Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Telephone and internet wrangle

Telephone and internet wrangle

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 1:49 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Telephone and internet wrangle

Moving house we decided to switch the ISP from FT/Orange to SFR, deal seemed good. New service began start of April, but phone and internet has been more off than on. SFR and FT bounce the issue between them, we had an SFR engineer, put new ADSL plug into phone socket; all whistles and bells. Ten minutes after leaving, all failed again. Overnight and the wee small hours it does work (sometimes). Tried Grouptest check, but unable to get reading and as in hamlet is it a traffic issue; too many on line early evening? New visit by SFR engineer now Monday and SFR called today to say FT to come out and also check the line.
One issue is, with a contract with SFR to supply phone and internet (no fixed line bill with FT as all goes via Neuf-box), how can it be our responsibility to chase FT, if SFR believe, repeat believe their Neuf-box is fine. Also, would we get hassle for cancelling contract and reverting to FT/Orange?
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Telephone and internet wrangle

I have just changed our Orange contract, we had a Livebox Pro and the bills were huge, plus FT bills on top. So I changed to a Net Plus package which seems fine and when I get round to it we will have French TV, finally! We had to have a different livebox too, the rental is cheaper so all round a good deal, . We too have had problems with the phone going off (only once so far, but a problem when you need to send a fax). The instructions say if this happens, re-boot, ie switch off the box and then switch it back on again. It is the old cliché, but, after a few minutes, it worked

Sue
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 3:35 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cjm
Moving house we decided to switch the ISP from FT/Orange to SFR, deal seemed good. New service began start of April, but phone and internet has been more off than on. SFR and FT bounce the issue between them, we had an SFR engineer, put new ADSL plug into phone socket; all whistles and bells. Ten minutes after leaving, all failed again. Overnight and the wee small hours it does work (sometimes). Tried Grouptest check, but unable to get reading and as in hamlet is it a traffic issue; too many on line early evening? New visit by SFR engineer now Monday and SFR called today to say FT to come out and also check the line.
One issue is, with a contract with SFR to supply phone and internet (no fixed line bill with FT as all goes via Neuf-box), how can it be our responsibility to chase FT, if SFR believe, repeat believe their Neuf-box is fine. Also, would we get hassle for cancelling contract and reverting to FT/Orange?
I have said it before, When you opt for degroupage and the Service is not up to par well basically your in the Poo. Your at the bottom of Orange's pile in the priority stakes and SFR dont give a hoot because their not a real telecoms company "ie They dont own much in the way of hardware its all virtual stuff"

You could try to return to Orange, I would. I take it you have the option were the copper is only used to shift the ADSL signal. So the Adsl Modem needs to be in Sync to get telephone service. This although appearing cheaper causes problems as as soon as you make a call when you can the Voip part gets priority for the bandwidth through the router. When its working do a speed test, Then make a telephone call and do a speed test whilst on the phone.

I would go back to Orange and keep the Fixed copper phone line and keep the Adsl with them as well. We keep the fixed line and have the Voip phone via the broadband as well as a Free bonus for outgoing calls. Costs a little more yes. But Orange typically fix faults sooner when one of their customers is not working.

Sue if you have opted for Voip Telephone service the chances of being able to Surf Talk on the Phone and Watch Orange TV via the Internet decoder are slim unless to in a 20 Meg plus zone.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Apr 23rd 2010 at 3:41 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Sue if you have opted for Voip Telephone service the chances of being able to Surf Talk on the Phone and Watch Orange TV via the Internet decoder are slim unless to in a 20 Meg plus zone.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am not sure but the informatique man who unravels our problems assures me that I will be able to - we will see! I need to get some more wires or some HD plugs (?) 20 Meg, I can't pretend to know what that means but I'm sure I've seen that written somewhere... so maybe! All this is way too technical for me , I have to get the kids to operate the DVD player
Old Apr 24th 2010, 4:58 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

As usual, thank Ka Ora; switching back is an option. I guess just because competition is opened up, as in UK, it doesn't mean you get the same service. Will keep you posted. I have done a Grouptest but for some reason it failed; not tried with telephone though. The Marie use FT/Orange and have a good service ... hey ho.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Bellahand is an unknown quantity at this point

A friend of mine in Paris uses Numericable (TV, Internet and Phone) for about 19.90 euros a month (!!!) - including the modem...he told me that he's never had any problems with them.

