, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Contact the British Legion ?
Old Nov 28th 2015, 9:06 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seahorse22
Thanks for your advice. I have received both my ex-partner and his dad's birth certificate and I am helping my son to fill in the 'ukf' form to apply for British citizenship. However we have another problem : they want his father's passport and because he passed away 15 years ago I don't have it. So I called the passport office in London but they say they can't give out passport numbers....All I want it is some legal document to confirm that he had a British passport...Surely he must be registered somewhere as a British citizen....
Any idea how to overcome this issue?

Kind regards
Originally Posted by scot47
Contact the British Legion ?
It's not strictly necessary for the application if his father has passed away but if you do want his last passport number then your son should apply to HMPO's Disclosure of Information office in Peterborough. He can make a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act on behalf of his father. Just write a letter explaining the situation and what he needs and why. You'll need to enclose his father's original death certificate and his birth certificate showing that he is the next of kin but these will be returned. The cost is £10.

The address is:

Disclosure of Information
HM Passport Office
Aragon Court
Northminster
PETERBOROUGH
PE1 1QG
Old Nov 28th 2015, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

thak you, thank you, thank you...you are a bag of informations.

'Grazie' again in italian!!

WILL LET YOU KNOW IF IT WORKS OUT, if it's alright with you.
Old Nov 28th 2015, 3:10 pm

Be very happy to know if it goes well. The £10 is payable by cheque or postal order or if you give your telephone number they can ring you and take payment by credit/debit card over the phone.