Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Women drivers to pay in 2012

Women drivers to pay in 2012

Old Dec 8th 2011, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Women drivers to pay in 2012

I didn't realize that traditionally in France women pay less for car insurance because according to the insurance companies they have less accidents.
(O.K. guys, we know, we know)........

The European court is now stepping in to put a stop to this sex-related price discrimination, stating that from Dec 2012, tariffs are to be brought into line. (On TF1 midday news, they stated that the tariff increase is to be expected as early as mid 2012). This is also expected to be read-across to retirement assurance benefits, health and life assurance.
Link HERE

What with the further increase in the price of gas early in 2012 (estimated at around +5%), this again will increase the hardships to those already on a tight budget.
That plus current extreme difficulties in the economy and real uncertainties on the future of the euro makes crystal-ball gazing a very doubtful pastime.

Oh, and I see that there will be an Indonesian singer singing for France in the next Eurovision song contest - well they have to do something drastic as they haven't won for over 30 years! Good news though guys; she's a stunning looker - and sings well too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Anggun.jpg
Old Dec 9th 2011, 9:08 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Women drivers to pay in 2012

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I didn't realize that traditionally in France women pay less for car insurance because according to the insurance companies they have less accidents.
(O.K. guys, we know, we know)........

The European court is now stepping in to put a stop to this sex-related price discrimination, stating that from Dec 2012, tariffs are to be brought into line. (On TF1 midday news, they stated that the tariff increase is to be expected as early as mid 2012). This is also expected to be read-across to retirement assurance benefits, health and life assurance.
Link HERE

What with the further increase in the price of gas early in 2012 (estimated at around +5%), this again will increase the hardships to those already on a tight budget.
That plus current extreme difficulties in the economy and real uncertainties on the future of the euro makes crystal-ball gazing a very doubtful pastime.

Oh, and I see that there will be an Indonesian singer singing for France in the next Eurovision song contest - well they have to do something drastic as they haven't won for over 30 years! Good news though guys; she's a stunning looker - and sings well too.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Anggun.jpg
Interesting post Tweedpipe, was not aware. Have just switched my car insurance to save around €40. I am assuming there is a loading for the type of car (no interest in assumed value it seems as it is in UK), e.g. a C3 to Merc. My wife is insured on her car with me as named 2nd driver and vice-versa on mine. If we had insured both cars with my wife as lead driver would we have saved under current structure.
I was once advised it is the car that is insured, not the driver, so anyone who is legal can drive it. Was that wrong?
Old Dec 9th 2011, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

I understood the same thing. I have allowed even young legally licensed relatives to drive it.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 4:08 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Having discussed this matter with friends today, a comment was made that the level of insurance premium levied is based on commercial risk and the factors that influence that risk. If women are less prone to accident than male drivers, in France, for the sake of this thread, then their premium is lower, based on the lower commercial risk. To take it a tad further, I recall in the UK, that publicans were considered a high risk and insurance was levied accordingly (also I am told were jockeys!). So, occupations are a factor, eg a salesman/woman, who spends hours on the road. That is surely a higher commercial risk. The counter to that may be that an HGV driver may be considered a lower risk because of the speed limiter on their tractor unit. So, I do not see where sexism or equality comes into it.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Sexism and equality absolutely come into it because the daft EU say differentials based on gender are illegal, even when there are perfectly valid reasons for it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2011/m...gender-bonkers

This action was brought by some twopenny ha'penny Belgian consumer group who clearly hadn't thought it through too well but that's Belgians for you !

A further, more potentially serious side effect, is that annuity providers can no longer give different pensions to men and women despite clear and unequivocal statistically evidence that women live longer. lt will come as no surprise though that rather than increase annuities for men they will reduce them for women so everybody loses - except the insurance company - but what's new there !
Old Dec 9th 2011, 7:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
lt will come as no surprise though that rather than increase annuities for men they will reduce them for women so everybody loses - except the insurance company - but what's new there !
Shouldn't they just pay everyone the average? (Or is that too much to expect?).
Old Dec 9th 2011, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Sexism and equality absolutely come into it because the daft EU say differentials based on gender are illegal, even when there are perfectly valid reasons for it.

This action was brought by some twopenny ha'penny Belgian consumer group who clearly hadn't thought it through too well but that's Belgians for you !

A further, more potentially serious side effect, is that annuity providers can no longer give different pensions to men and women despite clear and unequivocal statistically evidence that women live longer. lt will come as no surprise though that rather than increase annuities for men they will reduce them for women so everybody loses - except the insurance company - but what's new there !
Good post Er_and_Im! (Now there's sex equality for you....)
Old Dec 10th 2011, 7:40 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

WOW! Just read the Guardian article. Grey cells reeling from trying to understand the thinking. Forgotten about the boy-racer factor. So, they cannot be discriminated against based on their gender. There do appear to be some get out of jail interpretations that could be followed to leave the status quo, but I guess insurers will look at the potential bottom line as a business and act accordingly. And, I liked the reference to male access to maternity services.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cjm
Having discussed this matter with friends today, a comment was made that the level of insurance premium levied is based on commercial risk and the factors that influence that risk. If women are less prone to accident than male drivers, in France, for the sake of this thread, then their premium is lower, based on the lower commercial risk. To take it a tad further, I recall in the UK, that publicans were considered a high risk and insurance was levied accordingly (also I am told were jockeys!). So, occupations are a factor, eg a salesman/woman, who spends hours on the road. That is surely a higher commercial risk. The counter to that may be that an HGV driver may be considered a lower risk because of the speed limiter on their tractor unit. So, I do not see where sexism or equality comes into it.
Wouldn't jockeys be a low risk due to their height - less to get damaged.......
Old Dec 10th 2011, 4:47 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Wouldn't jockeys be a low risk due to their height - less to get damaged.......
No, it's 'cos they come up on the inside and jump the lights!