Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Tax Fonciere and Tax D'habitation

Wikiposts

Tax Fonciere and Tax D'habitation

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:13 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Fonciere and Tax D'habitation

Can't help but think Mr Kitkat is not for real ... I mean, been in France for 4 years and assuming he has been taxed the same over all these years ... He never ever asked anybody a question about this ? Again assuming he arrived in France straight from the UK, he must have realized that those amounts are enormous !!! Even me (coming from Belgium) would never have paid this without asking around !!!
Are you for real Kitkat ???
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:29 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Unless I am mistaken the taxe d'habitation is calculated on various factors which include your total habitable surface area, and the number of bathrooms, so you add together the floor space of each habitable room plus an extra tax per bathroom (because they are seen as luxuries!). Basically it reflects the perceived rental value of the property so there are other factors too, like the desirability of the location, the presence or absence of nearby amenities, overall condition of the property and whether it has luxuries like swimming pools. And then, it varies a lot from commune to commune. I'm not convinced that being a tall thin house as opposed to a short fat one would affect your taxe d'habitation.
Tax D'habitation also depends on income ... No income, no tax ! (been there, done that).
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 7:08 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Annetje
Tax D'habitation also depends on income ... No income, no tax ! (been there, done that).
Hi, slight correction - being liable to pay the Taxe d'Habitation depends on whether your income is "imposable" or not. Strictly speaking, income below a certain threshold = no tax.
As mentioned above, the Taxe d'H is based on the virtual rental value if you are the owner, and the more bathrooms you declare for example, the more Taxe d'H you pay.
If this is the first time they've received both Taxes, maybe Kitkat's sums correspond to the back payment (and fines) for their three-four years of residence? Or maybe the computer made a mistake? In either case a trip to their local Centre des Impôts is necessary, the owner(s) armed with the Acte de Propriété of the property and as many UK Pension documents as possible.

Last edited by dmu; Nov 22nd 2012 at 7:24 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help but think Mr Kitkat is not for real ... I mean, been in France for 4 years and assuming he has been taxed the same over all these years ... He never ever asked anybody a question about this ? Again assuming he arrived in France straight from the UK, he must have realized that those amounts are enormous !!! Even me (coming from Belgium) would never have paid this without asking around !!!
Are you for real Kitkat ???
+1

I suspect that since he is asking the question now, his payment deadline is 15 Dec which suggests he is classed as a non-resident holiday home owner (because for most residents, the deadline is 15 November) - which would be logical if he's never declared himself to the impots as resident. That being the case, reductions/exemptions don't apply to non-residents so I doubt that showing them his UK pension slips will help much.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 8:52 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

+1

I suspect that since he is asking the question now, his payment deadline is 15 Dec which suggests he is classed as a non-resident holiday home owner (because for most residents, the deadline is 15 November) - which would be logical if he's never declared himself to the impots as resident. That being the case, reductions/exemptions don't apply to non-residents so I doubt that showing them his UK pension slips will help much.
Kit kat said "we live in", which to me means they are residents, and asked how to go about getting a Tax Return form, which means that none of them have been declaring their UK Pensions since they've been here. Hence my suggestion that they all go along to the Centre des Impôts with their documents to sort all three types of taxes out and get themselves "regularized" (well before 15th December, otherwise they'll have a late-payment fine of 10% of the total)
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 8:59 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Annetje

This is interesting, I've been told by the tax office that taxe d'habitation is still payable - even though it is a second home and one earns no income in France....

I think I have misunderstood something about this and the 'imposable' point.

Thanks

Jon
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Point(s) of information please.
We have just received out taxe d'habitation, which is due by the 17th (not 15th). We paid our taxe fonciere some months ago.

But we also did fill in French tax returns, and have paid our income tax.

Do we need to do something extra to register as fiscally resident? We bought the house about February last year, and the previous owner paid the taxe d'habitation.

Is there somewhere on the tax demand form that tells me whether it is classed as a holiday home? I could read it all through, but there is an awful lot of legelase there, although I do speak fairly decent French.

