TV again ...

Old Feb 11th 2011, 6:37 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default TV again ...

... UK TV no probs via satellite and Humax freesat recorder. Used to have French TV via aerial in former house, now looking to do so again, via aerial. System has changed (digital)e it appears and now looking to use Metronic box with UK sourced LCD TV. Eventually I want to put up second satellite dish, either using same box, or even old SKY freesat box, if it works. What choices and what is best satellite to get French channels? Searched threads, but nothing recent.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV again ...

I'd be interested too in any info for the new house; thanks in advance; sorry not to be a giver of info cjm
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:19 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

No probs, let's hope we get some good info.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Look into fitting a 2nd NLB - the bit that points onto the dish - as an alternative to a 2nd dish..
This will save you fitting a 2nd dish.
You need to ask an installer.
Used to know about this pre-digital but I am not really up-to-date on it now.
There are magazines that give you all the info i.e. where to tune to receive the satellites and what channels are on what transponders and what the tuning details are.
I am sure that others will be up to speed on this.
Have a browse on the spanish forum where I am sure that it will be a regular topic.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:02 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks cyrian, the UK satellite needs double co-ax input into receiver for full functionallity. I have one co-ax at present with a 'loop-thru' that limits functionality. So UK TV sorted. It's the French TV i'd like to square.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 9:38 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a Fransat Digital Box, http://www.fransat.fr/index.htm

Add a second dish and point it at ATLANTIC BIRD™ 3 à 5° West that way you get Hd and all the French Regional channels as well. It's the French Version of Freesat but you have to get an approved Fransat box as it is supplied with a card "No Subscription fees" You cant really add a second LNB to your current set up as Atlantic Bird is too far round from Astra.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote You cant really add a second LNB to your current set up as Atlantic Bird is too far round from Astra.
That will be right. When I had my multi-satellite system the french channels were on a different satellite but I remember that it was a long was on the horizon from Astra (Sky).
Who needs a magazine when you have Ka Ora
I also had just one co-ax feed to my sky+ box with limited function but I got a 2nd co-ax from the existing LNB installed and I get full operation for the multi recording facilities now.

regards
Old Feb 12th 2011, 11:42 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys, I checked in the Bricomarche today as I was buying some wood and Fransat box is €119, an alternative make was the same price. Cheaper than my Humax. Metronic box indicates it gets the 19 channels, but guess reception won't be as good as with satellite rather than aerial.
Double coax via roof is next job for the UK TV after finishing plasterboarding, so will report back in due course.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by cjm
Thanks guys, I checked in the Bricomarche today as I was buying some wood and Fransat box is €119, an alternative make was the same price. Cheaper than my Humax. Metronic box indicates it gets the 19 channels, but guess reception won't be as good as with satellite rather than aerial.
Double coax via roof is next job for the UK TV after finishing plasterboarding, so will report back in due course.
Just make sure you walk away with a Fransat Satellite Box, As Bricowazzoks are very good at selling people TNT boxes when they dont need or cant use them.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Martin Parker will become famous soon enough

I have just added a second LNB to a friends dish as there was a problem with her having a second dish.

80 cm dish pointing at Astra 2D - 28.2 degs for the freesat channels and the other LNB pointing at Astra 1 - 19.1 degs for the French channels

Yes, you have to buy a TNT box, complete with card, but the free channels are still available without paying a subscription. I found a TNT box in Weldom on special offer at €89.

The subscription card that comes in the box has a four year life before it has to be renewed. Not sure if there is a cost to renew or not. May be like sky that charge you £29 for a card to receive the "free" channels!!

Just an option to avoid having a second dish. I used a bracket sourced from Pulsat in the UK

Universal dual LNB bracket

It needed a little bit of adaptation to fit the brico satellite dish, but nothing to difficult and its working fine.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Martin Parker
I have just added a second LNB to a friends dish as there was a problem with her having a second dish.

80 cm dish pointing at Astra 2D - 28.2 degs for the freesat channels and the other LNB pointing at Astra 1 - 19.1 degs for the French channels

Yes, you have to buy a TNT box, complete with card, but the free channels are still available without paying a subscription. I found a TNT box in Weldom on special offer at €89.

The subscription card that comes in the box has a four year life before it has to be renewed. Not sure if there is a cost to renew or not. May be like sky that charge you £29 for a card to receive the "free" channels!!

Just an option to avoid having a second dish. I used a bracket sourced from Pulsat in the UK

Universal dual LNB bracket

It needed a little bit of adaptation to fit the brico satellite dish, but nothing to difficult and its working fine.
Didnt know you could use Astra 19.5 with the decoder as I thought it was limited to Canal and Orange. But that does mean a dual LNB will work Im a little confused on how a TNT Box works plugged into a Satellite dish.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Martin Parker will become famous soon enough

Well spotted!!

What I actually meant was a CanalSat box not the TNT. Sorry, must learn to type slower!! You are correct in saying that you cannot use a digital terrestrial decoder with a satellite dish. The rest was correct, just the wrong decoder box mentioned.

If you are in a digital terrestrial TV area, then that has to be the easiest way of receiving the French channels, instead of installing extra satellite equipment.

Check the digital TV coverage in your area here The digital TV network is set to be completed by November this year.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:29 pm

Well spotted!!

What I actually meant was a CanalSat box not the TNT. Sorry, must learn to type slower!! You are correct in saying that you cannot use a digital terrestrial decoder with a satellite dish. The rest was correct, just the wrong decoder box mentioned.

If you are in a digital terrestrial TV area, then that has to be the easiest way of receiving the French channels, instead of installing extra satellite equipment.

Check the digital TV coverage in your area here The digital TV network is set to be completed by November this year.
TNT areas are like 3G areas in France not here, over a hill or three.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 12:39 pm

Well spotted!!

Fransat and TNTsat appear to be two different services on the surface mind same channels potentially slightly different decoder codes as both are encrypted and of course different Satellites.

TNTsat

http://www.tntsat.tv/Recevoir-la-tnt-par-satellite.htm

Fransat

http://www.fransat.fr/
Old Feb 16th 2011, 1:22 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Well, completed switch from single LNB to double for the Humax to get full functionality. Reception good via satellite to the Astra 2. Next job is to try the Metronic digital/terrestrial 'adapteur'. Box advertises TFI, 2, 3, Canal+, 5, 6, arte, Direct 8, W9, TMC, NTV?, NRJ, Public, 4, BFM 1tele, Virgin, gull, poss plus TPS Star andParis Premiere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.