Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Weird enquiries - help needed from fellow holiday renters!

Weird enquiries - help needed from fellow holiday renters!

Old Sep 13th 2009, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice
Default Re: Weird enquiries - help needed from fellow holiday renters!

I have had three emails from a Christian Organisation based at Aberdeen University who wanted 4 rooms. I recognised it as a spam and replied saying the rooms were £400 per day. They wrote back saying that they were sending me a Western Union money order for £6000 but could I refund £2000 straight away to the Bursers Office to assist with the Christian Brothers travel Budget.. I rang Aberdeen University security who said that they had been inundated with calls from hotels all over Europe. I wanted to see the Western Union money order just for the heck of it but the wife told me not to waste my time as we could end up with some heavy Nigerians on the doorstep.

This month I went onto Autotrader to source a LHD in UK. I found the perfect vehicle worth £6000 about £3000 under book. I enquired and got back a contrived story about the owner living in Germany and the car being parked up in UK. As he had just had an abortive trip to UK to a no-show buyer he had a suggestion.
I had to make out a Western Union money order for £3000,the price of the car, but make it out to myself to be cashed at any Post Office by me. After faxing these money order documents of proof of my good intention he would fly to UK to meet me where I could cash the money order myself and pay him if I liked the car.. About 2 days later I got an email from Autotrader saying the listing was a scam (I had sussed that myself). The same day I saw the same vehicle on Ebay. That disappeared a day later.
What a shame these creative scammers cannot put their genius to something legitimate
Old Sep 13th 2009, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Location: Gascogne (now unfortunatelly called the Gers) Midi Pyrenees France
ethix98 is an unknown quantity at this point

These chinese get around. Early this morning (sent time 03.47) had an email from a supposedly chinese family wanting to stay for 2 weeks on their way to the UK for a 10 week holiday. We accomodate 6-8.

Apparently there are 18 of them

6 adults and 10 children 'mmm

Am tracking the email source .
Old Sep 13th 2009, 5:23 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ethix98
These chinese get around. Early this morning (sent time 03.47) had an email from a supposedly chinese family wanting to stay for 2 weeks on their way to the UK for a 10 week holiday. We accomodate 6-8.

Apparently there are 18 of them

6 adults and 10 children 'mmm

Am tracking the email source .
The chinese are a small people, Space saving despite the numbers. Charge them a subsidy for feet touching the ground. And pray their not with a circus. Works for us.

Should you need a boat load of them, I can do you a deal.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Alert

Watch for this one

Received email to "undisclosed recipients:"
Could you please confirm availability and total cost for the dates
stated below for 4 guests for one month vacation.

Sender name [email protected]

_911 ?!!

Arrival Date: 1 St Nov , 2009
Departure Date: 30Th Nov , 2009

Room Type: 4 Standard single Room Or 2 Double Or 2 bedrooms Apartments.

Length of Stay: one month

The four guests are all Adults.

Please advise availability. Moreover, what is the TOTAL COST in EURO or
USD for the entire period including Tax if any. Your prompt response will be appreciated.In case the date is not available please get back to me with another date.
Thanks.
Sincerely yours,

"Company name and address in UK"

TELL: +44xxxxxxxxxxxx

If nothin else the TELL bit made us suspicious.

Tracked IP to
Hostname: srvdnspri.cvwifi.net.cv
ISP: Pan Am Sat
Organization: CV Solutions

Type: Corporate

Google Earth location middle of the sea.

Guess what ?

Zooming out showed just off the coast of Nigeria.

As we are new to this forum, in an informing situation like this can we attach pics. on this forum and or copy extracts from original emails.?

Would you pursue this one ?
Old Sep 15th 2009, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Hey everyone

Check out

http://www.pillowsandpancakes.com/sw....php?f=1&t=720
Old Sep 15th 2009, 9:49 am
New ember - smoulderin'

analyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to all

Slightly at a tangent to the thread, but for those with a wacko sense of humour (like me) here's a place to wallow for a while.

Some are classics, but I'm not saying which. chacun à son goût

visit scambusters
Old Sep 15th 2009, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

Obvious scam.
Because they are are Nigerians they don't have a clue that France is too cold for a month long holiday in November and any booking then would be suspect..
It doesn't matter what date you confirm to them or how much you charge they are so stupid they will write back accepting your offer plus a request to rebate them some money from the Western Union scam
What makes it seem legitimate is that the Western Union money order, unlike a cheque,shows as a credit in your account despite being uncleared funds and may be cancelled up to one month after depositing even though your bank will show it as a credit.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Mike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant futureMike Cross has a brilliant future

I had an email claiming to be from Pay-Pals last week.

It gave me a link to a form on a website where I would be asked to update my personal details including password etc.

I know most of us are adult enough to see the scam immediately, but some, more vulnerable people would no doubt follow it through as the email did look quite official.

I can only imagine those poor people who are duped by these scams, it makes me fume
Old Sep 16th 2009, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

That scambusters is a hoot!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:44 pm
New ember - smoulderin'

analyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to all

Originally Posted by wetwang
That scambusters is a hoot!
Indeed, have wasted many an hour or two in there

I need to get a life
Old Sep 16th 2009, 5:10 pm
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

and here's another one. I've deleted the link in case anybody is daft enough to click on it

The world's local bank

Dear Customer,

Please take a moment and verify this information :

Our records show that at about 15:45 GMT you accessed your account and made an online transfer of funds.

We have reason to believe that the entry to your account was made by computer error and we send our sincere apoplogies,

We are committed to keeping your accounts and personal information safe and secure and we recommend that you protect your personal information.

As an added security measure , you are required to confirm your account information

Click Here

Thank you for reviewing this information and helping us maintain the privacy and security of your account

HSBC Bank UK.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

maybe you should have left the link on and we could have bombarded them with lots of GIMP account details
Old Sep 27th 2009, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

FrogAndChat is an unknown quantity at this point

We rent a holiday caravan, but in the winter we offer it to students etc for a reduced price, this guy from Africa contacted initally saying it was for his wife, his two year old son and himself for Jan to Mar - after a few emails, he asked for bank details, we informed him due to a previous incident we would not do international transfer. He then offered a check, sent us a pdf of the check and a DHL invoice to send the check - except he wanted us to pay the 300euro bill for the check to be sent and he added the 300euros to the accommodation amount - we never contacted back. No matter how legit they seem, always ask yourself twice.