Winter

Old Oct 2nd 2013, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Winter

Loy loy, If I remember, I will post at the end of the winter if my usage has gone down as much as I hope it will. But I do have two large woodburners in the lounge and in the salon, and another in the diningroom.
I was going to pipe the heating through, but got caught out by the archetypal crooked British builder. So I am not sure it could be done now. (The house was small farmhouse, then extended, then rebuilt, then partially reskinned! Some walls are two metres thick. and two of the chimneys run through the middle of that.
Oh why did I not pay attention during woodwork classes etc?
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Super thanks.

We had some one round to quote us for a burner in our front room. But the quote never arrived. He wanted to go down the pellet burner route but we don't have the space for the hopper.

Funnily enough, the quote for our bedroom windows hasn't arrived some 4 weeks later either :-D
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:35 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I refer you to the fable by La Fontaine "La Cigale et la Fourmi"

http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue209/cigale.html
Oh please don't! I detest Jean de la Fontaine....as does every parent of a school aged child in France no doubt? As the patents get older they all nod in a sage "I hate this bugger, but know that I shouldn't" fashion....but believe me they ALL hate him!

Last edited by MillieF; Oct 5th 2013 at 2:35 am. Reason: Missed comma
Old Oct 5th 2013, 3:00 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Oh please don't! I detest Jean de la Fontaine....as does every parent of a school aged child in France no doubt? As the patents get older they all nod in a sage "I hate this bugger, but know that I shouldn't" fashion....but believe me they ALL hate him!
Just for you Millie...

http://poesie.webnet.fr/lesgrandscla...le_renard.html
Old Oct 5th 2013, 7:24 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

This is a bit of a sweeping statement!
With all due respect, I've never come across any French person who detests JdlF Most are probably indifferent to his fables. What they might hate is the memory of having been obliged to learn them by heart in Primaire...
But let's get back on-topic! Autumn seems to be back with a vengeance in the Languedoc, with storms and torrential rain and drop in temperature. Nearly time to start thinking about lighting a fire of an evening....
Old Oct 5th 2013, 8:04 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Those first few fires are a delight.

Almost as much as the January ones are a chore!
Old Oct 5th 2013, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
This is a bit of a sweeping statement!
With all due respect, I've never come across any French person who detests JdlF Most are probably indifferent to his fables. What they might hate is the memory of having been obliged to learn them by heart in Primaire...
But let's get back on-topic! Autumn seems to be back with a vengeance in the Languedoc, with storms and torrential rain and drop in temperature. Nearly time to start thinking about lighting a fire of an evening....
If she detests him then she detests him
Probably moved to Canada just to get away from him
Old Oct 5th 2013, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

MillieF,
Not only les canards sont gavés, but it sounds like you too were forced fed...... on Les Fables de la Fontaine.
Must disagree with your above sweeping statement. Indeed those fables must be one of the most beloved tales in the classic French literature, by children and now their parents alike. Mme TP just adores them, especially 'La Cigale et la Fourmi', always has done.
Now just forget that school you went to, and the verbal funnels they used to choke you, sit back and enjoy what's it's really all about.
La Cigale et la Fourmie (a la Walt Disney).

And to get back on track to the subject 'Winter', I hope you haven't played and danced too much this summer, and have stored up with adequate quantities of foie gras.......
Old Oct 5th 2013, 11:04 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grannybunz

Yes is can get extremely cold here in the Luberon, especially when the Mistral blows but the thing that makes living here so much better for us than it was in NE England is the light and knowing that if there are a couple of grey days the sun will soon be out and there are never endless days/weeks of what my mother used to call "non-weather"
Apologies. I didn't mean to go off topic! A brief Flutter at Fontaine.

There are a few bleak places, no doubts in France, but yes I have always found that it is somehow lighter and brighter than generally in the UK, that all encompassing grey is not quite so dreadful. You get a couple of really chilly weeks and then it's all onwards and upwards towards spring.

I had a couple of friends who had pellet stoves, but I don't think you can beat a 'proper' wood burner. Wood is so cheap and plentiful and brings such a delightful warmth, it's just not the same sort of warmth as central heating.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Apologies. I didn't mean to go off topic! A brief Flutter at Fontaine.

There are a few bleak places, no doubts in France, but yes I have always found that it is somehow lighter and brighter than generally in the UK, that all encompassing grey is not quite so dreadful. You get a couple of really chilly weeks and then it's all onwards and upwards towards spring.

I had a couple of friends who had pellet stoves, but I don't think you can beat a 'proper' wood burner. Wood is so cheap and plentiful and brings such a delightful warmth, it's just not the same sort of warmth as central heating.
Yes indeed - I love the warmth of a woodstove

And you get so much warmer cutting it and carting it too!
Every day for the next six months.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 12:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Yes indeed - I love the warmth of a woodstove

And you get so much warmer cutting it and carting it too!
Every day for the next six months.
We're only at the beginning of October, so if winter is the same as last year, then every day for the next seven, nay eight, months!

Last edited by dmu; Oct 5th 2013 at 1:26 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

I feel warmer already!