Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Techs needed Urgently

Techs needed Urgently

Old Jul 28th 2012, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light
Default Techs needed Urgently

Hello to all you super clever computer people.

The storms knocked out our livebox yesterday which has now been replaced. Installed the new one but can't get online. Can use the laptop via WiFi so I know the livebox is working, but our main desktop isn't working. The message says "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. Can anyone help please?
Old Jul 28th 2012, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Techs needed Urgently

Originally Posted by smithyandlisa
Hello to all you super clever computer people.

The storms knocked out our livebox yesterday which has now been replaced. Installed the new one but can't get online. Can use the laptop via WiFi so I know the livebox is working, but our main desktop isn't working. The message says "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration. Can anyone help please?
Sorry, it is so long since I have done this but does your pc still think that it is connected to the old box?
I assume that you have followed the instructions with the new box to install with your pc.
Check your network connection in Control Panel.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

smithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of lightsmithyandlisa is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the reply. Yes, have gone through all the obvious stuff. Had a similar problem before and was advised to change the ip address which we did, (at least I think that's what I did!!) and it worked wonderfully, but not now. I love and hate computers in equal measure!
Old Jul 28th 2012, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

cmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nice

Thanks for the reply. Yes, have gone through all the obvious stuff. Had a similar problem before and was advised to change the ip address which we did, (at least I think that's what I did!!) and it worked wonderfully, but not now. I love and hate computers in equal measure!
What did you change the address to? If you changed to 192.168.1.1, that's the same as the livebox and it absolutely won't work.

Try changing the address to 'automatic' rather than a specific value.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Where's Ka Ora when he's really needed?
Old Jul 28th 2012, 6:28 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

The Livebox crashing, when connected to the PC, may have affected the PC's ability to recognise the new box connection.
You may want to go through the Internet Options in the Control Panel. Check out Connections, but you may have done all of this. What does it tell you?
If you are getting a screen message no connection, is the Desktop Internet icon also showing no connection? Error messages are not uncommon
What source root do you take to the Internet, Explorer? is Google Chrome installed? Firefox? But I think this is in the Internet Options menu.
Share a bit more if you can. The Livebox must be set up right or you would not have WiFi.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

White Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond repute

Supplemental to this thread is the following advice.
When an electrical storm is forecast, unplug all sensitive electronic equipment from the mains, as well as the incoming telephone line at the wall socket until the storm has passed. The UPS units are pretty good at intercepting spikes and surges but they are expensive. The cheap surge protectors incorporated into a multi-adaptor extension lead are next to useless.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 6:40 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

SmithyandLisa, as you have Internet access do a search with the problem. I found this - edited -
Connect a PC/Laptop ethernet/LAN socket to the RED ethernet port of the livebox. Then open a browser on the PC and type in the URL http://192.168.1.1 and the control panel of the livebox will appear. Enter username and password both as admin to enter the CP. Once you are in go to services/internet (or similar) then enter the Orange username (starts with fti/) and Orange password for the connection, both should be on the Orange paperwork. Click configurer and the livebox should connect. If the @ light on the livebox is flashing it's trying to connect, if the @ light is constantly on it has connected. Now test by trying to surf the internet. If you need to connect wi-fi to the livebox don't forget to press the pairing button on the underside of the livebox.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 6:56 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Have you been on site?
http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/su...ersonal/232435
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Where's Ka Ora when he's really needed?
Florida
Old Jul 28th 2012, 7:37 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cyrian
Florida
No laptop? No WiFi? Must be important.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all those who offered advice.

I actually discovered that communication via the ethernet cable was not possible. We had a spare cable, so tried that but "rien".

Went to Super U and bought a WiFi adaptor. Job done. Works like a treat, and one less big white cable to look at.

Once again, thanks to you all.
Old Aug 9th 2012, 12:26 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all those who offered advice.

I actually discovered that communication via the ethernet cable was not possible. We had a spare cable, so tried that but "rien".

Went to Super U and bought a WiFi adaptor. Job done. Works like a treat, and one less big white cable to look at.

Once again, thanks to you all.
No worries, we all need help from each other and I very much include myself in that. Good surfing.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

The command line utility ipconfig can be used in such circumstances.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

Sometimes though the quickest answer to these sort of connection problems, both ethernet and WiFi, is to use the Device Manager to uninstall the relevant adapter then reboot. Windows will automatically reinstall it but in the process it will have forgotten any previous connections and settings which are often the cause of connection problems.