Is it time?

Old Dec 22nd 2012, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

3 dog night is on a distinguished road
Default Is it time?

The weathers really starting to close in around about now, the fire's /wood burners are used daily, and the T.V. gets more use than ever, And its around about here that you notice the rip off via the T.V. program providers are giving,
time after time year after year we're given the same programs until they're coming out of your ears, ie Only fools and horses has been flogged to death yet its on every day, last of the summer again for to many repeats, i could name more and more, And dont get me wrong ive been a great fan of both these series but "Enough is enough"
When are these T.V. program providers going to give us something new, ???

If it'll help No more cooking programs, No more X factor type programs, No more come dine with me stuff,

We've a big world out there can't we have more of something different!

Its no wonder strictly come dancing is a big hit, get rid of Bruce Forsythe or get him some new gag writers and even he may be more entertaining, his jokes and sayings are way out of date and we've heard them all back in the 60's,
It would be nice to see the back of him, "Nice to see you to see you not so nice"
Give the job to Terry Woggan.

Ant and decs Im a celeb, has become so predictable, we have the huge "cant hardly move bossy cook" who doe's little but has a lot to say,
The played out celeb, who goes off half way through due to ill health,

The celeb, we've never heard of pre coming on the show,

The celeb who can't eat any bugs and brings no stars back "hence no food"
The celeb who either snores or farts!
And the one who has a to be seen in a swim gear in the pound with gross boobs, (thank god for that at least)

I think the only reason this program has good viewing is because we've seen all the only fools/last of: & we've nothing else to tune into.

Whats your view (excuse the pun) on what ive said?
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is it time?

It is nearly 15 years since I owned television. In my opinion it is a mind numbing waste of time and there are far more interesting things to do with one's time.

My view is, since you are asking - THROW IT OUT AND GET A LIFE!
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hi cupoftea,
Thanks for your reply,
I do agree that a lot of people see to much tele, But i take it your able to do a lot of moving around,?

What about those who have to lay in hospital beds? who have children and on a day like we're having "rain/cold enough to stay indoors, and the adults who could see history being made via sight "ie 9/11 buildings being hit by the planes, the floods in the uk we're a lot of ex-pats may have once lived, are you saying get a life and miss seeing these events for real "the camera never lies" and by seeing the real happenings you know its no pretend story but the real thing.

Choice in life is a good thing and the tv can at least let parents know where their children are rather than them being out on the streets learning god knows what, Or becoming prey to who knows what.

So before you say get a life maybe just maybe it would be a better thing to say you decided to not have a tv for 15 years, "thats your choice & good on you,
I dare say you feel good not looking at a screen all day!
Is your PC not screened then?"

But if the choice of others is to have a TV. is'nt it their choice to expect to have a good selection of "New" programs and not the same old stuff day in day out?

Of cause we all have a choice both you not having a TV and those of us that do have a TV have the choice to use the on/off knob.
Many of my ex- mates because of military duties spend a lot of time sitting or laying and watching tv, These people really did have a life like a lot of people never get to know about, Sport, adventure, war, pain and no going back come into mind.
And i thank god these people at least can have some form of "shall we say mind off the situation they're now in" by watching TV.

I can assure cupoftea, Both they and myself have had and will continue to have a life.
Thanks for your reply and have a merry christmas
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

You asked for a view and I gave it. There are many ways to get informed, to educate and entertain our children, to engage with society, to occupy ourselves, to learn, spend time with people and enjoy ourselves WITHOUT TV! Each to their own, if people want it and enjoy it, then fair enough, but it is like any other habit, once you give it up you realise how much space becomes available and then find out how many other things there are available to fill the space.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hi cupoftea,
Your correct, education , friends, learning, all of these things are "As you've said good,
But what about the old people who are scared to go out during the dark, and as ive said the people who are bed ridden for both long & short periods,
Would'nt you agree that for some of these people the television can be their only form of company!

Would you want them to not have this pleasure afterall they're not hurting anyone and if you've just been in an accident or a victim of war and you dont have the use of your limbs what are they to do?
If we can bring back some form of normality isnt that what you'd want for them?

On Tuesday 25th i & my wife will spend half the day at the S.P.A centre for dogs, Just helping out with feeding , walkies of those dogs that will let us walk them, and the cleaning out, we're not the only ones who will be there and one or two are older than myself and live alone, they're not very talkative people but they're hearts in the right place and i know that they're idea of being safe of an evening is to lock the door and settle down to the televsion,
I'd say these people have a life, they are educated people,
If they'd give up the TV, i feel they'd feel very much alone.
My point ref the subject was lets have some of the old "repeated daily & weekly "stuff taken off and replaced with new topics and more educated programs, more informative programs that we all can learn off,
And im sure those who can only use their eyes and ears are pleased to have a tv to help the long hours pass a little faster.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

I don't really care terribly much what choices people make. You asked for a view and I gave you mine. Each to their own.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 8:51 am
Account Closed

balding_potter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cupoftea
I don't really care terribly much what choices people make. You asked for a view and I gave you mine. Each to their own.
So, Mr GrumpyChops cup 'o' tea, is this really necessary? As it happens, I don't have a TV either, and haven't had for many, many years. But 3 Dog was talking about the lack of quality on TV, not whether it's a mortal sin to own one. And I'm sure he's right - programming is undoubtedly wearing a bit thin for those who do enjoy the box. It was getting that way when I last owned one - way, way back, and I don't suppose it's got any better.

