Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

wood burning stove and tax

wood burning stove and tax

Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all
Default wood burning stove and tax

I have signed a Devis for a wood burning stove to be installed while I am away in Scotland for a few months.

I have signed the the necessary forms in order to claim the 5.5% TVA

What about the 40% "grant" which I understand is available to the end of 2010

Am I correct to assume that I won't qualify since I don't pay any Income tax in France- (If that's what they mean by impots) .

I do not qualify as a French resident,as I don't stay in France for three months at a time because I am not yet 65 which being male means I would have to find my own health cover.

Would there be any merit in paying income tax in France in order to claim the 40% grant.

We do run a Chambre d'hote when we are in France, but only pay the Tourist tax as the income is not big and we only have 2 rooms at the moment, but could have an extra three next year.

Our pensions and other income are taxed in the UK and up to now we have spent most of our time in Scotland.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 10:10 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: wood burning stove and tax

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac
I have signed a Devis for a wood burning stove to be installed while I am away in Scotland for a few months.

I have signed the the necessary forms in order to claim the 5.5% TVA

What about the 40% "grant" which I understand is available to the end of 2010

Am I correct to assume that I won't qualify since I don't pay any Income tax in France- (If that's what they mean by impots) .

I do not qualify as a French resident,as I don't stay in France for three months at a time because I am not yet 65 which being male means I would have to find my own health cover.

Would there be any merit in paying income tax in France in order to claim the 40% grant.

We do run a Chambre d'hote when we are in France, but only pay the Tourist tax as the income is not big and we only have 2 rooms at the moment, but could have an extra three next year.

Our pensions and other income are taxed in the UK and up to now we have spent most of our time in Scotland.
If it's a stand alone stove that didnt cost that much, then probably not worth the hassle. If it's central heating and new rads etc well that another ball park.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

somewhere between the two 2700 euros
Old Sep 29th 2010, 9:22 am
Correze, The Limousin

Chris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond repute

We are French taxpayers, llivng here permanently. We've been here nearly 4 years. In the first year we had a stand-alone woodburner installed (a Jotul, so not cheap). We qualified for a 50% tax grant on that, and last year we installed an Esse woodburning range (again, not cheap), and qualified for 40% grant on that. So the tax-"refund" resulted in us not having to pay any tax at all for those two years, in fact we had some money back, consequently it was well worth it for us. I gather, though, that the grant is reducing to 25%...

Chris