Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Where to move to in Northern France

Where to move to in Northern France

Old Oct 23rd 2011, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

tickletori is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Where to move to in Northern France

Hi, ive just joined up on here and need a little advise - im thinking of moving to north of france but have no idea where is the best place to live and work, i dont mind commuting but not too far - any advise would be greatfully recieved ta.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 3:44 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to move to in Northern France

Originally Posted by tickletori
Hi, ive just joined up on here and need a little advise - im thinking of moving to north of france but have no idea where is the best place to live and work, i dont mind commuting but not too far - any advise would be greatfully recieved ta.
Welcome to the Forum, We have a few members up that end and I'm sure they will be along to advise. If you get any issues give me a shout.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

It might help if you give some more information e.g. what sort of work; do you have family; do you speak french; do you need to return to the uk regularly?
The north of France is a big area and it depends on how far south you are prepared to consider.
Have you already visited any areas that take your fancy?
Unemployment in France is probably worse than in the UK espcially for non-french or non-french speakers.

Best of luck
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

cmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nice

I live in Lille. It's a very nice place, but it depends upon what you do for work. My husband is a programmer and he found work here when we wanted to move to France, but the job market isn't an easy one at the moment.

I don't know whether unemployment is worse than in the UK because there is quite a bit of disguised unemployment there, but it's not great here. As others have said, do you speak French? That matters more than you think, although in the programming field, they are willing to put up with a bit more than other fields.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Where to move to in Northern France

Thankyou, a little more information - I am 20 and speak enough french to just about get by but would be looking to improve alot. I would be moving on my own so looking for a 1 bed apartment/flat hopefully nothing too expensive. I have experience in administration and the hotel business but not really any major qualifications. I have been looking at the top end of paris/normany and picardy but dont really know much about the later two.

Also are there any websites for longterm rentals that are good as most are for holiday homes etc. and i would be looking for a minimum of 1 year rental.

Thanks

Last edited by tickletori; Oct 23rd 2011 at 6:37 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cmread
I live in Lille. It's a very nice place, but it depends upon what you do for work. My husband is a programmer and he found work here when we wanted to move to France, but the job market isn't an easy one at the moment.

I don't know whether unemployment is worse than in the UK because there is quite a bit of disguised unemployment there, but it's not great here. As others have said, do you speak French? That matters more than you think, although in the programming field, they are willing to put up with a bit more than other fields.
Hi, what is it like living in Lille - renting / work?
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

cmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nice

Hi, what is it like living in Lille - renting / work?
Rents are reasonable in my opinion. We live in a good area a few minutes walk away from good, reliable public transport and we pay 800€/month.

I don't know how hard/easy work is to find at the moment. It depends on what you do. Working conditions are fine.

Public transport is cheap. A Carte Rhythmo is 46€/month. It will take you everywhere in Lille: by bus, tram, metro and TER. It's reliable and good. It's so nice that we haven't even bothered to buy a car.

Lille is a beautiful city. The people are friendly and tolerant when you make mistakes speaking French. There are loads of great shops, sights, and all sorts of things to do.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Question Re: Where to move to in Northern France

Rents are reasonable in my opinion. We live in a good area a few minutes walk away from good, reliable public transport and we pay 800€/month.

I don't know how hard/easy work is to find at the moment. It depends on what you do. Working conditions are fine.

Public transport is cheap. A Carte Rhythmo is 46€/month. It will take you everywhere in Lille: by bus, tram, metro and TER. It's reliable and good. It's so nice that we haven't even bothered to buy a car.

Lille is a beautiful city. The people are friendly and tolerant when you make mistakes speaking French. There are loads of great shops, sights, and all sorts of things to do.
Thank for the info it sounds really nice - im just not sure whether I should pick somewhere to live , move and then find a job or find a job and move to where the job is im thinking of moving in the new year but not sure if its easier or harder then.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Hi,
Is there any particular reason you wish to move to France, where there is over 10% unemployment, rather than say, Germany, India or China, and where the jobs market is no doubt far less gloomy? With "just enough French to get by" and "no major qualifications" you are bound to find the going tough.
France is nice, but the streets are by no means paved with gold (more like dog-s..t).
pb
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank for the info it sounds really nice - im just not sure whether I should pick somewhere to live , move and then find a job or find a job and move to where the job is im thinking of moving in the new year but not sure if its easier or harder then.
I agree with PB is your French up to discussions with a letting agent?
Will you be able to provide a guarantor to rent an apartment?
Have you considered flat sharing?
How long can you remain without income?
You really have to do your homework on this otherwise it just won't work for you.
Best of luck
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Hi,
Is there any particular reason you wish to move to France, where there is over 10% unemployment, rather than say, Germany, India or China, and where the jobs market is no doubt far less gloomy? With "just enough French to get by" and "no major qualifications" you are bound to find the going tough.
France is nice, but the streets are by no means paved with gold (more like dog-s..t).
pb
You know, I've never found any problems with the 'leavings' of dogs on the pavements around here in Lille. None. The pavements are very clean.

It's probably not going to be easy for the OP to find work in France, but who knows? Sometimes, with dedication and luck, one can manage things that no-one thinks possible.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

You know, I've never found any problems with the 'leavings' of dogs on the pavements around here in Lille. None. The pavements are very clean.

It's probably not going to be easy for the OP to find work in France, but who knows? Sometimes, with dedication and luck, one can manage things that no-one thinks possible.
Think it was meant as a funny in contrast to "paved with gold"
PB lives a long way from Lille and I am sure that the comment was not a reflection on that city.

Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cyrian
I agree with PB is your French up to discussions with a letting agent?
Will you be able to provide a guarantor to rent an apartment?
Have you considered flat sharing?
How long can you remain without income?
You really have to do your homework on this otherwise it just won't work for you.
Best of luck

I am looking to improve me french alot - i have about 2 1/2 to 3 months if i want to go to france in Jan 2012.

I would be able to provide a guarantor to rent an apartment and hopefully by the time i go out my french will be up to discussions with letting agents etc. - Do alot of people speak english or is it majority french?

I wouldn't consider flat sharing and I could survive for a few months without income.

I definately will be doing my homework before moving as it is a major decision.

Also the reason for choosing france is that it would still be close enough to the UK for Family etc. and its the country i know more about the i.e. spain etc.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:04 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Hi,
France, where there is over 10% unemployment, With "just enough French to get by" and "no major qualifications" you are bound to find the going tough.
Hi, I'd go so far as to say the unemployment rate is much higher than 10% among young folk. There are thousands of French graduates accepting lowly work to survive, and the English-speaking ones would be given priority over expats for any decent work going.
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but there's still an economic crisis here and I'm realistic...
One solution, if you're keen to come to France nonetheless - Have you considered doing au-pair with a French family?
Old Oct 24th 2011, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, I'd go so far as to say the unemployment rate is much higher than 10% among young folk. There are thousands of French graduates accepting lowly work to survive, and the English-speaking ones would be given priority over expats for any decent work going.
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but there's still an economic crisis here and I'm realistic...
One solution, if you're keen to come to France nonetheless - Have you considered doing au-pair with a French family?
I could consider that and then get my own place eventually does anyone know of any good websites / places to go for au pair jobs? - I have a lot of experience working with children however no formal qualifications and do a lot of voluntary work with children (adult volunteer in Army Cadets)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.