Enjoining people to 'get a life' is not indicative of 'each to their own', by the way. It's proto-fascist.

So there. Nuh.

Allez, 3 Dog! Chapeau!

B_P
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 9:56 am
Just Joined

typhoo is an unknown quantity at this point

When back in UK, we were both working silly shifts and didn't get a great deal of time to watch telly. But, since being in France (particularly during the winter months) we watch waaaay too much. Don't complain tho, cos we pay nothing towards it i.e.no fees...................
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Hi typhoo,
I know where your coming from ref working to many hours, we both did the same and as ive said it takes guts to say lets move and see if we can make it work,
8 years here now and we've met all kinds of people and seen all kinds return to the uk to go back to working long hours "But the jobs they left 9 times out of 10 have gone, the homes they sold are now twice the price they sold them for and life in general wont be easy,

Hence the Tele and my opening page, even free tv can get a bit dull when you've seen it all before, like you two we enjoy the garden and the long summers france has to offer,
We did live in mid wales back in the uk and it was very green but as any gardener will tell you to have a lot of green land scape you need a lot of rain and that side of wales we dont miss one little bit,

At least here we do get a summer and the winters are shorter This and the fact we have very little crime around Aigurande makes our life very nice and a pleasure to live here "But when we decided to pack up and say good bye to the uk we didnt know what was around the corner and this is the gamble all ex-pats take,
Those who get past the two year stage and are still happy and remember where they came from and why they wanted to be here will im sure understand what im talking about when i say we made the right choice but it has its ups & downs ie you have to ask yourself if my partner wasnt here anymore would i still want to be here? And if the answer is yes and you dont have a big list of friends as a lot of older people dont would your tv play a part in your life?
and the winter is the time the tele is watched more than anyother time "hence it would be nice to see different programs rather than repeats"
But to be honest we offten say to each other "thank god we dont have to do those long hours "shifts" anymore infact winter is a nice time to be by the fire reading or just enjoying talking about our next project ref making the house /garden better for next year.

As ive said if you can get about you can do without a tele as cupoftea rightly says but for those who need the company of the tv ! I think it would be nice if they had a lot less repeated stuff.

Anyway typhoo "I hope you did your garden path with the used roof tiles"
And i hope you have a nice christmas & 2013,
PS; just for a laugh do you set the alarm clock for a reminder of getting up for the shift 6am til 2pm
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

typhoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe we/I don't feel the telly issue too badly as we have (practically) the full sky package. I suppose it depends on what takes your fancy. We like the programmes you don't, e.g."Jungle" "Strictly" "The Voice" "CDWM" "X-Factor, (till it got silly and stoopid Rylan got kept in over Elle, yip proves we really do watch it haha) etc and NEVER watch soaps. We watch a lot on Discovery, and endless repeats of HIGNFY and a lot more on Dave, never tire of them. So, like I said, it's maybe what floats your boat so to speak.

Yip the 6 am started was a right bummer (especially when it was 12 hour shifts ) and OH worked nights. No life whatsoever.......

Re path, yes we did it, but the tiles were hard as pig iron. Trying to smash them up was a flaming nightmare especially in 30 degree temps. Looks ok, but I never walk on it

Anyway, gorgeous weather here to-day (and really mild!) just back from walking the dogs and bonjouring a couple of neighbours. Saw 2 cars and 1 tractor in an hour - bliss.

4.5 years now, and wouldn't change it (unless it gets to -25 again and end up with 20+ leaks after a thaw ) Shortest day has passed, roll on the spring!

Have a wonderful Christmas and hope 2013 is all everyone wishes for xx
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Typhoo,
Just a quick reply,
ref your tiles, you didnt do what i said "put them in the mixer along with a few hard rocks or bricks and let the rocks do the smashing up

Like you we're doggy lovers (got 4 rescue ones) and thats the only thing ref going to the s.p.a. You see so many lovely little & big dogs that have had no life thanks to people not understanding what any animal needs love food and walkies "lots" of them and they also poop every day and it needs removing, that and the vets every now & then, do these few things and you've a friend for life, you want to see ours, all different, and all came from bad homes yet not one of them would do you any harm.

Ref shift work, did you do 2pm-til- 10pm shift? That was the one i hated most,
you we're waking up waiting to go to work,
You couldnt really do much at home because the shift started at 2pm & by the time you got up and left for work the day was over.

Nights was what we called the grave yard shift, trying to sleep in the day when people had lawn mowers going or radio's blasting, The knock on the door that wouldnt stop and when you opened it it was a rep for double glazing "I did have a sign on the gate saying shift worker dont call unless urgent, but the dogs would bark at any sign of life by the gate anyway.

Thank god we did what we did and left it all behind.
Well only two days to go and you know who comes down the chimney!
the french tend to leave those blow-up Santa's hanging on the chimney all summer so no surprise there.
All the best to you and yours and the dogs
Old Dec 24th 2012, 8:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3 dog night

Whats your view (excuse the pun) on what ive said?
I would suggest watching the French TV!