Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Franc e- moved from FAQs thread

Thinking of moving to Franc e- moved from FAQs thread

Old Jul 22nd 2018, 11:00 am
Just Joined

moridichiu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Franc e- moved from FAQs thread

I tried to place a new thread under this section about moving to france/toulouse but i cannot find it.
Do i have to wait for hours to be moderated by somebody before being posted or what"s the catch.
Nevertheless, due to lack of time, i post here as reply its main topics:

Hi,

I currently work in Munchen/Germany and contemplating the idea of moving to France/Toulouse !
I need to give a fast answer so maybe some of you can give some clues what to expect so that i can take a decision:
1. Salary wise i should expect > 3500 net / month :
- the usual question: enough ?
- our daughter is close to 4 years old: what are the costs of child care and how easy is it to access it ? can we find easy a place or we have to go for private solutions and how expensive is that ?
For example in Munich is very hard to find available place in day-care(kindergartenplatz) up to age of 6years;
- rent: i have the impression that in the range of 800-900EUR cold rent we could find something nice , 3 rooms apt.
Is this realistic ? Or should i be prepared to budget more for this expense? Also what"s with taxe d"habitacion ? Should i be prepared to pay it by myself and how much could it be? 1K per year ?
- i was always puzzled how to calculate real net salary: including health/pension but also taxes;
I am using this calculator (1) to calculate the 1st net and then take this number and put it into this calculator ( 2) to get the taxes dued and therefor have a grip about the real 2nd net that actually i see yearly in my pocket. Is this correct or am i doing it wrong?
2. City safety: Munchen is quite safe, green and nice. What about Toulouse ?
3. Healthcare and access to doctors: what i find annoying to Munchen is that they simply have too few doctors.
Appointments needs to be done months in advance and even emergencies(light ones like dental/ENT/flue/some pain/headaches/dermatology etc.) are treated lightly are more or less ignored up to a certain point. I call this access to doctors.
How is the situation in Toulouse ? Is it easy to go with preventive/regular checks or everything is so crowded that unless you have a big problem you will not manage to see a doctor.
4. French language: i already have a basic vocabulary, like B1, but the usual words describing day activities and not the formal bureaucratic type. Is this enough to go by ?

What else should i be aware about ? Additional expenses ?
Thank you for getting to this point with reading my post and if you are kind to give me a fast your experience would be really great!
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 2:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Franc e- moved from FAQs thread

Originally Posted by moridichiu
I tried to place a new thread under this section about moving to france/toulouse but i cannot find it.
Do i have to wait for hours to be moderated by somebody before being posted or what"s the catch.
Nevertheless, due to lack of time, i post here as reply its main topics:
Hello from New Zealand.

The above post was tacked onto the end of the FAQS thread which is for FAQS only and not for general enquiries.

I am sorry that you felt the moderator team was untimely for your needs. As volunteers we are not always at our keyboards but away in our real lives or perhaps sleeping.

As there are 3 posts./threads of a very similar nature , I will close this one and delete the other duplicate.

I do realise you felt in a hurry but sometimes patience wins the day.

regards
BEVS