Reload this Page >

UK EU driving license change to French EU driving license

UK EU driving license change to French EU driving license

Old Jan 31st 2019, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

jsea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK EU driving license change to French EU driving license

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Depends on HMG but the worst case scenario is that’ll you need an IDP. The chances of being unable to drive in the UK on a French licence at all whilst visiting are zero.
Thanks for the reassurance, so now we wait till Nantes has cleared up their backlog
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsea
Hi Helen thanks for the heads up on the time it could take. I sent my exchange request forms in last week because I read online somewhere that it was recommended especially amidst the brexit mess, but I am unsure of what they mean by exchange, does it mean they take the british driving license off us and we are left with no license to use in the UK? Or do we get the UK one back afterwards?
Yes, “exchange” means you will eventually be asked to hand over your British licence and you will be issued with a French one in return. The British licence will not be returned to you. I think they send it to the licensing authorities in the UK.
The problem for anyone who has moved from the UK to France and who needs/wants to be able to drive in the UK while visiting, is that - as has already been pointed out - you’re not allowed to drive in the UK with a licence that shows an address where you no longer reside.
So you need a French licence showing your current address.
That would not be a problem if the exchange process took, say, a month. But in our case, and I know we’re not alone, it took ONE YEAR from the date of submitting the application form with all the requisite supporting documents (in the interim, the requirements seem to have become more onerous - I think (very expensive) certified translations are now needed as well) to receive just the “attestation de dépôt” together with the instruction to submit the actual British licence.
That attestation + instruction finally came in October 2018. It’s now February 2019 and still nothing.
So, technically, my husband hasn’t been able to drive in the UK since moving here. And he still can’t because, as requested, he has sent his UK licence to Nantes and I doubt very much whether this “attestation de dépôt” is valid outside France.
It’s a bit of a nightmare to be honest. I’ve tried calling Nantes but they were rude and unhelpful and the email I sent weeks ago has gone unanswered.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

It just goes to show how things have progressed/improved in this digital age!
When myself (and some others here I'm sure) applied for our French licenses, it took no longer that a few weeks and we retained our UK license.
In fact 2 or 3 years ago I requested a change of my French paper license for the newer, smaller plastic one. It wasn't done on-line, and was completed & sent to me by mail in just 3 weeks.
Fwiw I have 2 other driving licences (Italian and Hong-Kong) unused these last 15 years so I guess no longer valid - especially the former without the annual fiscal stamps. Both of these too were issued without having to forfeit the UK one, so I wonder what the problem is now with France requesting to hand over the UK license?

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Feb 3rd 2019 at 7:42 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 7:58 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
It just goes to show how things have progressed/improved in this digital age!
When myself (and some others here I'm sure) applied for our French licenses, it took no longer that a few weeks and we retained our UK license.
In fact 2 or 3 years ago I requested a change of my French paper license for the newer, smaller plastic one. It wasn't done on-line, and was completed & sent to me by mail in just 3 weeks.
Fwiw I have2 other driving licences (Italian and Hong-Kong) unused these last 15 years so I guess no longer valid - especially the former without the annual fiscal stamps. Both of these too were issued without having to forfeit the UK one, so I wonder what the problem is now with France requesting to hand over the UK license?
As a matter of interest, does the Préfecture give you a Declaration/Certificate that your application is pending? I've still got my pink paper license and I've never had to show it to the men in blue, but Murphy's Law being what it is, they would probably check my papers the day I submitted it.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 8:10 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Fwiw I have 2 other driving licences (Italian and Hong-Kong) unused these last 15 years so I guess no longer valid - especially the former without the annual fiscal stamps. Both of these too were issued without having to forfeit the UK one, so I wonder what the problem is now with France requesting to hand over the UK license?
I imagine it's the gradual moves towards more complete harmonisation - there's now a rule in place which says you can't hold more than one EU driving licence at a time.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
As a matter of interest, does the Préfecture give you a Declaration/Certificate that your application is pending? I've still got my pink paper license and I've never had to show it to the men in blue, but Murphy's Law being what it is, they would probably check my papers the day I submitted it.
That’s the problem - the Préfecture doesn’t handle driver licensing anymore. Not since the autumn 2017.
The operation has been centralised in Nantes.
Yes, when they send you the instruction to send in your UK licence they provide you with an “attestation de dépôt” for the police in case you are stopped. But I doubt this piece of paper counts for much outside France.
For anybody needing/wanting to drive outside France, it’s a royal PITA.

