Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Who has more clout?

Who has more clout?

Old Jan 27th 2022, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who has more clout?

We were given a date for the final signing of our house purchase as 28th Feb.
today the estate agent tells me the Notaire has changed it to 21st Feb.
We have already made plans - ferry bookings, hotels etc - other half booked leave….
so - this new date really doesn’t suit us at all - I do know the sellers have been pushing for as early as possible
Who has more say in the matter?
We really want a later date.
I am apprehensive of being too bl minded because the Notaire does have my power of attorney and might just say it’s too bad for me if I can’t be there because he will just sign the papers etc
advice gratefully received!
Old Jan 27th 2022, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

notgrampa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who has more clout?

If nothing has changed since the compromis, then I don't see a problem with Notaire signing on your behalf. One issue could be the insurance if you have already asked for it to start in your name from the later date, but this can be changed.
Old Jan 27th 2022, 4:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it's meant to be confrontational. It's about trying to find a solution that everybody is happy with.
How definite was the 28th, was it a kind of "no later than" deadline? because it would be unusual to be able to give a set in stone date so far ahead since nobody knows how long the various papers will take to come back.
But if the seller wanted to complete asap, and you have already arranged power of attourney, presumably the notaire thought you would be happy for him to sign on your behalf and didn't anticipate that it would inconvenience you to complete sooner rather than later.
Why not explain to him that actually you would prefer to be there in person, you have already made travel arrangements etc, and would it be possible to revert to the later date.
Hopefully he will try to be fair and weigh up how badly the seller would be affected by the later date versus how badly you would be affected by the earlier date.
But do it straight away, because the seller will also be making plans.

Exciting times!

Old Jan 28th 2022, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - definitely not confrontational- just everybody is aware that we had planned to be there in person on 28th - a date given to us long after initial compromis signing where there was no indication of a date. They knew I couldn’t make the compromis hence power of attorney given for that.
Estate agent is putting my case forward to Notaire today and he is sure they will be happy with going back to original date
so far we’ve found the Notaire to be very relaxed and also very helpful.