Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

U.S. citizen trying to work/live in France

U.S. citizen trying to work/live in France

Old Jun 12th 2004, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

autonomo is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow U.S. citizen trying to work/live in France

My desire is to live permanently in France.

i've been in France little under a month. My tourist visa is due to expire in july as i was in Germany for 2 weeks before entering France.

I arrived in Germany at the end of November 2003. My sister was living in germany at the time. Her husband was in the US Army and had been deployed to Iraq. He was in the infantry and thusly stationed in the most dangerous locations in what some term "the theatre".
I came to help caretake her 3 children ages 4, 6, 10 while her husband was away since she had several medical conditions that could potentially create a problem if she was alone.
Before arriving in Germany i had been speaking to a frenchman.
i lived in germany for 6 months. During my stay, i visited the aforementioned frenchman several times in France as well as his several visits to Germany to visit me.
In april, my sister's husband was killed in iraq.
We (myself, my sister, and her three children) flew back to the U.S. to arrange the funeral, etc. Afterwards, my sister and myself flew back to Germany to pack her household goods and personal items to be shipped back to the U.S.
Before going back to the U.S., i realized that i did not want to return to the U.S. to live. This was very clear to me. While in the U.S., during the funeral period, i decided that i was indeed NOT going back to the U.S. to live.
After arriving for the second time in Germany, and after the subsequent packing of my sister's belongings, i made a journey to France with intentions to live there, bringing with me all of my belongings that i had in Germany during the previous 6 months.

Currently here living with the frenchman in France, i'm having trouble finding work (under the table) and my tourist visa is due to run out in a few months.
The frenchman and i have considered implementing the PACS as we have no intention of getting married. We are hoping this will help in so much as opening doors for potential visa/residency oppotunities.

I am aware of the visa de long séjour, carte de séjour, visa de court séjour, Carte de séjour temporaire "Visiteur", visa d'études, Carte de séjour d'étudiant, and Authorization provisoire de travail but the real problem is obtaining a work visa without having a job through an international/U.S. based firm or company....which i would have to get in the United States anyhow.
I've considered the student visa and then getting a work visa by being a student......however the drawback is that the work visa allows the student only 20 hours a week,
and 20 hours a week does not a bill pay.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICE ABOUT MY SITUATION, IT WOULD BE KINDLY APPRECIATED.
A chief event of life is the day in which we have encountered a mind that startled us. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by autonomo; Jun 12th 2004 at 1:01 pm.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 12:39 pm
mickj

Default Re: U.S. citizen trying to work/live in France

Sorry to hear about your sister's husband ! Note it's illegal to work in any country in the western world, without a work permit. Since you are not an EU citizen, it's going to be hard for you to get a job just like that, the same applies to some from Europe going to the states to try and do what you are trying to do.

If you guys got married, then you might be able to take up residency, and get a work permit. You did say you went there on a tourist visa right? They might find it hard converting that into a work permit for you.

There are many people round the world, that would like to go the other way too, but we all know where the US stands on that. I hope it works out for you, but the country you have chosen to want to live in, has had it's fair share of illegal workers and immigrants, and is seriously clamping down on things like that.

Good luck !

Originally posted by autonomo
i've been in France little under a month. my tourist visa is due to expire in july as i was in Germany for 2 weeks before entering France.
my desire is to live permanently in France.

my story:

i arrived in Germany via Frankfurt National Airport at the end of November. my sister was living in germany at the time. her husband was in the US Army and deployed to Iraq. he was in the infantry and thusly stationed in the most dangerous locations.
i came to help take care of her 3 children ages 4, 6, 10 while her husband was away since she had several medical conditions that could potentially create a problem.

Before arriving in Germany i had been speaking to a frenchman
via the internet.

i lived in germany for 6 months. during my stay, i visited the aforementioned frenchman several times in France as well as his several visits to Germany to visit me.

in april, my sister's husband was killed in iraq.

we (myself, my sister, and her three children) flew back to the U.S. to arrange the funeral, etc. Afterwards, my sister and myself flew back to germany to pack her household goods and personal items to be shipped back to the U.S.

before going back to the U.S., i realized that i did'nt want to go back there to live. This was very clear to me. While in the U.S., during the funeral period, i decided that i was indeed NOT going back to the U.S. to live.

After arriving for the second time in Germany, and after the subsequent packing of my sister's belongings, i made a journey to France with intentions to live there, bringing with me all of my belongings that i had in Germany during the previous 6 months.

Currently here living with the frenchman in France, i'm having trouble finding work (under the table) and my tourist visa is due to run out in a few months.

the frenchman and i have considered implementing the PACS as we have no intention of getting married. we are hoping this will help with visas and have been researching this.

i'm aware of the visa de long séjour, carte de séjour, visa de court séjour, Carte de séjour temporaire "Visiteur", visa d'études, Carte de séjour d'étudiant, and Authorization provisoire de travail.

The real problem is obtaining a work visa without having a job through an international/U.S. based firm or company....which i would have to get in the United States anyhow.
ive considered the student visa and then getting a work visa by being a student......however the drawback is that the work visa allows the student only 20 hours a week,

IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICE ABOUT MY SITUATION, IT WOULD BE KINDLY APPRECIATED.

Old Jun 13th 2004, 1:13 pm
pix

Hope you make it but even if you do try getting a job for 20hours that will be hard enough,hope you speak the lingo ,foget it if you dont.

Old Jun 14th 2004, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by autonomo
My desire is to live permanently in France.

i've been in France little under a month. My tourist visa is due to expire in july as i was in Germany for 2 weeks before entering France.

