Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Teaching Opportunities

Teaching Opportunities

Old Dec 5th 2016, 9:24 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching Opportunities

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Not sure the OP wants to set up an association - I think the idea is more as a money-earner...
I don't think so, either, but pf suggested using the local village hall and I just wanted to point out everything involved....
Old Dec 5th 2016, 4:09 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Not sure the OP wants to set up an association - I think the idea is more as a money-earner...
hmmm. I knew of several dentists that set up associations to run their dental courses through. I have no idea what was involved or how they made money but you can bet they did indeed make money somewhere out of this. Maybe if you have another business, it is a way of writing off expenses that might take you out of convention collective for tax purposes for the other business. Don't know but it is done.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Chti Anglais is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a friend who is a UK qualified primary school teacher. We've lost touch in the last 3 or 4 years but up until then she was hired part-time (15-20 hours per week from memory) as an English teacher in 3 or 4 primary schools in our region of Pas de Calais. Her UK teacher qualifications were directly transferable so that she was paid at teacher rate not assistant. Her French wasn't that good at the time, however the requirement was that she speak as little French as possible with the children in class time. Her French did improve markedly by contact with the other teachers which was a much appreciated (by her) by-product of the job.

Another friend's French wife, not qualified as a teacher but with excellent English was employed in her children's Catholic primary school to teach English but paid partly in kind (school fees reduction) and partly as an assistant.

These jobs are scarce I know but it's worth keeping your eyes and ears open and unless the rules have changed, your teaching qualifications may still be useful.

Good luck

Last edited by Chti Anglais; Dec 6th 2016 at 8:39 am. Reason: ,
Old Dec 6th 2016, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luckycarrot
Sorry I've lost the plot on who I've replied to and im struggling on my iPhone! But can I say a big thank you to everyone who has made comments on this thread. I've learned more in here in the last day than I could find anywhere else! What a great bunch of people, thank you so much for your time. I did realise it was difficult to find work but a recent trip to see acquaintances in Bordeaux (which we plan to live in or near) left me feeling positive that there would be some good opportunities to teach English. So I adopted a rather more positive outlook based on that. My oh is very encouraging and says, like someone on this thread, that once we get over there and see what's what and get involved in things, opportunities will arise. Unfortunately I'm the type of person that needs reassurance there will be something! Presumably there might be a demand for English lessons or club or holiday sessions of some description in such a big place and I'm guessing that even though setting up a business is hard, it's not impossible???? Does anyone have experience of this? Someone also suggested Skype which is interesting - do you mean set up an Internet business teaching students world wide? I guess an Internet business can be taken to any country but not sure I'm quite resourceful enough.
Again, thank you, all comments are so greatly appreciated.

Sarah
I have set up a business in France before, as other posts have indicated it is very expensive to do properly(legally) and very easy to run afoul of the rules. The Skype option isn't bad except it will take a lot of time finding clients and finding right methods to do so, One method is find an inexpensive teaching English as a second/foreign language. There are several companies who look for native speakers to teach English to Chinese students online. They don't pay much and hard to find a decent one, but that is one option.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 2:49 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I have set up a business in France before, as other posts have indicated it is very expensive to do properly(legally) and very easy to run afoul of the rules. The Skype option isn't bad except it will take a lot of time finding clients and finding right methods to do so, One method is find an inexpensive teaching English as a second/foreign language. There are several companies who look for native speakers to teach English to Chinese students online. They don't pay much and hard to find a decent one, but that is one option.
It is easier to set up a small business now than it was 10 years ago when the auto-entrepreneur regime arrived. Now called micro-entreprise. Starting small with the most minimal commitment is the way to test the waters but people do manage to make a living in France running their own businesses.
Take a look at this https://www.facebook.com/cwonlinegeography/?fref=ts This is the PUBLIC business page (that was for the mods ) of a very good friend of mine who teaches GCSE and A level geography online to students all over the world. She's doing fine - living in the middle of nowhere (but it's beautiful!) but France has committed many resources to ensuring that rural communities get good internet connections. The nature of the business is that the parents have to commit to at least 1 year of teaching from my friend, she does hardly any advertising and gets pupils mostly word of mouth. I know she uses a specific teaching software which both teacher and student have on their computers, not skype. I could find out what it is if anyone is interested?
Old Dec 6th 2016, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
It is easier to set up a small business now than it was 10 years ago when the auto-entrepreneur regime arrived. Now called micro-entreprise. Starting small with the most minimal commitment is the way to test the waters but people do manage to make a living in France running their own businesses.
Take a look at this https://www.facebook.com/cwonlinegeography/?fref=ts This is the PUBLIC business page (that was for the mods ) of a very good friend of mine who teaches GCSE and A level geography online to students all over the world. She's doing fine - living in the middle of nowhere (but it's beautiful!) but France has committed many resources to ensuring that rural communities get good internet connections. The nature of the business is that the parents have to commit to at least 1 year of teaching from my friend, she does hardly any advertising and gets pupils mostly word of mouth. I know she uses a specific teaching software which both teacher and student have on their computers, not skype. I could find out what it is if anyone is interested?
By the way could you send me your friend's contact information ? I may have a need for such services for my daughter.

