Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

TEFL in Toulouse?

TEFL in Toulouse?

Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

suninspired is a jewel in the roughsuninspired is a jewel in the roughsuninspired is a jewel in the roughsuninspired is a jewel in the roughsuninspired is a jewel in the rough
Default TEFL in Toulouse?

Hi Dennerlymum. I notice you're in Toulouse and was going to ask you in DrBert's thread but decided against hijacking.

What do you reckon the opportunties are to teach Business English (TEFL/TESOL) in Toulouse? My wife and I are looking for a complete life-change and have decided TEFL is what we're going to do. I'm a chartered accountant by profession but we've run our own businesses (completely unrelated to accounting) for the past 16 years.

From what we've read there seems to be decent demand for TEFL in the French business environment which would suit us (and is why we're avidly studying French). But which location would provide the best opportunities? Toulouse?
Old Feb 1st 2010, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TEFL in Toulouse?

how funny: I am a TEFL teacher in Toulouse. I am not clear if you are suggesting working as employed TEFL teachers or setting up a business, but Toulouse currently serves any number of companies offering TEFL to businessmen. Thus if you are suggesting teaching, there is always ready work, but I am not sure I would like to use it as a main income to support a family. The average starting hours are 10 per week; after nearly 2 years I average 15, which I top up with private lessons to kids at home. Maximum hours as a teacher are 25 per week; as a referent, which involves extra admin you can become full time ie 37 hours a week. The pay is average for France.
To start a business, you need to be aware you will be competing against all the major franchisees and many smaller companies; competition is stiff, but there is enormous demand. I would imagine this would be the case in any major city in France and many of the smaller ones; to progress in almost any company in France now, it would appear that you need to speak at least intermediate level English.

Another area that could also be filled in a business sense would be to kids; the more their parents realise how important English is for progression in France, the greater the demand; I am never without supply for my private lessons and parents ask me to teach younger and younger children!

I do hope this helps; if you have more questions just PM me
Michele
Old Feb 1st 2010, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

PS If you need a senior teacher.....
Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dennerlymum

Another area that could also be filled in a business sense would be to kids; the more their parents realise how important English is for progression in France, the greater the demand; I am never without supply for my private lessons and parents ask me to teach younger and younger children!

Just for your info, I organise the placing of foreign students who come to the UK from other european countries, especially France.

About a year ago I started negociating with a company just outside Toulouse as apparently there is A LOT of funding available to send the kids over for short stays to learn English.

The deal never happened so I don't know what the situation is now but it might be worth contacting Toulouse municipality to find out what if anything is happening on that front as they might be interested in putting some of that funding into English lessons taught by English people in Toulouse (much cheaper for them)

Just a thought
Old Feb 5th 2010, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

thx for the info; i may not do anything but I know some people who might
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

ajhurley is an unknown quantity at this point

I am in a similar position and also thought of Toulouse.

I also have a TEFL qualification, and have worked in various analsyst and controller roles for the past 7 years or so, and was hoping they would help me to find a business english teaching role.

What could one hope to earn starting off, based on the assumption you work 10 hours a week?

Is it difficult to find private lessons, as I am thinking this could be where you would earn your living?

Thanks for all replies and any other info.

Andrew
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

hi there
ok I can very easily tell you what you will earn BEFORE TAX (though I paid nothing last year on this number of hours) My company pays 10.50 per hour so at 10 hours a week you will earn around 425 euros per month + travel time and petrol time to companies not coming to our offices (anything from 25 to 50 euros a month and 1 - 2 hours per month)
The first year is usually 10 hours a week, (although if you are prepared to be available from 8 - 8 5 days a week then you will be offered up to 20 hours a week) ; in my second year I am averaging 17 hours per week on an availability of 8 - 4, 4 days a week and bring home anything between 700 and 900 euros a month +travel time and petrol + time for starting and ending course and evaluating levels over the phone - as I am now 1 step up from a general teacher.

As for private lessons there too I have had no problem what soever, though as a former infant teacher I sought after. I teach English to French children and adults, and English to English speaking under 12's. By choice I don't look hard for these lessons and pick and choose carefully, but in term time they add around another 4-5 hours a week to my income. I charge 20 euros an hour for 1-1 and then decrease accordingly for groups.

If you are serious about a move to Toulouse, then feel free to contact me just before or on arrival as the company I work for is always looking for new blood! Their pay scale is pretty much par with everyone else.

Hope this helps
Michele
Old Feb 27th 2010, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Bellahand is an unknown quantity at this point

I've only just noticed this thread...it's answered a lot of questions which I had.

@Dennerlymum: I'd be interested in finding out more about the organisation you work for. Would you be able to send some details to me in a message if you have time? How long have you been in Toulouse for?

I still don't know how I'm going to get my things from Paris to Toulouse hahaha - if anyone at all is considering the same move or even a move in the opposite direction, please get in touch as we could arrange something together!!!

Old May 4th 2010, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Lifeisacaberet is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: TEFL in Toulouse?

Hi DennerleyMum,
Thanks for all the info you have posted. I'm moving to Toulouse in the summer and have been considering doing a TEFL course as a means to get myself started in the world of work there. Could you pls also let me have details of your employer if you have the time....it would be great to have an idea where to start!
Thanks
Louise
Old May 4th 2010, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

My employer is Inlingua in Toulouse. PM me for more details; although you can find all the info you want on the net. There are many other tefl schools in Toulouse, all of which can be found in the yellow pages
Old May 4th 2010, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

Martin Parker will become famous soon enough

I have looked at this as supplementary income, but at the moment have not got time to look into it further.

What is the likely hood of a native Brit getting work teaching English without the TEFL qualification and having very scratchy French!! Quite low I would presume, but happy to be told otherwise.

I had considered taking the TEFL Toulouse course. Any comments on the course?
http://tefltoulouse.com/

If you use Twitter, there is a very active topic under #TEFL which may be useful for other points of view and different areas of the country.
Old May 5th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

well, at my company they are happy to employ Brits without a tefl course (I dont have one) as it is quite difficult to find people who are native speakers. Perhaps more important is the ability to teach - easy you may think, but I beg to differ and not all pass our induction course.

As for the French, you really don't need it as a simple teacher, however, if you move up a stage and so begin and perhaps end courses, you would need French and French good enough to explain how the course works etc (I have a friend who has reasonable French but finds this level of our job hard as she really doesn't have good enough French

The company I work for may be employing again soon.
Old May 5th 2010, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Martin Parker will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the info Dennerlymum.

Let me know if your company begins to recruit again. Only problem is that I live in the Hautes-Pyrenees, so over an hour from Toulouse, which will probably not make it financially viable.

I have no doubt that teaching is a difficult job - some probably find it comes naturally, while others have to work very hard at it. I have never taught before, except doing OJT in the forces.

Thanks again
Old May 5th 2010, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

do speculatively apply at any time; they have a base in Pau if it is any closer; quite frankly though it would not be viable for you to travel all the way to Toulouse. How about teaching from home? I am always in demand to teach locals, which I do in addition to working for Inlingua and it really isn't too difficult
Old May 5th 2010, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Lifeisacaberet is an unknown quantity at this point

dennerleymum!
Thanks a million for your quick & helpful reply. I'll have a look at the website and really appreciate the steer. Sadly I can't PM you yet as this facility isn't available to new users...1 more post & I'll be in touch....
Louise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.