Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

uk driving licence

uk driving licence

Old Mar 30th 2005, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future
Default uk driving licence

i did ask when i got here 5yrs ago was told "no" need to change

i bought a new car had to change the plates, asked again to change to a french licence, told again "no"

then got stopped by police ..................... again

and guess what??? "what is this HUGE slab of paper?, you MUST CHANGE LICENCE TO FRENCH IF HERE MORE THAN 2 YEARS" ??????????? hello??? what department talks to who???

i had been asking this but mine is an OLD EU version no photo...... police dont like, yet their own department still tell me its ok, no need to change! even if BY LAW i cant change the address on it!

and i blame the Uk for being backward and retarded! nuff said!

all the same i refuse to change to french, as i am told to do so i must sit a 3 WEEK exam???? are they MAD??????
Old Mar 30th 2005, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all
Default Re: uk driving licence

Hi

do you know/think it would be different if you had one of the newer licences with a photo id?

If so, why not apply online for a replacement in the UK - have it sent to someone, then forwarded to you! (2nd thoughts - you'll probably have to download the form, so that you can send photos).
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
Hi

do you know/think it would be different if you had one of the newer licences with a photo id?

If so, why not apply online for a replacement in the UK - have it sent to someone, then forwarded to you! (2nd thoughts - you'll probably have to download the form, so that you can send photos).
you are right no piccy

but everyone i know has left the UK LOL mass trawl out to france-spain-sweden etc

i rang again today to be told it ok no need to change it!!!

going back to 2001 and the third level of police the douanes, OMG they are evil, i was back en-route from the spanish side of france.... regular fag run, they stopped me! i got NO ID at all!!!!!! they went loopy wanting to see inside my tyres............ they can do this btw!! best not to upset them!

passport was demanded, but i had not left france or the EU why would i need this? they were not a happy bunch trust me!! they could have stripped the car by nut and bolt. thankfully not a one spoke engish so )))))))

but all the same !! not funny!

only country you ever have to show passport to is ruddy UK!!!!!!

even norway NOT EVEN IN EUROPE does not care!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

I do hope you don't have to re-take another test!

We are in Australia at the moment and we had to take theory tests after being here 3 months.

You have to get 8 give way questions completely correct and then at least 32 out of 42 in the next part.

Each time you get 1 or more wrong in 1st part you have to pay another $25 to do it again (someone I know took it 8 times)!

Then you have to pay for your licence each year or for mulitiple years - how's that for a money making scheme?
Old Apr 4th 2005, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

scoiattolo49 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bourgogne
i did ask when i got here 5yrs ago was told "no" need to change

i bought a new car had to change the plates, asked again to change to a french licence, told again "no"

then got stopped by police ..................... again

and guess what??? "what is this HUGE slab of paper?, you MUST CHANGE LICENCE TO FRENCH IF HERE MORE THAN 2 YEARS" ??????????? hello??? what department talks to who???

i had been asking this but mine is an OLD EU version no photo...... police dont like, yet their own department still tell me its ok, no need to change! even if BY LAW i cant change the address on it!

and i blame the Uk for being backward and retarded! nuff said!

all the same i refuse to change to french, as i am told to do so i must sit a 3 WEEK exam???? are they MAD??????
One thing for sure: even if you change to French one you don't need an exam. You should be able to convert any EU licence to another EU licence WITHOUT exam.

All (new) EU driving licences are now standardised... BTW why don't you change your UK paper licence to a new UK photocard one? Police will then be happy

The all issue of keeping the EU licence from the Country you are from is in a bit of a shamble now because of the driving points.. most of the EU Countries have now a points system, similar but different... :scared:
They want to be able (especially for lorry drivers) to deduct points if you commit on offence... not sure how they will do this

BTW EU Countries recently agreed a way of exchanging fines (above a certain minimum amount) between Countries.. ie if you get a fine in France the payment will be collected in UK.
So no anymore unpaid parking tickets
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scoiattolo49
One thing for sure: even if you change to French one you don't need an exam. You should be able to convert any EU licence to another EU licence WITHOUT exam.

All (new) EU driving licences are now standardised... BTW why don't you change your UK paper licence to a new UK photocard one? Police will then be happy

The all issue of keeping the EU licence from the Country you are from is in a bit of a shamble now because of the driving points.. most of the EU Countries have now a points system, similar but different... :scared:
They want to be able (especially for lorry drivers) to deduct points if you commit on offence... not sure how they will do this

BTW EU Countries recently agreed a way of exchanging fines (above a certain minimum amount) between Countries.. ie if you get a fine in France the payment will be collected in UK.
So no anymore unpaid parking tickets
right then they can try -to find m e'm in the UK sod 'em

Last edited by bourgogne; Apr 6th 2005 at 9:27 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bourgogne
right then they can try -to find m e'm in the UK sod 'em

6 spped fines in uk =??????????? nothing!!!!

exporting car and stupid fines for not taxing car ===== nothing

2yrs later car ijn france and???

no tax no mot no one gives a shat!!!!!!!!!!
stopped by police ? yes and??????? no clue no idea what is what

car is like errrrr............. 100,000 missing cars from uk .
Old Apr 6th 2005, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scoiattolo49
)BTW why don't you change your UK paper licence to a new UK photocard one? Police will then be happy

was i asked???? its ok until 2037 so????????????????????

even in france i am told its ok dont change it

sod the police

france does not expire engish does
Old Apr 7th 2005, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Sharsh is an unknown quantity at this point

The French appear to be a bit backward.

When I moved to Germany 15 years ago I exchanged my UK license for a German one and I didn't have to sit any tests - it was straight swap and cost the equivalent of 30 Euros.

But knowing French beauraucracy, it doesn't surprise me at all that the police think you need a French one and the civil service department responsible says you don't.

C'est la vie en France!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'd still rather be in France than Australia!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

I'd still rather be in France than Australia!

so come visit and leave!!

but please dont go to spain thats all i can say
Old Apr 7th 2005, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

We need to stay here til the end of this year, our son is finishing school then.

I'm trying desparately to find him an english speaking university in France/Europe so that we can come back.

Definitely to France, not Spain!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

We need to stay here til the end of this year, our son is finishing school then.

I'm trying desparately to find him an english speaking university in France/Europe so that we can come back.

Definitely to France, not Spain!
what sort od subjects you looking at covering?
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

He would like to take a medicine degree!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

He would like to take a medicine degree!

never met a doctor yet that does not speak english!!!! as most of the learning involves english !!!......... they have to convert not him

europe is screaming for doctors. how far you got with searches?? need any help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.