I haven't looked at France for a while from a business aspect, I will look that info up. The French system overall for establishing and running a business is complicated, slow, expensive and a minefield of unforeseen costs and complications, though probably not more than Italy or other Latin countries.
Old Dec 12th 2016, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

moonblues is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luckycarrot
Hello there,
I wondered if anyone might be able to help me please. My oh and I are looking to locate to France next year and I'm keen to understand what work opportunities there might be. In England I work as a primary school teacher and I also teach English to foreign students. I'm working on my French but I'm not good enough to work in the language. My understanding is that I could work in an international school (not many jobs, I realise), private tutor out of school hours, teach adults privately one-on-one or perhaps work in a primary school teaching English (would love that but not sure how much work there would be and if I need to be string in fresh). My other idea is to set up a business - an English club where children can come after school, weekends, holidays to learn English creatively eg through cooking, art and craft, songs, drama workshops etc Or another business idea is to run a multi-sensory baby class in English but I don't know how popular that would be?? I get the impression there aren't many baby groups compared to in England and that mums tend to go back to work after just a few months and employ child care? If anybody would be willing to help me out I'd really appreciate it. If I knew what there might be a market for, I could be spending time planning material, writing song etc in preparation. Thank you in advance,

Sarah
Hi Sarah, my first time here, just stumbled upon your post and thought I'd give you some info.

I'm French and I teach English in France, before that, I taught French in the UK for 10 years. I know for a fact that you CAN teach English in a secondary school in France, state and private schools alike, without the teaching qualification. The big difference is that you do not have the same status.. you're not paid the same for instance...you would be a supply teacher......you will need some French whatever you decide to do...if you are interested and want to know more, let me know!

Vanessa
Old Dec 12th 2016, 10:52 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by moonblues
Hi Sarah, my first time here, just stumbled upon your post and thought I'd give you some info.

I'm French and I teach English in France, before that, I taught French in the UK for 10 years. I know for a fact that you CAN teach English in a secondary school in France, state and private schools alike, without the teaching qualification. The big difference is that you do not have the same status.. you're not paid the same for instance...you would be a supply teacher......you will need some French whatever you decide to do...if you are interested and want to know more, let me know!

Vanessa
How?
I am sceptical at secondary level - College and Lycee.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 6:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
How?
I am sceptical at secondary level - College and Lycee.
I replied yesterday with links to a useful website, but I still can't see my post.
No worries I'll just explain.

You can teach in France without teaching qualification at secondary level ( collège and lycée). However your status is not the same as a fully qualified teacher (who has a Masters : bac+ 5 and the competitive exam : capes / cafep... and therefore is called "titulaire").

If you are a supply teacher in a state school, you often start as a "vacataire" to then become a "contractuel" you require a minimum of bac +3 ( a degree level of education, usually held in the discipline you wish to teach, but it depends on needs , experience etc... )

If you are a supply teacher in a private school, you are called "suppléant".

to become a supply teacher, you must apply for it, the procedure is a bit different whether you want to work in a private or state school. Some academies are more "desperate" than others." You can try for both and see what comes first.

once you've applied ... you normally have an "interview" with the inspector in a state school or with school directors for private schools, at the end of these interviews, you do not have a job per se, but you become part of their list of "potential supply teachers" and they will contact you if they need you. It can be for a month, up to a year.

for more detailed infos in French though, you can google "devenir enseignant, contractuel ou vacataire." if you search the news in French on the subject, you'll find how easy it can be to become a supply teacher especially where they really are short on teachers.

hope that helps!

EDTIED TO ADD:

I forgot to mention you can also teach adults in "GRETA" these are adult training centres. In that case you are a "formateur" and here too you do not have to have the full qualifications. A lot of the English native speakers I know who are now fully qualified teachers in secondary schools, started there.

Last edited by moonblues; Dec 13th 2016 at 7:24 am.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 7:22 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I replied yesterday with links to a useful website, but I still can't see my post.
No worries I'll just explain.

