Trailer sizes

Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:03 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trailer sizes

Originally Posted by jvc
They said I need to contact my dealership????? What on eart does it have to do with them....
I thought in my post #6 that the trailer store should advise you on what's necessary if the trailer is above the norm for Permis B, so I'm not surprised that the Préfecture is telling you to contact your car dealership. Did they use the term "concessionnaire"? You might be advised to buy the no-more-than-750kg size to save all this hassle! Another
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I thought in my post #6 that the trailer store should advise you on what's necessary if the trailer is above the norm for Permis B, so I'm not surprised that the Préfecture is telling you to contact your car dealership. Did they use the term "concessionnaire"? You might be advised to buy the no-more-than-750kg size to save all this hassle! Another
I do not agree, I think the préfecture probably does not know the 'rules'.
They are just thinking the normal French limit is 750kg.
So, why should the OP buy a 750kgs max when I assume with his UK license he is entitled to a much greater capacity?
It would appear that the OP knows the law better than the préfecture and the dealer, which does not surprise me.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 10:11 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
I do not agree, I think the préfecture probably does not know the 'rules'.
They are just thinking the normal French limit is 750kg.
So, why should the OP buy a 750kgs max when I assume with his UK license he is entitled to a much greater capacity?
It would appear that the OP knows the law better than the préfecture and the dealer, which does not surprise me.
OP She = her
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 2:46 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel sure that not a single dealership in France would know my status concerning licences, and what I can drive. They WOULD know my limits weight wise with a particular vehicle, as would the any shop selling me the remorque. This IS a prefecture issue for sure, or at the very least something my assurance could help with. After all, when I was stopped on a routine check and they queried my UK licence, the prefecture confirmed it was fine until it lapsed,or until such a time I was caught speeding. I could even contact the DVLA, but tbh they will still only deal with issues in the UK and will not know french law. In my eyes if I have a motoring issue on french roads my first point of contact is the prefecture!
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
OP She = her
My apologies to jvc
Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Dougalart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by audio
Yes as far as I know, just drive it away. I bought mine from a dealer to tow my mini tractor around, he did all the paperwork for the carte grise, this was 7 or 8 years ago so better check with your local prefecture. You do not need insurance for a remorque. I used to in case it was nicked but it became rather expensive. Hopefully someone else more up to date than me will advise here soon.
Tip: practice reversing in your garden before you venture out in tight places
Regarding trailers. Your insurance company will give you a seperate green windscreen sticker if you want to tow up to 750Kg (No Cart Gris required)
If you have a prang and you didnt tell your insurance about the trailer you will not be covered! Above 750kg You will have to have a Contol technique (MOT) Cart Gris, and pay extra for Insurance.
Dougalart
Brittany
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:30 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point

OK thanks. I have bought a 500 kg trailer now, and have notified out insurance company. They have not advised me of a green sticker though?? I will check.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Dougalart is an unknown quantity at this point

As long as the trailer is mentioned on your 'green card' you won't get hassled by the police.
Wulfrun
Brittany
Old Jul 6th 2014, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dougalart
As long as the trailer is mentioned on your 'green card' you won't get hassled by the police.
Wulfrun
Brittany
The only green cards I know are the insurance cards in France and residency cards in the USA.
I also cannot find a reference to the regulation for a control tech. a carte grise yes but CT??
Can you explain please?

Last edited by audio; Jul 6th 2014 at 7:32 am.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Trailers above 500kg need their own carte grise and seaprate insurance not 750kg, that is the weight at which they need brakes.

A french B licence permits a combo of up to 3500kg subject to certain tractor train weight relationships.

This explains it very clearly.

http://www.activehorsetransports.com...n_remorque.pdf

Last edited by Im_and_Er; Jul 6th 2014 at 8:44 am.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dougalart
Regarding trailers. Your insurance company will give you a seperate green windscreen sticker if you want to tow up to 750Kg (No Cart Gris required)
If you have a prang and you didnt tell your insurance about the trailer you will not be covered! Above 750kg You will have to have a Contol technique (MOT) Cart Gris, and pay extra for Insurance.
Dougalart
Brittany
LEGISLATION ROUTIERE DES REMORQUES JUSQUE 3500 KG DE PTAC TRACTEES PAR UN VEHICULE DE CATEGORIE B.
Le minimum qu’il faut savoir !

1- Généralités :

11- Une remorque dont le PTAC est inférieur ou égal à 500 kg reçoit la même immatriculation que le véhicule tracteur.
12- A partir de 501 kg de PTAC, la remorque possède sa propre carte grise, donc, un numéro d’immatriculation spécifique qui fait l’objet d’une assurance particulière.
13- Les remorques sont obligatoirement équipées d’un dispositif de freinage à partir de 751 kg de PTAC.
14- Toute remorque non freinée doit être tractée par un véhicule dont le poids à vide fait au moins le double du PTAC de la remorque.
15- Les remorques ne sont actuellement pas assujetties au contrôle technique.
16- Ces dispositions ne sont valables uniquement que pour la France.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, I forgot the insurance regs.
(google translate)
5 - Insurance:

There are 3 levels of essential coverages:
Third: To the extent that the trailer is declared to insurance, only damage to a third party are covered.
All risks: damage to a third party, those suffered by the trailer are covered after deduction of any deductible.
Transported objects: Unless specific contract, they never covered immediately.
Notes : It should be in all cases, be familiar with the terms of his contract: the insurance of the towing vehicle does not automatically guarantee the same level on the trailer.

6 - Reserves :

These details are provided for information purposes given the ongoing evolution of French legislation. They apply to vehicles of category B (GVW less than or equal to 3500 kg.)
It is essential to learn in advance about the laws in other countries in order to avoid any inconvenience regulatory order.

Document is not contractual and informational purposes.