(I would prefer to sort all this out before I go down and apply to put in a swimming pool).
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
We have just received out taxe d'habitation, which is due by the 17th (not 15th). We paid our taxe fonciere some months ago.

Do we need to do something extra to register as fiscally resident? We bought the house about February last year, and the previous owner paid the taxe d'habitation.

Is there somewhere on the tax demand form that tells me whether it is classed as a holiday home? I could read it all through, but there is an awful lot of legelase there, although I do speak fairly decent French.

(I would prefer to sort all this out before I go down and apply to put in a swimming pool).
We had to fill in a registration form for tax fonciere & habitation and that included a question whether it was a main residence or secondaire.
I don't know that it makes any difference to the tax due but certainly does for Capital Gains Tax.
We also pay by direct debit each month which means we dont miss any payment deadlines.

Last edited by cyrian; Nov 22nd 2012 at 9:14 pm. Reason: addition
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi Annetje

This is interesting, I've been told by the tax office that taxe d'habitation is still payable - even though it is a second home and one earns no income in France....

I think I have misunderstood something about this and the 'imposable' point.

Thanks

Jon
Any reductions are for your principal residence only, and are based on your 'revenu fiscale de reference', which is a figure that is arrived at once the tax office has assessed your tax return and is stated on your avis d'imposition.

There are no reductions in taxes on second homes, either for French taxpayers or for non-residents.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bigglesworth

I'm sure that if you've paid tax, they know you're fiscally resident.

If you look at the back of your avis d'impot for the taxe d'habitation, does it have your RFR (revenu fiscale de reference) stated on it, in the box at the top, to the right of your name? If so, you have been assessed as resident. If that box is blank, go in and ask. But I know there are certain exceptions to the Nov/Dec deadlines though I don't know what they are. (Normally it's always 15th but I see 15 Dec was a Saturday this year!)
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Both tax fonciere and d'habitation are payable on any home - be it secondary or main - we paid it when it was a holiday home and daughter and son-in-law who bought the house next door also pay it (they are non-resident). Because the ground area of their house is bigger than ours they pay more - but not a vast amount. The cost of the television licence is included by the way.

You simply must register as resident - otherwise all sorts of problems will eventually arise. You can get the forms you need online or go to the tax office, but if you neither speak or write french well you might find it worth your while to seek advice from a qualified financial advisor. There are several English speaking or indeed English companies who can help - google!! If they are anything like ours the initial consultation will be free. He has been a huge help and over the years has saved us a lot of money - even though my husband is virtually bi-lingual understanding financial matters in any language is not easy and in French it is a nightmare.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure that if you've paid tax, they know you're fiscally resident.

If you look at the back of your avis d'impot for the taxe d'habitation, does it have your RFR (revenu fiscale de reference) stated on it, in the box at the top, to the right of your name? If so, you have been assessed as resident. If that box is blank, go in and ask. But I know there are certain exceptions to the Nov/Dec deadlines though I don't know what they are. (Normally it's always 15th but I see 15 Dec was a Saturday this year!)
You have a few days grace if you pay online before you get the 10% late payment penalty.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The tax calendar with all the deadlines is here, quite useful

http://www.impots.gouv.fr/portal/dgi...entDate=201212
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 10:28 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

The tax calendar with all the deadlines is here, quite useful

http://www.impots.gouv.fr/portal/dgi...entDate=201212
By going on-line with your reference numbers you can set up monthly payments or annual payments by direct debit, so you'll never be late. I do mine annually.... just make sure there's enough money in the account as its around Xmas time! I have an annual reminder on my phone. They'll take it on 27/12/12 this time

Jon
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

kit kat is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,
I would like to thank everybody that has answered my questions on the taxes,they have been very helpful,and I am now on my way to sort this horrid mess out at the tax office .Thanks again
"Vive la revolution"
Will give you an update as to how I get on at a later date Kit Kat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.