Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to France for a year...

Thinking of moving to France for a year...

Old Jan 3rd 2009, 9:18 am
Just Joined

HappyHiggo is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Thinking of moving to France for a year...

Hi there all!
I have just about finished my degree and was thinking about getting away for a while. At the minute, I am leaning towards France! Mainly because I have been reading "Tender is the Night", by Scott Fitzgerald- and his depiction of the French lifestyle got me thinking, I want a piece of that! Also, I have always fancied somewhere with a bit of history and culture. Hence, France seems the ideal choice. But here is where I need your help... I haven't got the slightest clue where to start looking. I would ideally like to be near the coast, as I am a keen surfer and love spending days on the beach. But I would also like it to be a bit lively, with things to keep me occupied in the evenings. So does anyone have any place suggestions?

Also, my knowledge of French is ok but by no means fluent and I am a bit intimidated going over there alone, knowing only the rudiments of the language. So does anyone know how expensive/accessible French lessons are over there? Or of any fun ways to integrate into the community and meet new people?

I am doing a TEFL course in the next two weeks which means I will be able to teach English abroad. I will also have a BA in English Literature by the time I am jetting off- so does anyone know what the job opportunities are like for English teachers in France? And how much I could expect to earn? etc. Any other information would be great, thanks for the help.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 9:38 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to France for a year...

Hi. Unfortunately, the time to take off the Scott Fitzgerald tinted specs is now. It's hard work here. Unless you're either fluent in French, or work for yourself, it's a struggle. Even then it's difficult in the extreme at times. The beaurocracy is mind-numbing. Jobs can be found for someone TEFL'ing, I would imagine, but mainly in the more heavily populated areas. That means that living costs could be higher. Life in the more rural areas is harder. Socially and professionally. If you want to surf, then anywhere with a decent west-facing beach should be good from northern Britanny, down to Lacanau and beyond into Spain will be cool.

But, here's a link to a website that may give you the wherewithal to earn a bit of dosh, stay for free (mostly) and see the country properly, without struggling too much. Shh though, it's a secret, ok? Click here

PS - I have two boards for sale if you're interested!