When I move to Toulouse, I think I will go with Numericable. However, another friend of mine who used to live in Marseilles told me that technically, Numericable is useless in the South of France...this strikes me as completely bizarre - why??? Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with Numericable??? If so, does anyone have any idea how long it might take to set it up with them from start to finish?
Old Apr 24th 2010, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bellahand
A friend of mine in Paris uses Numericable (TV, Internet and Phone) for about 19.90 euros a month (!!!) - including the modem...he told me that he's never had any problems with them.

When I move to Toulouse, I think I will go with Numericable. However, another friend of mine who used to live in Marseilles told me that technically, Numericable is useless in the South of France...this strikes me as completely bizarre - why??? Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with Numericable??? If so, does anyone have any idea how long it might take to set it up with them from start to finish?
Theres little to no bandwidth in the South as most of it is fed into my house

But it is bandwidth issues.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Bellahand is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been looking online for feedback on Numericable and it's bizarre. Some people seem to have had no problems with them where as others seem to have experienced very similar problems. Everything works for the first few months, 6 months or even a year or two...then suddenly, without warning, the Internet cuts...according to feedback, once there is a technical problem, this is where things go horribly wrong - some have spend hundreds on phone calls, have been left paying a bill for up to a year with no Internet and have been totally messed around. For the sake of 10 euros a month, I doubt it's worth the risk.

I'm thinking of going with Free.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Bellahand
I've been looking online for feedback on Numericable and it's bizarre. Some people seem to have had no problems with them where as others seem to have experienced very similar problems. Everything works for the first few months, 6 months or even a year or two...then suddenly, without warning, the Internet cuts...according to feedback, once there is a technical problem, this is where things go horribly wrong - some have spend hundreds on phone calls, have been left paying a bill for up to a year with no Internet and have been totally messed around. For the sake of 10 euros a month, I doubt it's worth the risk.

I'm thinking of going with Free.
The choice is yours, But I would not make it based on cost alone.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Having been bitten myself (not SFR) my advice is to stick with Orange.

They are perhaps not the cheapest but at least you are their customer and will talk to you in English which they will not if you are with a 3rd party ISP and degroupee (i.e. not paying FT for your line).
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard bad things about Free's customer support from people who have tried them (plus they have dodgy TV ads). I use Darty and they've always resolved problems right away on the rare occasions something's gone wrong.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:19 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

I have a friend uses Free and not had any problems, he likes the fact when you call him you get bird sounds as the ringing tone, but when the cockeral starts to crow the answer phone is about to kick in!
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Which just goes to show that some people are very easily pleased

Not quite a ringing endorsement of an ISP though is it
Old Apr 27th 2010, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by cjm
I have a friend uses Free and not had any problems, he likes the fact when you call him you get bird sounds as the ringing tone, but when the cockeral starts to crow the answer phone is about to kick in!
Just goes to show off with the Fairies. Bird Sounds wot a crock, That is a bit like using sodding Meerkats to sell insurance, Or use children in a Party Political Broadcast which in my opinion is wrong as neither the Meerkats or Children can sensibly comment on what they are endorsing. I bet the Meerkats are more fun to live with though.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 7:42 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Children I agree, and have you noticed the young people, especially females in the backdrop for public election events (no names, packdrill).
Usings meerkats to sell is inspirational. Sorry, use to be in that market once upon a history. How do you feel about KFC hand dunkin their chicken breasts each morning as their USP in current ad series? And the line 'delivered fresh every day'. All true, but you use the words to tell the story you want.

Still waiting SFR to turn up.Tonight got internet (hence this) but no phone. Explain that!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.