I arrived in Germany at the end of November 2003. My sister was living in germany at the time. Her husband was in the US Army and had been deployed to Iraq. He was in the infantry and thusly stationed in the most dangerous locations in what some term "the theatre".
I came to help caretake her 3 children ages 4, 6, 10 while her husband was away since she had several medical conditions that could potentially create a problem if she was alone.
Before arriving in Germany i had been speaking to a frenchman.
i lived in germany for 6 months. During my stay, i visited the aforementioned frenchman several times in France as well as his several visits to Germany to visit me.
In april, my sister's husband was killed in iraq.
We (myself, my sister, and her three children) flew back to the U.S. to arrange the funeral, etc. Afterwards, my sister and myself flew back to Germany to pack her household goods and personal items to be shipped back to the U.S.
Before going back to the U.S., i realized that i did not want to return to the U.S. to live. This was very clear to me. While in the U.S., during the funeral period, i decided that i was indeed NOT going back to the U.S. to live.

The frenchman and i have considered implementing the PACS as we have no intention of getting married. We are hoping this will help in so much as opening doors for potential visa/residency oppotunities.

I am aware of the visa de long séjour, carte de séjour, visa de court séjour, Carte de séjour temporaire "Visiteur", visa d'études, Carte de séjour d'étudiant, and Authorization provisoire de travail but the real problem is obtaining a work visa without having a job through an international/U.S. based firm or company....which i would have to get in the United States anyhow.
I've considered the student visa and then getting a work visa by being a student......however the drawback is that the work visa allows the student only 20 hours a week,

Question for you.........do you have either an Irish or Italian family background?

By that I mean, do you have either a parent or grandparent born is either country, if you do......there is a chance for you to obtain citizenship, which in tunr allows you to live and work in the EU (including France).

It is a long process, but well worthwhile......however,it all hinges on the initial question?

Cheers.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

autonomo is an unknown quantity at this point

no family background of italian or irish. the largest part of my ethnic background is native american indian on both sides.....
and a little french, coincidentally, but the french is generations back.
my sister spoke of what you mentioned before, we looked into it and it's not possible with the information i have about my family. thanks though.
i have an appointment with someone in charge of certain language classes in the university here to see about taking university semester classes beginning in september. if that's the case what i will probably do is fly back to the states and get a job for a few months to save up money and take care of some other affairs and then fly back in time to begin classes.

what i should also do while in the states is go to the embassy and apply for a long term tourist visa.."visa de long séjour" which is the visa i can get as long as i show means of financial security to prove i wont be a drain on the state, etc. and get some international health insurance.

it's possible to have the PACS with someone here in France even though im temporarily living and working in the states. from what ive been told, its also possible that after a year of having the PACS i am allowed to apply for residency. this doesnt necessarily mean i will get it, but i am at least allowed to apply and have it looked over.

with a student visa, a visa de long sejour, a PACS, and a temporary work visa from the student visa, maybe i can figure/work something out.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Clueless Yank is on a distinguished road

I'm also a US citizen but my wife never got her US citizenship (thank goodness) and is still a French citizen. Does anyone know how easy it would be for me to become a French citizen?
Old Apr 16th 2005, 5:13 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clueless Yank
I'm also a US citizen but my wife never got her US citizenship (thank goodness) and is still a French citizen. Does anyone know how easy it would be for me to become a French citizen?
Maybe possible.

Spouses of French citizens can normally become French quite easily, although it may be required to speak French. This page is designed for Australians but may be applicable to Americans also:
http://www.southern-cross-group.org/...ip/france.html

The US allows dual citizenship, as does France with only a few exceptions. http://www.richw.org/dualcit/ is a good unofficial resource.

Jeremy
Old Jul 10th 2005, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

whitewitchjs is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you have an admirable goal!

But the best advice I can offer is to tell you to stay in the USA for a year, earn money and learn to speak French fluently! Even in Paris to get any kind of job you must speak French. Once you have the language skills, many US companies based in Paris or elsewhere in France will probably have openings. Having a degree would also help. Even an Associates Degree perhaps in computer science.

Jobs in France aren't easy to find, pay is very low, and working on the black is not a great way to live. The penalties are high if you are caught.

WW
Old Jul 11th 2005, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by autonomo
no family background of italian or irish. the largest part of my ethnic background is native american indian on both sides.....
and a little french, coincidentally, but the french is generations back.
my sister spoke of what you mentioned before, we looked into it and it's not possible with the information i have about my family. thanks though.
i have an appointment with someone in charge of certain language classes in the university here to see about taking university semester classes beginning in september. if that's the case what i will probably do is fly back to the states and get a job for a few months to save up money and take care of some other affairs and then fly back in time to begin classes.

what i should also do while in the states is go to the embassy and apply for a long term tourist visa.."visa de long séjour" which is the visa i can get as long as i show means of financial security to prove i wont be a drain on the state, etc. and get some international health insurance.

it's possible to have the PACS with someone here in France even though im temporarily living and working in the states. from what ive been told, its also possible that after a year of having the PACS i am allowed to apply for residency. this doesnt necessarily mean i will get it, but i am at least allowed to apply and have it looked over.

with a student visa, a visa de long sejour, a PACS, and a temporary work visa from the student visa, maybe i can figure/work something out.
native like perhaps a slave to french huguenots? there is a lot of your names that back track to french ! trust me i lokked into it

PACS seems a good move thats good for men/women men/men women/women legal here but not the marriage bit but who gives a ??????????

PACS is complicated though and whats not in france?

i cant offer help I can only hope someone can give you the fast-track you desire