Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

URSSAF ... no bill

URSSAF ... no bill

Old Feb 28th 2018, 11:35 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: URSSAF ... no bill

Originally Posted by Annetje
Hi Jon,

Still flying between BE and SP ?

In France, I declare everything (all incomes no matter where it comes from)
My private pension is taxed in France and not in the UK at all (taxcode NT)
A rental I receive in the UK is taxed in the UK. Since I have to declare this as well in France, they calculate the French tax on it and then deduct the UK tax from my total tax bill.
I understand a state pension (not that old yet ) would be taxed in the UK. I assume that would be the same system as they do for the rental.

One would hope that, after Brexit (IF it happens) the agreements will go on as now, but who knows.
We will see ......
Goeie dag Annetje - I am actually in SP right now. Grey and wet, unusually. We just left Brussels in full sunshine. But the 'beast from the east' has hit. -5 in Bxl and getting colder. So a 20 degree difference in a couple of days SP vs BE! My BH's son in the Ardennes has had -13! And its getting colder. So I a happy to trade that with the current bad weather here.

I agree that one should declare everything, but I am surprised to see that there is a different handling of UK pensions in France than BE. (In my case its a private pension). Ive still got a while (getting longer as they up the age) before I get my state pension (+ bus pass and cold weather payment ) When I get closer to that I'll find out how the State pension will be handled in BE.

My private UK pension as mentioned, is declared in BE but after some weird manipulation is untaxed. After a little shock last week - when I got a registered letter from the fisc - I'm really glad we've done the exercise, with my accountant - and I will shortly write to the Tax authorities and explain the situation. Sometimes international stuff needs some explanation.

The whole purpose of DTA's is that you don't pay twice - but (depending on the situation) pay the tax in one country and get a credit for this and pay the difference (if any) in the other - as you know.

I took advice from an international tax lawyer and he said that renegotiating DTA's is a cumbersome process and doubts that it will change as a result of Brexit. Even if it did it would take a long time and we would be prewarned.

So I am not worried about Brexit for this.

Groetjes

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Feb 28th 2018 at 11:46 am.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

The DTA is nothing to do with the EU.
It is a Treaty between country A and country B.
Such Treaties exist between many non-EU countries also.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 11:50 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TinaBee
UK state pensions are taxed in France. Only UK government pensions (e.g. police, fire service, etc.) are taxed in the UK as per rental income.
Thank you for that but I will cross that bridge if I ever get to that age ...

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Goeie dag Annetje - I am actually in SP right now. Grey and wet, unusually. We just left Brussels in full sunshine. But the 'beast from the east' has hit. -5 in Bxl and getting colder. So a 20 degree difference in a couple of days SP vs BE! My BH's son in the Ardennes has had -13! And its getting colder. So I a happy to trade that with the current bad weather here.

I agree that one should declare everything, but I am surprised to see that there is a different handling of UK pensions in France than BE. (In my case its a private pension). Ive still got a while (getting longer as they up the age) before I get my state pension (+ bus pass and cold weather payment ) When I get closer to that I'll find out how the State pension will be handled in BE.

My private UK pension as mentioned, is declared in BE but after some weird manipulation is untaxed. In fact after a little shock last week - when I got a registered letter - I'm really glad we've done the exercise, and I will shortly write to the Tax authorities and explain the situation. Sometimes international stuff needs some explanation.

The whole purpose of DTA's is that you don't pay twice - but (depending on the situation) pay the tax in one country and get a credit for this and pay the difference (if any) in the other - as you know.

I took advice from an international tax lawyer and he said that renegotiating DTA's is a cumbersome process and doubts that it will change as a result of Brexit. Even if it did it would take a long time and we would be prewarned.

So I am not worried about Brexit for this.

Groetjes

Jon
I assume the UK has different agreements with different countries.
It is amazing you get taxed in the UK for the same sort of pension that I get taxed in France for. In my case (not sure why) I only pay about half of what I should pay in the UK, so I'm a happy little bunny

Here in the South we have a snow blizzard going (horizontal snowfall) and the temperature must feel like - 10 ...... Never had that before here (or in any country I lived in).
Nearly Easter now ...... SPRING !!!!!
Old Feb 28th 2018, 11:52 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
So nothing will change then, Thank you very much !
Old Feb 28th 2018, 3:43 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
I think I said that. Brexit doesn't impact the DTA's and Im not worried about Brexit & DTAs. I think we all know that a DUAL agreement is between 2countries.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 3:49 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Annetje
Thank you for that but I bywill cross that bridge if I ever get to that age ...

I assume the UK has different agreements with different countries.
It is amazing you get taxed in the UK for the same sort of pension that I get taxed in France for. In my case (not sure why) I only pay about half of what I should pay in the UK, so I'm a happy little bunny

Here in the South we have a snow blizzard going (horizontal snowfall) and the temperature must feel like - 10 ...... Never had that before here (or in any country I lived in).
Nearly Easter now ...... SPRING !!!!!
Yes it is weird having different tax treatment BE-FR. Also funny that its better for you to be taxed in FR whereas better for me to be taxed in UK. Both BE & FR Are considered high taxation countries.

It also depends on each individual situation of course.

Keep warm and wear those thermals

Jon