You can teach in France without teaching qualification at secondary level ( collège and lycée). However your status is not the same as a fully qualified teacher (who has a Masters : bac+ 5 and the competitive exam : capes / cafep... and therefore is called "titulaire").

If you are a supply teacher in a state school, you often start as a "vacataire" to then become a "contractuel" you require a minimum of bac +3 ( a degree level of education, usually held in the discipline you wish to teach, but it depends on needs , experience etc... )

If you are a supply teacher in a private school, you are called "suppléant".

to become a supply teacher, you must apply for it, the procedure is a bit different whether you want to work in a private or state school. Some academies are more "desperate" than others." You can try for both and see what comes first.

once you've applied ... you normally have an "interview" with the inspector in a state school or with school directors for private schools, at the end of these interviews, you do not have a job per se, but you become part of their list of "potential supply teachers" and they will contact you if they need you. It can be for a month, up to a year.

for more detailed infos in French though, you can google "devenir enseignant, contractuel ou vacataire." if you search the news in French on the subject, you'll find how easy it can be to become a supply teacher especially where they really are short on teachers.

hope that helps!
Interesting info, but not really applicable to the OP.
As I said earlier in the thread, a Professeur teaching any foreign language in Collège/Lycée must surely need a thorough knowledge of French in order to explain the foreign-language grammar in terms that the pupils understand (e.g. complément d'objet indirect, complément circonstanciel de lieu, to name but two qurky terms).
If the OP as a UK Primary teacher is qualified to be a vacataire or contractuelle and is accepted on the list of supply teachers, she risks being sent anywhere in the Académie at any time, which might not suit as she has a baby....
And welcome to the Forum to you, by the way!
Old Dec 13th 2016, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
+1
Indeed, and thanks for sharing the info, that's interesting to know and I'm sure it will be useful to other lurkers on the forum even if not to the OP.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 7:35 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

@moonblue, another welcome from me.

The "missing post" is probably in the moderator queue. It's BE policy to put a hold on posts from very new members containing links.

It will emerge in the fullness of time.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 7:57 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I forgot to mention you can also teach adults in "GRETA" these are adult training centres. In that case you are a "formateur" and here too you do not have to have the full qualifications. A lot of the English native speakers I know who are now fully qualified teachers in secondary schools, started there.
You're a mine of information!!
The GRETA in our nearest town only does vocational training, but there must be English classes as I coached a girl once who was preparing for a professional Concours and had to get a decent mark in the English section of the exam.
Completely off-topic, but, in addition to Bac+5 and CAPES, what other qualificiations are needed to teach French in a UK school? (one of French OH's granddaughters would like to do this).
Old Dec 13th 2016, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
Interesting info, but not really applicable to the OP.
As I said earlier in the thread, a Professeur teaching any foreign language in Collège/Lycée must surely need a thorough knowledge of French in order to explain the foreign-language grammar in terms that the pupils understand (e.g. complément d'objet indirect, complément circonstanciel de lieu, to name but two qurky terms).
If the OP as a UK Primary teacher is qualified to be a vacataire or contractuelle and is accepted on the list of supply teachers, she risks being sent anywhere in the Académie at any time, which might not suit as she has a baby....
thanks for the welcome.

Grammar is not taught anymore (or shouldn't) in such a straight forward manner in English classes today, and certainly not using over complicated terms. We let students observe language patterns more than anything. Teaching is Project / task based. Noone is going to check that the OP knows French Grammar (to become a supply teacher), that is not true. And even so, it's not that complicated to learn a few simple useful terms : adjectives, verbs, nouns. Learning never stops , that's the teacher talking

You do not have to accept a job, or a contract if it's too far away. You can also make use of a "creche" and children can start school as young as 2, 5 years old, mine did.

If you wish to stay in your "département", then you try for Private schools, it's much easier...

In any case, the OP will do what feels right, but I think i think it's important to know what's actually possible and to keep your options open, the point being you can teach in France without teaching qualifications.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dmu
You're a mine of information!!
The GRETA in our nearest town only does vocational training, but there must be English classes as I coached a girl once who was preparing for a professional Concours and had to get a decent mark in the English section of the exam.
Completely off-topic, but, in addition to Bac+5 and CAPES, what other qualificiations are needed to teach French in a UK school? (one of French OH's granddaughters would like to do this).
well I stopped by to give some info, so I'm glad you think it's useful

In the UK you require the PGCE (the equivalent of the CAPES) to teach, but if you already have the CAPES you're in luck, it's just down to paper work. A friend of mine just did it. You have to prove your qualifications with "properly translated" documents.... it takes a while to come though I've heard, but it's possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.