Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Will our dogs be allowed into France.

Will our dogs be allowed into France.

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Ruby67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will our dogs be allowed into France.

Hello everyone.
You're all living in France! You lucky people.
My husband and I are planning to move to France in 2 years timebut already I am worrying about whether or not we'll be able to bring our dogs, if we can't we won't be coming!
At the moment we have a Dogue de Bordeaux who does have pedigree papers. On Saturday we are going to pick up two new members to our family, two Dogue de Bordeauxs but have 1/8 English mastiff in them and no pedigree papers.
I have just been told by a lady from another site that they will not be allowed in. Pedigree papers really are not important to us, we don't intend breeding we just love the breed but, their appearance is similar to the Boerball breed which is considered dangerous in many countries and without papers to prove otherwise I'm more than a little scared we'll get through the tunnel and get told no we can't bring them through.
Please can someone give me advice on this before we go and pick up the puppies on Saturday.
We desperately want to move to France but alas our baby and 'maybe' babies are more important to us.
The lady who emailed me did say that the checking process in Calais wasn't very strict so we may be ok but, they may decide to be though-er on the day we come through.
Thanks for reading
Helen
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will our dogs be allowed into France.

Originally Posted by Ruby67
Hello everyone.
You're all living in France! You lucky people.
My husband and I are planning to move to France in 2 years timebut already I am worrying about whether or not we'll be able to bring our dogs, if we can't we won't be coming!
At the moment we have a Dogue de Bordeaux who does have pedigree papers. On Saturday we are going to pick up two new members to our family, two Dogue de Bordeauxs but have 1/8 English mastiff in them and no pedigree papers.
I have just been told by a lady from another site that they will not be allowed in. Pedigree papers really are not important to us, we don't intend breeding we just love the breed but, their appearance is similar to the Boerball breed which is considered dangerous in many countries and without papers to prove otherwise I'm more than a little scared we'll get through the tunnel and get told no we can't bring them through.
Please can someone give me advice on this before we go and pick up the puppies on Saturday.
We desperately want to move to France but alas our baby and 'maybe' babies are more important to us.
The lady who emailed me did say that the checking process in Calais wasn't very strict so we may be ok but, they may decide to be though-er on the day we come through.
Thanks for reading
Helen
Interesting! This can be a bit of a grey area, but I fear that the advise already given is correct. Read info on Chiens de 1ère catégorie : HERE.

Here's ANOTHER LINK that provides PDF documents, one of which (perhaps the fifth one - CERFA 13997*01) may be required in your case.
Pending further definitive replies from dodgy - sorry, 'doggy' folks here on the exact position, you may be advised to hold off on your purchase of new babies this weekend.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jun 2nd 2011 at 3:38 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:04 pm
Tree Surgeon

media is an unknown quantity at this point

we are planning our move in sept. our sprocker has had the rabies jab, and we have paperwork - but no pedigree papers.

our cats just need to be microchipped (as is the dog).

our horses just need their passports and a valuation above the meat price! so we dont get charged importation of food taxes

thats about all i know....
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ruby67
Hello everyone.

The lady who emailed me did say that the checking process in Calais wasn't very strict so we may be ok but, they may decide to be thorough on the day we come through.
Thanks for reading
Helen
Hi,
Last time we came back through the tunnel was not long after Bin Laden's untimely demise and security on the British side was tighter than I've ever seen it. It took ages and everyone was stopped and questioned and the car was checked. On the French side there was nothing.... I'm sure the French will let your dogs in. The state of French pavements says a lot for the French attitude to these furry friends.