I am amazed how many of my fellow British expats here in Strasbourg are unaware that you’re not allowed to drive in the UK on a licence showing an address where no longer live. I think for years no such rule existed - or if it did, there was zero public awareness of it - but a few years ago the UK government introduced a £1,000 on the spot fine and suddenly it became an issue.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

I’ve just checked the service public.fr website and, as far as I can see, the list of requirements does not mention translations so that’s something at least.
Thank God because it would cost a fortune.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 10:31 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964

That’s the problem - the Préfecture doesn’t handle driver licensing anymore. Not since the autumn 2017.
The operation has been centralised in Nantes.

Yes, when they send you the instruction to send in your UK licence they provide you with an “attestation de dépôt” for the police in case you are stopped. But I doubt this piece of paper counts for much outside France.
For anybody needing/wanting to drive outside France, it’s a royal PITA.

I am amazed how many of my fellow British expats here in Strasbourg are unaware that you’re not allowed to drive in the UK on a licence showing an address where no longer live. I think for years no such rule existed - or if it did, there was zero public awareness of it - but a few years ago the UK government introduced a £1,000 on the spot fine and suddenly it became an issue.
I was replying to tp's post regarding changing a French paper license (obtained last century) into a plastic one....

Old Feb 3rd 2019, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

You would still have to go through Nantes. Not your local préfecture.
But if you’re just exchanging an existing French licence for an updated version, I imagine the process would be quick & painless.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 12:04 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You would still have to go through Nantes. Not your local préfecture.
But if you’re just exchanging an existing French licence for an updated version, I imagine the process would be quick & painless.
Precisely what I'm considering doing, and tp confirms that it's a quick procedure once the dossier has been submitted. (The downside is the time spent getting to and from the Préfecture, and queuing up...., which is another reason for hesitating).
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

No need to go to the prefecture. Driver licensing has been centralised in Nantes.
Old Feb 3rd 2019, 4:50 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No need to go to the prefecture. Driver licensing has been centralised in Nantes.

Whatever, I've just discovered on the Service-Public site that it's unnecessary to change formats before 2033 (by which time I certainly won't be driving any more)!
I only had the idea of changing it, as it's getting a bit tatty.
Courage, yourself!
Old Feb 4th 2019, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

jsea is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I imagine it's the gradual moves towards more complete harmonisation - there's now a rule in place which says you can't hold more than one EU driving licence at a time.
Well in that case, we should be allowed to hold on to our UK licence as it will soon not be in the EU anymore
Old Feb 6th 2019, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Whatever, I've just discovered on the Service-Public site that it's unnecessary to change formats before 2033 (by which time I certainly won't be driving any more)!
I only had the idea of changing it, as it's getting a bit tatty.
Courage, yourself!
DMU,
Those pink French licenses certainly do become tatty with age, which was the reason I changed mine. Having always carried it in my wallet it looked like it had been through a shredder. Interesting too that there was no expiry date on them, but the new, plastic (and far more portable type) I note are valid for 15 years.

Old Feb 9th 2019, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: UK EU driving license change to French EU driving license

Just a little update.
I called Nantes yesterday on 3400. After you select “permis de conduire” none of the options offered correspond to “échange de permis étranger” so you have to pick the last option “Autres questions”.
After 15 minutes I got through to a human who sounded a bit robotic and was definitely reading from a script but was at least able to confirm thst my husband’s licence is “en cours de production” and should be with him soon.
Quel bonheur!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.