Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Wheelchair access in France

Wheelchair access in France

Old Nov 16th 2012, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wheelchair access in France

We have very good friends from uni days who have a house near us to which they come and go for half the year.

Usually they drive, but a couple of times a year they come from their home in Kent by Eurostar/TGV. This seems to be getting worse for wheelchair users especially when transferring from TGV to Eurostar. Lifts frequently out of order and absolutely no personel to assist.

They did the return trip to Kent on Wednesday via Paris but ended up having to use the escalator and being shouted at by an "official" for so doing, though no help offered, because the lift was out of order.

The able-bodied half of the couple is 70, they both speak good French and advise SNCF of their needs ahead of travel. Sometimes it works sometimes not.

We have had one wheelchair user parent each ( sadly no longer with us) travel to stay with us. Ryanair was a total disaster but on the autoroutes disabled facilities are good.

Many historic monuments, including the Hospice de Beaune and the Palais des Papes are amazinglingly helpful and very appologetic for not having total access.

Has anyone else encountered problems or found any simple solutions?

Last edited by grannybunz; Nov 16th 2012 at 12:08 pm. Reason: Fingers fasrer than brain
Old Nov 16th 2012, 3:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice
Default Re: Wheelchair access in France

I had never given wheelchair access a thought until my mother-in- law broke her leg and was in a wheelchair for 2 months.
I can only speak for my home town of Sarlat. It is hopeless.
Restaurants are virtually inaccessible, kerbs and steps everywhere. Add to that the steep streets and Sarlat is not the place to be in a wheelchair.
Chances are I could find myself in a wheelchair in a few months so I guess I would have to move elsewhere as even my own B&B is definitely not wheelchair friendly.
Old Nov 16th 2012, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

As a child of a disabled parent, I laugh at the thought of France being disabled friendly or accessible! It reminds me of the uk in the late 70s when Dad coldnt access disabled toilets as they were down a flight of stairs!!
Old Nov 16th 2012, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

So right

I thought I had problems in the UK but in France, a country I love, a nightmare but with pockets ofwonderful people who help and understand.

I suspect it is entirely up to those who need access to moan, complain and shout.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 8:46 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grannybunz
So right

I thought I had problems in the UK but in France, a country I love, a nightmare but with pockets ofwonderful people who help and understand.

I suspect it is entirely up to those who need access to moan, complain and shout.
Here you have to wave your priority card about to get any help, Then normally what happens is able bodied folk will start complaining that you don't look disabled and shouldn't have any priority.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 8:53 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Something the US does a decent job of. All new construction must be to standard for "disabled" and any public updates also.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 11:05 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grannybunz
So right

This is a matter enshrined in EU law (yeah I know )
http://ec.europa.eu/justice/discrimi...s/index_en.htm

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/discrimi...d/index_en.htm

The EU has also joined the UN on this
http://ec.europa.eu/information_soci...m?item_id=6588

The problem is that Disability - which everyone sees as a wheelchair - covers other matters such as sight, hearing and mental problems.
To make major alterations is a serious undertaking financially and will take decades to make inroads into providing support for all.
However, in some countries facilities for ethnic minorities have moved faster than facilities for the disabled.

Public organisations such as railways have to comply and there should be no argument. Their failure to do so is punishable by fines and the publicity that goes with it - if the person(s) concerned are prepared to go that far.

As to airlines, even in relatively new airports the basic facility of a lift can be that for freight and other goods - not a happy situation. And they still manage to move the stuff when the lift is "out of order". Malaga in Spain has a reception area for the Disabled, although that is on the upper floor accessed by a lift, but they provide helpers to get the individual to the gate/plane and ease their way thru customs etc. I am sure if someone had a problem on the ground floor they would provide the service from there.

Here in a small village/town our local buses are a bit antiquated and the driver never gets out of his seat to help someone with a wheelchair so it is left to us passengers to dismantle one resident's wheelchair and rebuild on arrival. But in the big city all the buses have been upgraded and have adjustable suspension to allow wheelchair access.
They still haven't been able to overcome the problem of a blind person knowing they have got on the right bus or arrived at their destination.
But many city buses have got induction loops fitted when paying the driver.

hth, a very interesting discussion

rgds

Last edited by Domino; Nov 19th 2012 at 11:26 am.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 11:10 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Something the US does a decent job of. All new construction must be to standard for "disabled" and any public updates also.
Yes, the US if forging ahead with this, after perhaps a late start, but then it is usually those with "interests" who delay things and the ADA is being pushed very heavily.

`
Old Nov 19th 2012, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Domino

Thanks for your thoughts. Of course we and our friends realise that it is enshrined in EU law. Getting officials on the ground or more often, finding a person to acknowldge this and provide the help to which a disabled person is entitled is another matter isn't it?

This is not, by any means, confined to France. Wherever it happens it is wrong, illegal and immoral - but how to sort it on the spot is not always obvious.