Weather

Old Jun 30th 2015, 4:34 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weather

So is it hot enough for you today? Anyone that says in doesn't get hot in Normandy and the Pays de la Loire is obviously mad
Old Jun 30th 2015, 5:08 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weather

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
So is it hot enough for you today? Anyone that says in doesn't get hot in Normandy and the Pays de la Loire is obviously mad
It's hot in the Languedoc, but, surprisingly, we aren't included in the "Alerte-Canicule" départements. It's actually relatively cool at night, which helps...

Hints to relative newcomers who aren't used to heat-waves - close your windows and shutters during the day, stay indoors in the relative cool, open your shutters and all windows at sundown, and keep the upstairs windows open all night.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Well here in Provence we are not on alert - we are supposed to be used to it and it does seem that our temperatures are not quite as high as the rest of the country.

I shall be on alert next Wednesday when we are due to go to Orange for the Choregies - Carmen this time. We are due 40C. OK it starts at 9.00pm but we have to get there first, eat beforehand and then sit in incredible discomfort for the next 3 hours in the Roman theatre which just radiates heat.

Poor us - why do we inflict it on ourselves? Especially as we won't get home until 2.00am. Because it is one of the most magical experiences in the world and , as this might be our last time, after 20 years we just have to go.

Wish us luck!
Old Jul 1st 2015, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Baking here, 40+ yesterday. Already boiling today. I have to have the shutters closed in my office.

Good advice about the shutters and windows. However beware, we left the windows open once and a friendly bat flew in, buzzing us for ages until we found the courage to try and get him out

It's even hot in the UK!
Old Jul 1st 2015, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

I hope people know how to 'coffrer' their shutters, which allows a little air to circulate between the window and the inside of the shutter - a short of primitive but effective fan system.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

PS GB, have a wonderful evening! I must say I don't envy you the heat and the discomfort bit, but the rest...
Old Jul 1st 2015, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loy loy
Baking here, 40+ yesterday. Already boiling today. I have to have the shutters closed in my office.

Good advice about the shutters and windows. However beware, we left the windows open once and a friendly bat flew in, buzzing us for ages until we found the courage to try and get him out

It's even hot in the UK!
It happens to us all the time and not just bats either! Our bedroom is on the second floor in an old silkwormery.It has very very high, beamed ceilings and the room and the adjoining dressing room are ridiculously large. With windows in both rooms, opposite each other and a door we leave open to catch the air currents, the critters fly in one and out through the other.

The bats used to bother me a lot but, as they are not vampires, I stopped worrying and no longer lock myself in the bathroom! The pigeons are a nuisance because they perch on things and the inevitable happens. Swifts (their nesting holes are in the eves) just fly through and the hoopoe and owls tend not to come right in.

It seems to take ages every night and morning to rearrange windows, shutters and fans in order to maximise the cool air but it has to be done.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

We too had a very unwelcome old bat fly in unannounced a short time ago.
The bloomin' mother-in-law.........
Old Jul 1st 2015, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

We unfortunately do not have the comfort of opening our windows without experiencing a terrible pong and flies. Today, our thoughtfull neighbouring farmer is spreading tons of bouse de vache (there is another name for it which escapes me).
I understand it is mandatory that after spreading this must be followed immediately by ploughing.
This never happens. Our farmer is also monsieur le maire.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackladder
I hope people know how to 'coffrer' their shutters, which allows a little air to circulate between the window and the inside of the shutter - a short of primitive but effective fan system.
We have casement type shutters and I just use the shutter locks to hold them slightly ajar. Is there more to it than that?
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

No, that's it! I guess that the term coffrer would be translated as 'box', so that the edges of the shutters make an angle with each other like the corners of a box.
just a guess
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe

Some of our shutters have louvres -ie slatted bottom halves, as has been said we just latch them during the day - there are two positions, one a bit more open than the other. Of course you also need hooks in the wall to prevent the Mistral removing open shutters!
Old Jul 1st 2015, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Blackie
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Bonnet is an unknown quantity at this point

Another hot day today...I have had an eldeerly someone change a booking to next week because of travelling in the heat.
It hit 41 C last week and the humidity made it even worse.
We just switch the air conditioning on...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.