Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

wood burning stoves

wood burning stoves

Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:16 am
Just Joined

dwrenched is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wood burning stoves

We've been living near Parcay-les-Pins for three months now. Before next winter we'll want to replace our open fire (impressive but eats forests to very little effect) with a wood burner, and possibly install another, or an insert, in the kitchen area. We think the chimney's are OK. We'd be grateful for even the roughest estimates of the all-in cost of installation, including buying the stoves, from anyone in France who'se had it done recently. An earlier thread suggested that Jotul stoves were the best; is that the general impression?

Thanks in advance,

David
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

asj968 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: wood burning stoves

Hi

I installed my own. I bought the wood burner off the net from Villager Stoves. It cost around £350. Then I bought the pipework from a local Bricomarche - I don't remember how much that was. The hardest part was pushing the pipework up the chimney. It's ok when it is just a couple of pieces but when you get to 5 it gets pretty heavy.

Anyway see the result (immediately after it was done in 2004) @

http://crennes.com/october%202004.html
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dwrenched
We've been living near Parcay-les-Pins for three months now. Before next winter we'll want to replace our open fire (impressive but eats forests to very little effect) with a wood burner, and possibly install another, or an insert, in the kitchen area. We think the chimney's are OK. We'd be grateful for even the roughest estimates of the all-in cost of installation, including buying the stoves, from anyone in France who'se had it done recently. An earlier thread suggested that Jotul stoves were the best; is that the general impression?

Thanks in advance,

David
I am a Jotul installer and I can confirm that they are probably the best buy - although they don't come cheap! There is another make which comes from Alsace in France which aren't bad either but for the life of me I can't remember the damn name - tho I can get back to you.

I installed my own. I bought the wood burner off the net from Villager Stoves. It cost around £350. Then I bought the pipework from a local Bricomarche - I don't remember how much that was. The hardest part was pushing the pipework up the chimney. It's ok when it is just a couple of pieces but when you get to 5 it gets pretty heavy.
Although there is no law against installing a stove or chimney in France I wouldn't advise anybody to do it by themselves if they aren't qualified for the job. There are lots of rules to follow to do the job properly, and when you say you bought your tubing from whacko-brico I very much doubt that its very much good. Although, as I say anybody can do it if they feel competent, but if there was a fire in your house no insurance would cover your work. With a qualified installer you could be eligable for the VAT at 5,50% and with the work comes a 10 year garantee.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

I guess I'll keep quiet then. Ignore me.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asj968
Did somebody say something?!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 5:13 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by le plumber
I am a Jotul installer and I will rule the Universe without mercy
In Norweigan as well I bet.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:11 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the picture and thought it looked lovely. Maybe it's possible if what le Plumber says has worried you, to get it checked out by a professional? We did all our own central heating installation in our last French house, and when it was finished, a bloke came from the gas board equivalent, checked the silver soldering etc, ran it a bit and gave us a certificate of approval - pas de probleme!

Have heard that Godin are good stoves - think ours in our place we are buying at the moment is a Godin.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

It's ok - I have a french friend I have known for years who is in the business and he checked out the installation and said it was fine. He also checks over my electical work for me when i do it (He owns an electrical / plumbing / heating business).
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:42 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

when I installed a wood burner (a nice little 1950s mini thing but that leaked!) I used a lot of pipes, a lot of bends and it went up the outside of the house all like a crookedy cottage. It was so badly done that when it was cold it drew air from outside and shoved it through the stove into the house! A joy in the morning! and as for insurance - I had to move the pipe because it rubbed on a beam and caught the floorboards alight.

the second one i installed (a petit godin) it caught the chimney alight. What a laugh that was.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:44 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by treskillard
when I installed a wood burner (a nice little 1950s mini thing but that leaked!) I used a lot of pipes, a lot of bends and it went up the outside of the house all like a crookedy cottage. It was so badly done that when it was cold it drew air from outside and shoved it through the stove into the house! A joy in the morning! and as for insurance - I had to move the pipe because it rubbed on a beam and caught the floorboards alight.

the second one i installed (a petit godin) it caught the chimney alight. What a laugh that was.
DIY not yer strong point mate?
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 6:49 pm
down under where

Originally Posted by Cleri
DIY not yer strong point mate?
ask the three incomplete restorations I lived in and the woman who tried to live there with me - second thoughts - they'd lie and say I was rubbish.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Cheer up asj968 I wasn't giving you a bollocking and I certainly was't trying to scare you

ask the three incomplete restorations I lived in and the woman who tried to live there with me - second thoughts - they'd lie and say I was rubbish.
You aren't my brother inlaw are you??
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 7:43 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

I find your crookedy bends quite endearing
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 8:16 pm
Correze, The Limousin

Chris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dwrenched

Thanks in advance,

David
Like you, we had an open fire when we arrived in France a couple of years ago, which got through metre-length logs like there was no tomorrow.

We installed a Jotul F600 wood burning stove, and it has been brilliant! So I can highly recommend them, despite the price.

Chris
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 8:27 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh sweetie, I'm sure your "strengths" lie in other areas and at least you had a go! Most admirable.

You could have renamed your stoves "house burning stoves".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.