TVA on ome improvements

Wikiposts

TVA on ome improvements

Old Jun 8th 2013, 6:38 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TVA on ome improvements

Can someone simply explain the TVA in France please? We are looking at purchasing a house, and completing the work ourselves, ie new kitchen, bathrooms etc. I understand the TVA of 5.5% can be gained on installed kitchens. How does this work if we buy and complete the installation ourselves?
Old Jun 8th 2013, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TVA on ome improvements

Originally Posted by jvc
Can someone simply explain the TVA in France please? We are looking at purchasing a house, and completing the work ourselves, ie new kitchen, bathrooms etc. I understand the TVA of 5.5% can be gained on installed kitchens. How does this work if we buy and complete the installation ourselves?
As far as I know - you wouldn't qualify.
You need to have the installation by a registered installer/joiner.
You might find that there is not much difference in getting someone to install it for you.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 7:22 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
You don't get it, TVA reductions are gained by using enterprises to do the work as are Credit de impot's.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 6:01 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Chatter static....I know that, I am just wondering the best way forward, whether to complete the installations of the bathrooms and kitchens ourselves, or get an artisan in, and gain the TVA reduction.
Old Jun 8th 2013, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
That is not what your original post said.
The answer to your original question is that you don't get it.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jvc
TVA of 5.5%
Just a reminder that it's no longer 5.5% but 7%, and the installation must be done by a professional. The house has to be over two years old and the kitchen cannot be free-standing, but fixed to the walls and floor.
The reason the work has to be done by a professional is to combat le travail au noir, or moonlighting. If you do the installation yourself, VAT will be 19,6%
Old Jun 9th 2013, 12:26 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Peabrain, that is very helpful. Excuse me being a little thick here, but whenis the TVA paid? Is that at the time of purchasing a kitchen (be it from Castorama or an artisan) or is this classed as home improvements on your tax bill?
Also, what is the best way of finding local artisans who are reputable? Can the Marie help as word of mouth doesn't come up with many results?
Old Jun 9th 2013, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Just a reminder that it's no longer 5.5% but 7%, and the installation must be done by a professional. The house has to be over two years old and the kitchen cannot be free-standing, but fixed to the walls and floor.
The reason the work has to be done by a professional is to combat le travail au noir, or moonlighting. If you do the installation yourself, VAT will be 19,6%
Don't tell my plumber that - he is still invoicing at 5.5!
Old Jun 9th 2013, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
Thanks Peabrain, that is very helpful. Excuse me being a little thick here, but whenis the TVA paid? Is that at the time of purchasing a kitchen (be it from Castorama or an artisan) or is this classed as home improvements on your tax bill?
Also, what is the best way of finding local artisans who are reputable? Can the Marie help as word of mouth doesn't come up with many results?
Best way is word of mouth. If you can lock in to the local artisan network, they will generally pass another's details on only if that chap is good. Unfortunately, not all the artisans are great, but in my experience most of them are knowledgeable and very capable. But rarely cheap - after all they have the decennnale to consider. Our heating engineer charged what appeared a fortune for our boiler and radiators - but they are all absolutely top quality items. And we are finding, as we have also used him to put in the main bathroom, and replumb one of the others, that when we need to call him out to fix some of the residual problems of the bricoleur who owned the house before that we are not charged a sou. "You are my client" he says, "all part of the service". Needless to say, we are likeley to be clients for life, with service like that.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jvc
I had a new fitted kitchen installed a couple of years ago and VAT on the actual kitchen plus labour, but excluding electrical equipment (dishwasher, oven, etc) was charged at 5.5% (at that time). On the IKEA website, they say that if you buy a kitchen from them, you pay 19.6% VAT up front, have it fitted by one of their artisans, and you then claim the difference between 19.6% and 7% back from IKEA. It doesn't figure on one's tax forms. I used a local kitchen supplier, more expensive, but with good artisans, some of whom I already knew.

As for finding a reliable artisan, I doubt very much whether the Mairie would be willing to help; the baker might though, or in my case, the estate agent I bought the house from. But once you've found a good artisan, you'll be able to use his network of fellow corps de métiers and you'll be away. I'm delighted with my little 'team', though as Bigglesworth says, they tend not to come cheap. "Crisis? Wot crisis?"
Old Jun 9th 2013, 3:11 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jvc
Chatter static....I know that, I am just wondering the best way forward, whether to complete the installations of the bathrooms and kitchens ourselves, or get an artisan in, and gain the TVA reduction.
To be honest that would depend on how handy with tools you are, also what route with you home you are going up in that in ten years in France in have only been in one finished house that was owned by an English lady every other house is an ongoing renovation ours included but we have just bought this one

Moving north has completely changed how I view French artisans all the ones we have used have done as they said they would and done the jobs nicely. But they don't come cheaply as mentioned but watching four men rewire our new house in two weeks was blissful the heart ache it saved was unquestionable.

My pet hate is French plumbers not leaving pipework all shiny, If it's visible I expect it to be attractive and not burnt to a cider and left.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static

My pet hate is French plumbers not leaving pipework all shiny, If it's visible I expect it to be attractive and not burnt to a cider and left.
Burnt to a cider??? No wonder i prefer beer....

Its because they braze instead of soldering the pipes You can clean the pipes after the work is done but it will always be blackish. I don't do either anymore, I crimp the fittings nowadays

Anyway getting back to the original post, the TVA will be going up in 2014. 19.6% will rise to 20 and the 7% to 10%.

Merci Mr Holland

Last edited by le plumber; Jun 12th 2013 at 7:41 am.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 8:34 am
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by le plumber
Burnt to a cider??? No wonder i prefer beer....

Its because they braze instead of soldering the pipes You can clean the pipes after the work is done but it will always be blackish. I don't do either anymore, I crimp the fittings nowadays

Anyway getting back to the original post, the TVA will be going up in 2014. 19.6% will rise to 20 and the 7% to 10%.

Merci Mr Holland
Sticky N Brazing can be shiny to as copper does not get discoloured all the way through and if it's all clean and tidy the slight colour variation in the braze mix looks even better. It's a bit like wiping ones lead/tin/silver drips off with steel wool looks lots nicer.
Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

le plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond reputele plumber has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Sticky N Brazing can be shiny to as copper does not get discoloured all the way through and if it's all clean and tidy the slight colour variation in the braze mix looks even better. It's a bit like wiping ones lead/tin/silver drips off with steel wool looks lots nicer.
Sticky O too Getting brazing 'tidy' isn't easy unless brazing with silver and even then its not a patch on soldering (as you say as long as you wipe off any excess drops). If you can braze and get the same result as soldering then theres a job for you here if you want
Old Jun 12th 2013, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Le plumber,
Just seen your signature.
Hope you're not into solitaire........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.